Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest cometh. Limited tickets left for Friday, February 5th in Boston.

Buy yours now →
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Smoking in Philly bars?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Providence, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hi all, I am greatly anticipating my first trip to Philly coming up next month. Before we make a game plan on where to drink, I was wondering if you could clear up what the smoking situation is down there. Doing some quick research online (admittedly, not thorough at all), it seems as if you can't smoke in restaurants but you can in bars. Is this true?

If there is smoking in certain beer-centric places, could you please tell me some of the best NON-Smoking spots to hit?

Thanks in advance!
  2. mr1581

mr1581 Aficionado (245) Pennsylvania Jul 3, 2006 Verified

Stand Outside....it's better for all of us.... in reality..philly is smoke free -- restaurants and bars -- only a few places that got waivers allow you to smoke ( but they do not have any redeeming qualities)
  3. Bars to avoid if you don't like smoke (I don't either):
    - 12 Steps Down
    - Ray's Happy Birthday Bar
    - Locust Bar
    - McGlincheys

All of the destination bars for beer in the city are smoke-free, so you'll likely have no problem avoiding the few weird smokey ones.
    Providence likes this.
  4. as CanConPhilly has already said, most of the great beer destinations in philly are smoke-free. to be able to get a permit, only a small % of your profit can be from food sales, so the places that do allow smoking are basically dive bars. the 'nicest' of the batch, if you can call it that, is 12 Steps Down. But if you're just visiting, that place is easy to avoid and not exactly something that would be on a top list of places to visit. sorry, 12 Steps. i still love you.

the only good beer bar i can think of that still allows smoking is the Hulmeville Inn. and that is waaaaay outside of the city proper in the 'burbs. Doubt you'll be heading up that ways.
    Providence likes this.
  5. Thank you for the info! Much appreciated. Seems like I've got all the information I need. Moderators, feel free to delete/lockdown/etc.

6. TomFoley

TomFoley Savant (265) Pennsylvania Mar 19, 2005

I love McGlinchey's, though it's tough having Jose's next door and Good Dog up the street. That combination has done me in more than a few times.