1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Smoked hops.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by rvajohn, Dec 23, 2012.

1. rvajohn

rvajohn Savant (255) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

Has anyone tried or "wood" it work to dry out hops, with a cool smoke on a smoker? Might make some interesting beers

2. Since smoke and hops generally do not work well together I'd be suspect of committing much of a harvest to it. I'd really think about what kind of hops I would smoke to create the sort of complimentary smoke-hops combination found in gratzer.

I'd be suspicious that the smoke wouldn't really attach well to the hops. Could be an interesting experiment though.

OddNotion likes this.
  3. rvajohn

I'd guess the best way to get smoke into the beer would be to smoker another ingredient, like fruit or spices.

4. Best way is to just smoke malt.

5. rvajohn

What's the process? I have a Weber Bullet Smoker. Has tgo be cool, right?

6. A video on Princeton Homebrew's website shows him toasting the hops with the sun... I forget what he said this contributed to the beer.

7. I have read about some toasting hops in the oven.

Smoking hops? Probably not a good idea. Try it and report back.

The classic Rauchbiers have the malt dried with wood smoke. You should be able to find information on the net. Or you can buy smoked malt.

8. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

hops were traditionally dried in wooden huts with a smoldering fire. though the intent was not to contribute any smoke flavor these hops were not smoky. these distinctive cone shaped huts are rare in Europe due to the fact they tended to burn down. go figure.
    smoked malt is really your best bet. but we are homebrewers so by all means do your own thing. this is America.

i do not think a wet plant will gain much smoke flavor no matter what, but thats just a guess based on years of screwing with grills and smokers. and you'll probably want to experimant with dry hopping your smoked hops. boiling will just volatalize any smoke flavor, no?

cheers.

9. The smoke flavor from and aroma in a Rauchbier carries through the mash and the boil.

10. Hops will degrade immensely if dried too fast or too slow...ie smoking them...if that's what you want, go ahead.

11. wouldn't you smoke out the oils?

12. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

If you really want to do this, you should research "cold-smoking". This is basically forcing smoke into a chamber that is away from a heat source. It is a less pungent smokiness, but wont degrade proteins, oils, etc. Scottish-style smoked salmon would be the most recognizable example of this.
    I hope to god Marquis and Pattro don't stumble onto this remark and chew me out for saying "Scottish-style"

franklinn likes this.
  13. No Offense, But sounds Gross. Cheese

14. Yeah, a smoked scent picked up by hops dried in a wood-fired kiln would have been considered a defect, according to The Hop; Its Culture and Cure, Marketing and Manufacture [1899]

15. Is bacon not cold smoked?

16. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

It is, but it can handle a kind of middle ground.

I.e. I can make my own bacon in a regular ol' smoker in the winter with some care, but wouldn't try it with salmon.

17. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

It is, but bacon is usually cooked after smoking. Hot dogs as well. I wanted to use an example where cold smoking was the final step in the process.