'Smokiest' Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

It's a great beer, but it's nowhere near as smokey as others mentioned in this thread.

2. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (265) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Almost forgot about Burning Bush smoked IPA. Had for New Years in Cali thanks to my brother. Damn, what a beer!

3. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (265) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yeah, I gotta get my hands on some of these if so!

4. HumanParaquat

HumanParaquat Savant (430) Indiana Jun 23, 2011

We'll have to check the ISUs ;)

5. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (390) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter is delicious. If you're in Texas.

6. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (390) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

and

The Bruery Smoking Wood Rye

Rizalini likes this.
  7. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Red Brick's Smoked Vanilla Gorilla was smoky as hell. Apparently the bottles were infected though.

8. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Ha! It would be cool if there were some way to measure smokiness.

9. It may not be the smokiest, but I am a huge fan of the Smoke & Dagger, as well as of Jack's Abby in general. It is listed as a Rauchbier, described as a combination between a smoked porter and a schwartzbier, and is all awesome. Not overwhelming but certainly will give you that smoke fix ;). I also love Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter.

10. Second this! Really great smoked beer though no longer brewed.

11. Hill Farmstead's Fear and Trembling was crazy smoky, even after it was aged in barrels. They're finally releasing the non-barrel aged version of it for the first time next month and it shouldn't be too limited - I think it might just blow your mind.

12. Seems like Leaning Chimney gets smokier as it warms>

13. wyoming

wyoming Aficionado (140) Wyoming Sep 4, 2007

the smoking wood rye is one of my favorites and i also remember my first smoked beer lefthand smokejumper

14. zaphodchak

zaphodchak Savant (290) Virginia May 24, 2010

Weyerbacher 15, though it might be hard to find.

15. LoneJedi

LoneJedi Disciple (50) Tennessee Aug 2, 2012

I haven't had that many but smoked porter from YAZOO ! called "Sue" is by far my favorite , and for the price of $5.99 even better !

16. I sure hope Captain Lawrence is a regular offering- it almost makes up for the fact that we can't get Alaskan on the east coast. I can see myself getting that one a lot.

I also like Lavery's, but that one isn't all that smoky (it does have a nice chocolatey undercurrent to it, though).

For those who make rauchbier/stout blends, I have settled upon 60% Schlenkerla Urbock/ 40% Southern Tier 2xStout- that's some good drinkin' right there, tellyawhat.

beerloserLI likes this.
  17. Zimm

Zimm Savant (490) New Jersey May 18, 2012

I will third Left Hand Smokejumper! I enjoyed it a lot. It had depth and complexity to me, which I greatly appreciated.

I also picked up Magic Hat's Burn Pile, based on a friend's recommendation, that I have yet to try!

18. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Haven't had them all, but Surly Smoke is the smokiest I have tried. It's like meat cooked over a campfire.

19. Interesting, I'll pay more attention next time. Admittedly, I drank the one that I had fairly quick.

20. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

For readily available, I really like Left Hand Smoke Jumper or Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter.

But if you have a chance to get a growler, or get a pint of it in the Austin area, I think Thirsty Planet's Franklin BBQ Smoked Porter is the best I've had. Aaron Franklin (owner of Franklin, which was voted best BBQ in the U.S. by Bon Appetit) does all the smoking for them, and it is literally like drinking liquid BBQ - smoky, meaty and full of flavor. It should be available again in the Austin area soon.

[​IMG]

21. 8 Wired Big Smoke isnt probably the most smokey beer but really good. smoke is definitely the most predominant characteristic though

22. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Savant (330) Texas Nov 27, 2012

Stone Smoked Porter