Small Town Brewery to begin bottling their adult root beers

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by beergurujr, Oct 31, 2012.

1. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

They are waiting on label approval.
    http://www.smalltownbrewery.com/#/contacts/

I've tasted the 10% version on draught plenty of times now. I've noticed it evolves in the keg as it slowly continues to ferment, drying out and thinning over time.

Short of ultra tight filtering and/or pasteurization, what's to prevent this super sweet beer from becoming the next bottle bomb? Any experts out there care to comment?

2. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Great news, I can't pull the trigger on buying a keg of beer I haven't had so I'll finally get to buy this.

3. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

All three versions are damn tasty, indeed. I've been looking at their prospective labels for some time nowand am glad to see they're finally moving forward. Can't wait...

4. beergurujr

The NA root beer I don't worry about. Will be a great seller for those love a well made traditional root beer.

5. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

I could be wrong, but normal filtering would seem to be sufficient to reduce the risk of fermentation-related explosion. And, either way, I don't think normal bottle-conditioning would be too much more volatile here than in other beers, though an "Open By" dating system might be helpful (keep a bottle of All Star Bakery Kvass in your closet for a couple weeks and understand where I'm coming from).

...on second though, filtration all the way...

beergurujr likes this.
  6. beergurujr

TMoney, you recall Flossmoor Station, Wild Onion, others. There have been issues in the past locally. Better to install a flash pastuerizer at STB for the bottled alcoholic sweet stuff (including the Apple Cider Ale). Better safe than sorry. IMHO.

7. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (425) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I pretty excited about this. I really love this stuff.

8. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Still havent yried anything from them yet so close

9. mrn1ceguy

mrn1ceguy Savant (360) Illinois Oct 5, 2012

They had it the 10% at World of Beer in Naperville and it was surprisingly good. Looking forward to getting a bottle.

10. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Whats the place in Dundee that has this stuff on tap?

EDIT: I think I figured it out on their website...Bikini Bottom

11. BDub81

BDub81 Aficionado (135) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Keep your eyes open... Coming soon to Fischman Liquors!

tinypyramids, beergurujr and Bay01 like this.
  12. BDub81

BDub81 Aficionado (135) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

We are tapping this at our next, Tap This! January 24th which will feature all local breweries. Check it out!

13. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

beergurujr likes this.