1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Snake Handler Off Flavor?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by xxcarpxx, Jan 1, 2013.

1. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Member

First off, let me say I think Good People is the best brewer in Alabama. And consider good Snake Handler as good as any IPA/IIPA made..... But over this year I have complained about their inconsistency from batch to batch... Which brings me to the topic of the post.... My first purchase of the 12/5/12 batch of Snake come from Highland Package... It was sweet citrus, as good as it gets... The next batch of 12/5/12 Snake come from Hop City was very malty.. So off flavor I questioned if someone might have swapped the dates on the lid... I buy my next batch of 12/5/12 Snake from Highland, the 1st 4pk was malty...the others was sweet and citrus flavor that I love.... I began to think my palette was off...so I did a blind taste test... Both me and my friend agreed on which glass was sweet citrus flavor.... It was the Highland batch... The Hop City can was over powering with malt flavor... I was wondering of anyone else has come across the same off flavor that I have...
  2. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Member

I would email GP. If I'm understanding correctly, they sticker the pack holder and not the cans? That may be cause enough to have then date the cans to prevent easy tampering. Either way, I'm sure GP would want to dig deeper into the matter, I know I would.
  3. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Member

I have messaged GP.. Jason did reply with in a few minutes asking questions about the packs I mentioned... I do hope it's an issue that is acknowledged.. Snake Handler is one of my top beers...it would he a shame to not want a drink of it again....... With that said, I do find it hard to believe that 30+ views of this post and no one else has the same complaint.... I guess time will tell..
    woodchopper likes this.
  4. freduardo

freduardo Member

that's really strange. all of the cans i have had of that batch were delicious, but none of them were bought from highland package or hop city.
  5. sommersb

sommersb Member

So how do you tell the date/batch? I couldn't find this on my cans, but it sounds like I need to look at the plastic can holder?
  6. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Member

The date is on the plastic can holder...
  7. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Member

Spencer, I need to shop where you go..ha..
  8. sommersb

sommersb Member

Found it, thanks! My pack is from 12-05. FWIW I bought mine in Huntsville at Great Spirits and they tasted spot-on with a big bold citrus flavor
  9. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Member

Last night I received an email from Jason @ Good People... He was apoplectic and did offer to refund me for my purchase..he investigated and feels all his quality control process has come back good... But did believe I have bad packs.. offered explanations of what might have caused the off flavor.. overall I'm pleased with the response I've received from Good People and will be on the lookout for good Snake Handler...
  10. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie Member

Snake Handler is available in 4pk cans? Is this at Good People regularly?
  11. freduardo

freduardo Member

they do a can release quarterly. the last batch went out about a month ago, so i'm not sure if there are any more still hanging around on shelves. it is, however, on tap at the brewery pretty much all the time.