1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

SMBDC: The Revival

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Brez07, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Attention all SMBDC members, past and present (and future)!

Seems like the group has faded a bit here the past few months, but I know we all still like drinking beer so I figure it's time to get another one of these threads going. I'd like to host the next meeting at our new house in Portland. I'm thinking either 9/8 (although that may be too short of notice for some) or 9/22. Who's in???
  2. ToasterChef

ToasterChef Savant (450) Maine Mar 26, 2008

I'll probably be unable to attend anything this month, as Nissa and I welcomed our second child this past Tuesday, a daughter named Greta. But hopefully I won't be as busy later in the fall and can come to other meetings. I will be stopping in to the NERAX@Novare event and can meet up with others then.
  3. Congrats to both members!! Houses and babys oh my.

It has been pretty quiet for SMBDC lately so I think the later date would work better to get the word back out. Either way I'm up for a meeting this month on either day.
  4. Heater

Heater Aficionado (105) Maine Dec 11, 2007

I'm down with either option. Can't wait!

Also, I've been thinking about hosting on October 20th.
  5. DrEntropy

DrEntropy Aficionado (140) Maine Jun 26, 2010

So sad, we're overbooked for pretty much every weekend in Sept already, but I might be able to stop in on the 22nd for a bit mid-afternoon. I'd love to see the new house.

Jim, congratulations to you and Nissa! I'll look for you at NERAX.

October is wide open except for the Beer and Pemaquid Mussel Fest at Marshall Wharf on the 13th. We've booked our rooms already at the Belfast Harbor Inn and we already have an interesting group of beer geeks staying there on Saturday night. However, with all the high ABV offerings, this event is a very tough tasting to stage an epic after party back at the hotel and we barely damaged the coolers at all last year. We know what to expect this year tho!

Anyone interested in joining us (or already planning to go and staying elsewhere)?
  6. I will be there, but am staying in Blue Hill as usual with friends for some kayaking. Looking forward to seeing "the usual suspects." And will be at NERAX @ Novare on Friday.
    DrEntropy likes this.
  7. hiphopipa

hiphopipa Aficionado (210) Maine Jul 19, 2008

Future SMBDC wanna be here.
    We've got a room booked at the Belfast Harbor in for the 13th. We're really looking forward to it-its been over a year since weve been to Marshall Wharf, and if all goes we'll get a preview of the Old 59 from the Bowmore sherry cask!
    See you all at NERAX- (aka the night of the Chalice!)
  8. DrEntropy

The SMBDC needs some new enthusiastic members so you are more than welcome to join us anytime hiphopipa. I'd think you could find someone who could ID some of us at NERAX but if not, look for us under the deck at MW at the tables (assuming they set this up the same way) which is where we hung last year. Or come to the tasting on 9/22!

Matt, my schedule looks like it's going to open up and I think I can now make this tasting instead of simply doing a drive by that day. Thanks for offering to host this upcoming gathering!
  9. emaineiacman

emaineiacman Zealot (90) Maine Oct 25, 2007

Hi All,
    Yes it does seem like the group has faded in recent months. Let's get it going again, what we share is truly unique. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend either of those Sept. dates. I do plan on being at NERAX at some point and will also be going up to MW, so I will see folks there.
    Cheers,
    Michael
  10. We know you're a bit busy setting up something in Durham haha. Read about you in the Tri-Town Weekly, hope the planning board meeting went well on Wednesday.
  11. emaineiacman

emaineiacman Zealot (90) Maine Oct 25, 2007

On Wednesday night I got final approval from the Town of Durham to open a brewery on Rt.125. named Katahdin Beers, a first step in moving towards licensing and brewing. So....I am staying very involved in the industry obviously and will need plenty of taste testers (guinea-pigs) for the test batches I'm brewing. I'd love to see this group become more regular again...the passion for great beers was strong and the diversity of everyone's palettes made every tasting unique and adventurous. I know lots of people who would love to be in a group like this.
    DrEntropy and duchessedubourg like this.
  12. hiphopipa

It's Hollie, Tim. Lawrence and I will spot you all a mile away & we looking forward to it!
  13. DrEntropy

Nice alias Hollie - never would have guessed it was you. Such a hoot!

Michael, sign me up for the guinea pig squad. Totally psyched and I WILL work for beer...

See you both tomorrow night at NERAX - planning to get there early to get a spot on the deck.
  14. Brez07

Ok, so looks like there's enough interest for a meeting next Saturday, 9/22/12. Make it an open theme to keep things easy. BM for the address. Regular start time (2p for any new peeps wanting to join in). In the meantime, hope to see a bunch of you guys later today at the NERAX fest
  15. DrEntropy

White Birch 3.0 - The First Three Years

We're hosting the next SMBDC meeting on Oct 20 - it will be our annual White Birch blowout tasting where you bring the food and we pillage the White Birch collection in our beer cellar.

