1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Smuttynose Imperial Stout is coming back!!!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by seplo, May 22, 2013.

1. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

After a few year hiatus the good people of Smuttynose have FINALLY heard the masses and are bringing this bad boy back in January. Not that I minded the Zinneke ( Belgian-Style Stout ), it's just not anywhere near the beer that the Imperial Stout is.
    I personally love this hopped up version of Imperial Stout.
    What are your thoughts?

BlueRogue, ktblue22, smutty33 and 2 others like this.
  2. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

I've always thought the Smuttynose Imperial Stout was worth its weight in gold and flying way under the radar. Glad its making a come back. I'd love to see them package it in a 4 pack though.

smutty33, JuliusCaesar and seplo like this.
  3. good news to me. I always loved their IS for it's hop forward attitude. 4pks would be nice too

errantnight and seplo like this.
  4. Awesome.

seplo likes this.
  5. This beer got me into stouts and got me on Beer Advocate. My vertical can continue.

Trevdawg, smutty33 and seplo like this.
  6. Thank god. Love this beer. Great fresh, great with age, well priced. A winner all around.

Trevdawg, Psykhe, Gosox8787 and 2 others like this.
  7. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

Looking forward to it. They distribute to my area now and I'm always open to trying a good new Imp Stout.

seplo likes this.
  8. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Good thing I just saw this thread, I was ruminating between opening a 2011 Stone IRS and a 2008 Smutty Imperial Stout ten minutes ago. Now I know I should hold onto the 2008 bottle I found a few months ago so I can side-by-side them.

9. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Too hop forward for me fresh, but great with a few years on it. Happy to see it coming back.

10. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Now,if only Boulevard would bring back their Impy Stout(smokestack series)! That one I miss!

11. As long as its like the all the previous versions that were hoppy/bitter and not the sweeter, less hoppy version they brewed last time.

smutty33 and seplo like this.
  12. seplo

Couldn't agree with you more. That's why the people who like it love it. I'm not a fan of sweet stouts but to each its own

13. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Smutty Impy.
    I have missed you in the regular big beer series rotation,but as you know
    I have been enjoying past vintages of yourself at home.Glad your finally back.

Mmmmm,Good Kind.

I too hope they brew the hoppier version,2011's are drinkin nice,but def. my least favorite vintage.
    I now also,can continue my vertical.:)

Cheers All.....

seplo likes this.
  14. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

I'm a huge Smutty fan - so I'm excited. I remember drinking this in 2007-2008 and really enjoying it.

I miss living in NH... $10 Finestkind 12-packs (the Market Basket special!), and Big Beer series bombers at every store.

BrownAleMale, smutty33 and seplo like this.
  15. Psykhe

Psykhe Aficionado (195) Maryland Oct 7, 2010

Score!

16. I thought my taste buds had changed. I was not blown away with the last batch. It was still solid, but I felt it was less of what I love.

smutty33 likes this.
  17. I'm moving across the street from the brewery so this is good news...

18. seplo

I know, it wasn't as hopped up as the years previous. I hope they go back to the hoppy recipe

19. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Never had it, but I am a fan of everything that I have had in that series. The Baltic porter is easily in my top 10.

smutty33 likes this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Glad to hear it is coming back! Smutty has come out with a few good 'uns in the meanwhile, most notably Durty, but Zinneke was the biggest fail of a beer from a brewery I love in recent memory. Can't wait for a fresh bottle of Imperial Stout though.

21. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Really happy it's coming back. Hopefully we see some Baltic porter I'm ct as well

22. Only had one bottle of this, loved it. Zinneke however, I did not like at all.

23. Love their Imperial Stout, but please for the love of god bring back Maibock, Smuttynose!!

24. 2Xmd

2Xmd Advocate (560) New York Apr 19, 2013

25. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Damn, just when I was over dark beer! ;)

26. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Awesome! I have not opened my last bottle because I didnt want to go without the possibility of drinking this. Once I have a few bottles I can open one.

27. I like this stout. It is very well done. Dark fruit esters and flavor and the 9.8% ABV is well integrated into the mix. I haven't had it since 2010 so I'm looking forward to trying it again.