1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Snake River Brewing - Pako's IPA & Zonker Stout

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Penguin3200, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Just wanted to give a shout out to these two under the radar gems that I got to try through my work with the company recently. Pako's was just killer on the nose and a resinous oily bitterness on the finish.

Zonker is right there with Ten Fidy. Was surprised how these are so under the radar. Great stuff, although having learned about their history and brewers I guess I should have expected these to be top notch.

What do you mountain west say? I know I will be looking to acquire more of their stuff.

Cheers
    Bill
    EdH and Bitterbill like this.
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I really like the Snake River brews! We can even get it here in Northern Colorado though, so I'm sure location/distribution hurt the brewery some, as fart as going under the radar.
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  3. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

any time i know someone going to jackson i make sure they bring me back a 6er of pakos!
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  4. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Always fun to find one of these off the radar gems. Wish I would have known about them and hit them up at GABF last year.
  5. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (465) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

Snake River needs to send their beer to Colorado. Stat.
    hopfacebrew and guyforget like this.
  6. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

Both of these beers are excellent, totally agree.
    hopfacebrew and laymansbeerfan like this.
  7. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

i'd put pako's in my regular ipa rotation w/ modus, hop notch, union jack, odell if theyd distribute to CO
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

We used to get Snake River in Denver 5-6 years ago. Vienna Lager, Zonker Stout, and Pale Ale.
    Vienna Lager is full-on amazing, but something about their distribution brought it to us late. Places like Davidson's and Lukas would be putting out new 6-packs that had a "drink by" date expiring in a week.
    If they ever come back, hopefully they'll have a different distribution system.
    Back before the likes of Dry Dock, Prost, and Grimm, Snake River was THE German beer brewer in the Rockies.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I used to enjoy the Vienna Lager on draught at THE Thai restaurant in Casper. It complimented the spicy Thai food I love so much very well. The restaurant replaced it with Odell IPA. Great brew, for sure, but I always end up drinking it before I get the meal. IPA with spicy food is not my cup of tea.
  10. Whenever I head to Wyoming I always stock up on Zonker, Pako's and the Vienna Lager. Vienna Lager and Zonker are two of my all time favorites.