1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

SN Torpedo BB Dates in Tesco

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Zimbo, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Have bought a shed load of Torpedo at Tesco in the last 4 or 5 months but have noticed for quite some time that every bottle has a BB of 23.01.13 and to be frank the hops are really beginning to fade to say nothing of its middle aged rubbery flab on the tongue and in the mouth.

Does anyone have a local Tesco with later BB dates? I really hope so as otherwise I'll be getting the feeling that Testiclo just bought one single huge consignment of Torpedo and are letting it run its course without any intention of re-stocking over the long haul.
  2. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I think standard regulation EU dates are all 24 months for beers like this, but most hoppy beers will lose their kick after 8-9 months. Think yours might be a year and half old by that count.
  3. Here in the UK most beers come with a one year BB date on them. I've seen them as low as 6 months, though some stronger brews have longer dates. However I've noticed that Belgian brews all have 2 years on them.

I agree that hoppier brews will deteriorate faster. Not sure about the Torpedo - I haven't bought any from Tesco. So many other beers out there.

It would be a shame if they stopped selling it, but then again Sainsbury's just stopped stocking Hardcore. My impression is that the market isn't there for the seriously hoppy brews - supermarkets are all about volume and turnover, after all.
  4. Funny thing is that even in early July Torpedo with this BB Date still tasted pretty hoppy and relatively fresh. The 'decline' in just less than 2 months has been drastic it seems.
  5. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yeah that's a bit strange. Was it refridgerated?
  6. Oh yes. It was home in the fridge for sometime even after repeated demands from my wife to find them a different home.
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  7. The domestic trials of a beer geek ;)
  8. Just checked the bottle I bought and consumed last week and it has the same date on it. A nice brew for sure and has made me want to homebrew an American DIPA