Smaller Barrels

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GRBrew, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRBrew

GRBrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2009 Michigan

Does anyone in Michigan know of a place to get 5-15 gallons barrels? I have a 53 gal bourbon and 60 gallon wine barrel going with some sours but am looking to do smaller projects. Thanks.

2. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

aderousseau likes this.
  3. GRBrew

4. thetomG

thetomG Savant (1,051) Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

every so often they've got 5 gallon Whiskey barrels from Balcones (in Texas) at homebrewing.org - usually about $100ish shipped....

5. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (1,097) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

I think New Holland resells the barrels they use for their spirits.

6. GRBrew

I emailed about a month ago and they are out. I sent another email but have not heard back.

7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (1,105) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

8. rcusick

rcusick Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Virginia

9. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

10. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

I don't know how I feel about these smaller barrels. I just pulled an Imperial stout of of a 6 gallon barrel, its a hair over oaked at this point. It was in the barrel for a week.

The barrel previously help a batch of red wine, then two batched of camden water sat in it for a little over a month, and then it still oaked the hell out of the stout. I can't imagine what to put in it now, unless I want it super oaky.

11. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I agree. Smaller Barrel = More Surface Area = More Oxygen = Faster (Over?) Aging.I've had beers aged in little barrels and they've always tasted at least a little overly-oaky. I've also had whiskeys home-aged in those little barrels and those always seemed over-oaked to me as well. Honestly, I like using chips or cubes. I'd be interested to see what results would come from a 15 gallon barrel. Hoopman and I brew 12 gal batches and a 15gal barrel would be perfect. I'd love to try to do a lambic in one.

12. Rbald42

Rbald42 Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2008 Minnesota

Farmhouse brewing did have used 5 and 10 gal. rum and brandy barrels a week or so ago. Don't know if he still has any but he gets them from time to time.

13. DaveJanssen

DaveJanssen Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2008 Germany

Not that Ive used them, but I would also shy away from small barrels. Not only do you have the surface to volume issue that people are mentioning (meaning more oak and oxygen) but the barrels are also made out of thinner staves which means they are more permeable to oxygen. If you have access to the book Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow he gives a lot of good information on some of the issues yu might experience with them.

Tad and Hokenfloken like this.
  14. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I agree. "Wild Brews" is a must-read. It's probably my favorite beer book.

15. Wolfsdenbrew

Wolfsdenbrew Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2004 New Mexico

Small barrels can work just fine, you just have to monitor them more frequently. You will not age a beer in a small barrel near as long as you would a large barrel. I have aged a sour in a 5 gal barrel. I left it in the barrel with bugs for only 3 mos though and then transferred it back to a carboy.

16. readbaron

readbaron Initiate (0) May 12, 2010 Illinois

Koval in Chicago sells barrels - not sure on the price or size. They only age their whisky for a couple years (2 I think) if that matters.

17. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Price when we picked up our barrels from Koval for our club barrel project last year was $75, I think they have since gone up to $100. They are 33 gallon barrels, but we did spy a beautiful 12.5 - 15 gallon barrel that we were told was off limits. Would have been perfect for a two person sour project...

Nothing but good things to say about the folks at Koval and the barrel we got from them, the Spelt and Millet barrels have been our favorites so far with Rye just behind.

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  18. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

My first batch in my 5 gallon barrel was a Vanilla bourbon porter, sat for 2 days and was very charred and oaky. I rinsed the hell out of it running alot of water through it and now have had a triple in it for about 2-3 weeks and still tastes amazing.

19. BrocksHomebrew

BrocksHomebrew Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

20. GRBrew

What is the shipping to MI on one of those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.