We're starting at 2 pm and holding this outside rain or shine this year. We'll set up tents and add a tarp city in the yard if needed so dress appropriately that day. We'll also have fires of course.

I'm not going to list this on the BA Calendar so you'll need to RSVP via BM or email. We have to limit this event to ~20 or so folks so we can do 2-bottle pours with the big bottles. The old stocks are running low and multiple bottle pours are a happy memory for many of the 2-3 yo bottles. I think there may be some 1 oz pours along the way...

As part of the ongoing SMBDC membership outreach program, I'm also inviting pretty much everyone else I know in the local beer world as well, so let me know ASAP if you're coming. I have 7 confirmations already just from casual discussions over the past 2 days.

Cheers, and hope to see you on Saturday! I'm bringing Element...
  16. DrEntropy

M&S - Thanks again for hosting the SMBDC yesterday - these open theme tastings rock since you never know what folks will haul out of the cellar. Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate AND Chocolate Rain? Both were so delicious! The rest of the lineup was nearly as good and the mix worked well. So much tasty fun!

I think I may have left my camera there - a Canon Powershot - I'll swing by to collect it next week one day after work if I did.

Love your new home and am jealous! It's absolutely perfect for these types of gatherings.
  17. DrEntropy

Who's going to be at the Marshall Wharf annual beer and mussel festival tomorrow? Tap list is once again awesome and I can't wait!

Unless we are carried back in an ambulance, there will be an epic bottle share at the Belfast Harbor Inn afterwards. You know what to do...
  18. Brez07

If I didn't already have plans, I would totally be going up. Still haven't been. One of these years...
  19. Stopped by MW last night on my way to Blue Hill for a chat with David, and the Wet Dog (which is what is in the cans) is very tasty! Didn't get a crack at the Bowmores so looking forward to tasting them first thing tonight. PS: Have some HT and Lawson's Hopzilla with me if there are any traders lurking...
  20. DrEntropy

We're still on for White Birch 3.0 tomorrow starting at 2 pm outdoors, rain or shine. Some folks are coming through between 4-7 by the sounds of it so I think this will all work fine. Contact me if you need the address or haven't confirmed. We can squeeze in a few more folks...
  21. Sorry I'll miss it! Co-hosting a beer & cheese event w/ Bill Herlicka this Tuesday night in Warner, NH if anyone is in the neighborhood! This one is all NH cheeses, paired with: Hooksett, Brustaris, 3, Mabon, Nyx, and Oude Timey.
  22. DrEntropy

We'll miss you Ruth but we'll see you during Portland Beer Geek Week!

Screen tent, 2 pop-ups and a huge tarp set up in the yard and the fire's going already. It's looking like it will be a fantastic fall day to drink awesome beer outdoors in Maine!

Just had lunch and starting to pull bottles out of the cellar to set up onto our new beer presentation/cooler table we salvaged from one of the nearby businesses this summer, and already have have the full pyramid table set up this year to display the many dead soldiers that are inevitable.

I'll post photos later of the two beer shrines we've built outside to celebrate the life of beer. I think we may have stumbled across a new hot religion here...

Cheers!
  23. hiphopipa

What a great night of great friends and beers with the brewer himself giving a guided tour of the incredible spectrum of WB beers. Many thanks to two incredible hosts! Too soon to RSVP for next year?
    barleywinebrewer likes this.
  24. DrEntropy

Mostly just posting to keep this "revival" thread from being archived. :rolleyes:

The Oxbow Goods from the Woods tasting last weekend totally rocked - great to see some of you folks there. So much tasty fun!

Anyone interested in hosting a December gathering or do we skip a month and restart in January?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We're digging into epic stouts this weekend given the drop in temp the past few weeks.
  25. If you guys swing through Hooksett on your way to MA for the epic stout tasting I've got some fresh Indulgence I can donate to the party. Cheers
  26. Brez07

Zwanze Day could be the meet up? Maybe we could do a little pub crawl out of it, hitting Mama's (or LFK, Nosh, etc) afterwards?
  27. I will be over for Z-Day. Am bringing a few HFB's to share if interest. If anyone wants HT, please let me know via beermail before Friday the 30th, 12noon so I can stop at the cannery enroute.
  28. DrEntropy

Thanks Bill, I'd gladly mule this down but I'm heading to western MA shortly and will be driving to the Black Friday Stout tasting from there tomorrow. Maybe someone else heading down from Maine tomorrow can stop by?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
  29. DrEntropy

I'll be at Zwanze Day and that sounds like a great idea. I'll also be in touch for a bit of HT Ruth! See you all at NR that day.
  30. I will do this, haha.