SN Beer Camp Across America

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by runfoodrun, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToadiesForCody

ToadiesForCody Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota

Sounds like the 12 packs hit in the northwest suburbs but that the allocations were small.

2. leezy

leezy Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2009 Minnesota

Princetons is out

3. mjryan

mjryan Maven (1,485) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Cracked open the box when I got home. Seriously, I don't even want to drink them because they are one and done lol. Went with the Cigar City first, not too shabby.

4. hamham

hamham Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Minnesota

i hope you're sitting down, because i'm about to blow your mind. you have the option of buying a second box.

5. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I don't think this is nearly as limited as distributors are making it seem.

Don't be surprised if you rush to the shop to buy one and then see subsequent shipments in the following weeks.

6. mothman

mothman Grand Pooh-Bah (5,802) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I heard 80 cases which = 160 12 packs. People on the web lie though, so who knows. When my local store only gets in 10 12pks, I'd guess it's a pretty limited deal.

7. mothman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Started with the FW Hoppy Pils and just moved onto the BP 8.5% IPL. Both excellent!

8. mjryan

Got $25.00 you can lend me?

9. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Pooh-Bah (1,982) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

SN's marketing strategy on this is one of genius - almost on par with Stone's brilliant scheme with their Enjoy By series.
    I have to give them credit.
    They've gotten a ton a people pumped up by partnering with proven winners across the country.
    Then "limiting"* production & releasing it in the middle of summer.

However, I'd be truly surprised if there is more than 2 out of the 12 that are worthy of the hype surrounding it.
    It would be fantastic for them to prove me wrong on this, but I can only smell "gimmick" at this point.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  10. herman77

herman77 Maven (1,486) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Got the last one at liquor barrel SLP. Said they only got 10 12 packs. Some dude was walking out with 2 as I was coming in.

11. hamham

hamham Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Minnesota

yes!
    no!

ToadiesForCody and mjryan like this.
  12. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota

12.99$ at big top liquor in St. Paul. They had 4 left 15 minutes ago. Close at 8pm. No limit on buying, Go!!

13. mjryan

Drank five of them tonight. All were very enjoyable.

14. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Colorado

I disagree. A small series like this does little little for a brewery as large and well-established as Sierra Nevada. Most of the participating breweries have some connection with Sierra Nevada, whether it be geographical, or like Sierra Nevada, being an early innovating brewery (Cigar City doesn't quite fit, but 11/12 fit 1 of 2).

I would imagine getting 12 different beers brewed and then packaged together isn't cheap. Sierra Nevada probably recognizes there is limited demand for $24 12packs (not to mention it doesn't fit their typical reasonable pricing). Also, the recipes aren't exactly perfected to the point that they are even likely to have people clamoring for more.

In conjunction with the Beer Camp Tour, I think this is just a good opportunity for them to have some fun and do something different with some brewers they wanted to work with. I'm with you though, in that I wouldn't expect the beers to be exceptional. But 12 different collab beers packaged together is impressive in itself and bound to be interesting at the least.

BillManley likes this.
  15. SipIt

SipIt Zealot (735) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Hmm, $25 to try a bunch of different collab brews, or $25 for one bottle of Pentagram??

16. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (1,086) Oct 27, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Or 18 bottles of Saga.

17. mothman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you're only getting 18 bottles of saga, you are clearly doing it wrong. That will get you minimum of 25 bottles... maybe even something like 25.2

BrettHead likes this.
  18. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Minnesota

This isn't much different than going to your local store and getting 2 mix 6's which usually run roughly 10-$12 each Pricing seems fair. It may be a gimmick, but 12 different beers in one box is intriguing to me ( the journey to 1,000 uniques on untappd is a long road), especially since they were able to get some bigger name breweries to collab with. Looking forward to cracking open my case soon.

My only concern is freshness (not to be that guy).... but it seems like brewing, bottling/canning and packaging 12 different beers could be a time consuming proccess, anyone have any ideas on this?

19. mothman

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I can't answer the freshness question directly, but each of my bottles have a different date on them and the oldest I have came across was 5/29/14 so far. It seems like they did alright for 12 different brews.

EJJ1848 likes this.
  20. Ridder

Ridder Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2013 Minnesota

Just nabbed one at Haskell's in Chanhassen. They only received a small amount as well so the "limited" scoop we heard may be legit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.