1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Snifter or tulip?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shaaarrrp, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

I'm quite partial to snifters myself.

2. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

I like the hybrids best, too.

3. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

4. Between the two I would rather have a snifter, but I like tulips almost as much.

5. I have tulips, pint glasses, pilsner glasses, kolsch glasses and chalices - for some reason I really dislike using a snifter...personal preferences i guess

6. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (590) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I have a FFF teku and as cool as it is, I prefer my beers out of a tulip any day.

7. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (265) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

For pretty much any stronger beer, I usually use
    My mcChouffe tulip glass, or more recently my unbranded tulip from crate And barrel (mostly because it's a bit larger and can fit a full 12oz bottle).

For average stuff I either use a SA perfect pit or standard shaker pint glass. I love the tulips though. Prefer the shape of them over a snifter, which I find to be a little Uncomfortable to drink out of. I will say that both of Mine are more similar to that 'hybrid' tulip glass pictured above though.

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I drink everything out of branded snifters because they are sexy.

Prove/show me a better option for what im drinking at the time and im all ears, but ive yet to find a glass I like more for what I drink.

9. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I think mine is a hybird? I have a tulip from Bed Bath & Beyond's Mikasa line. My wife broke the first one and promptly bought me a new one because she knew she almost ruined my life.

I drink pretty much all of my beer from it. I'll drink the occasional wheat beer from one of my tall glasses though.

Edit :
    This glass. Snifter or tulip? Either way, I friggin love this glass.
    [​IMG]

Moose90 likes this.
  10. Tulip for the high ABV sippers. I have several Duvel glasses and a Fin Du Monde that I like.
    For something like Nugget Nectar that needs no concentration to the nose (as it is so over the top hoppy) I can drink these out of a dixie cup and I wont miss any flavor. But I usually use a pint glass.

11. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Vote for a tulip. Visit some local breweries and checkout the glassware they have. For something fun id recommend the new dfh/sn ipa glass. A lot of hate out there on it but i like the way it looks and feels good to hold. Nothing magically groundbreaking in the "science" for improving the beer but it works well and has a good amount of room to pour a generous head. This is important to me I have a few tulips that are probably around 13-15 ozs and i dont like having to two pour a beer, or pour it with a tiny head.

12. jman005

jman005 Advocate (505) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

So what? They found out that the style is beneficial to IPAs. This day in age, their aren't many discoveries left to be found out about drinking liquid out of a glass... lol

creal92 likes this.
  13. I really don't understand what you're so upset about. Please go read the article about the glass: http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2012/05/the-perfect-ipa-glass/.

It states very clearly that they tried a bunch of already existing Riedel/Spiegelau glasses, found the one they liked best, and then made refinements.

14. Nope, your choice of glass is right. Nothing low about a pint glass for IPAs.

15. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (360) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

[​IMG]
    How about a bit of both?

Its the Riedel Swirl wine glass, which I enjoy quite a bit.

ESeab likes this.
  16. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I use a Libbey Belgian Ale Glass just like this for most beers. $6 from Target.
    [​IMG]

I switch to a snifter or Libbey's Stout glass when I get into the darker, bigger beers.
    [​IMG]

If I'm being lazy, I grab one of the many shaker pints I have sitting around.

BMitch and Moose90 like this.
  17. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

All my IPA's and hoppy brews go into my tulip, all my stouts and porters go into my snifter.

18. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Neither of you...or anybody for that matter...has to agree with me, but the problem here is that in SN's and DFH's own marketing of this "New IPA Glass" they make the public believe that they sat down and "created" a new glass specifically for enjoying IPA. They may never actually say that they designed from scratch a new vessel, but in all their own literature and videos pertaining to this collaboration that's the gist of what they are communicating. Which is rediculous because this glass has been used for wine for at least 2 (or more years). To say they made design changes is laughable, it's 0.5" taller than the original. That would be akin to someone taking credit for a revolutionary new glass that enhances stouts and then showing off a snifter...great you reappropriated a brandy glass good for you, doesn't mean you deserve credit for it. If I use a spatula to scratch my back does that mean I've invented a new back scratcher?

Look here's the rub, the glass may be the most amazing vessel to drink an IPA out of that anyone has ever experienced, but they didn't invent shit. The thing I find upsetting is the fact they're taking credit for someone else's work. Why not tell the truth and just say you found this great wine glass that works amazingly well with IPA's, call it what it is with no misleading.

Rant over.

19. Fair enough, although I think you're giving the design changes a little bit less credit than they deserve - the "bowl" upper section is clearly shaped differently than the corresponding base glass, it's etched, etc.

But I probably also have simply read everything DFH, SN, and Spiegelau are saying about this differently than others, if only because I read that phillybeerscene article before all of the media from the collaborating parties, so I understood what's going on here. I just don't see them as trying to mislead the consumer here.

20. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Same here, love my DFH snifter for just about anything, especially stouts. I just got my DFH IPA glass last week and it really is great for IPAs and Nugget Nectar. Pretty much just need these two and I'm set. Although I do use others from time to time. Different sized stella glasses, shaker pints, and the Sam Adams glass that I think is really solid.

21. Tulip and snifter are glasses that I just dont have room for. I am a lager/Malt leaning BA therefore most of the beer I drink goes better in other glasses... But for the sake of the post and I do drink other places than just at home, I would go for the tulip every time. The reason being that every time I have ordered a beer that was served in a snifter I felt like I got ripped off! "There ya go pal. four ounces of FBS...that'll be $7.50" ERGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

22. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

That one is very similar to my favorite glass as well. Works well with all beers, easy to hold, etc... love it.

23. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (450) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

These two are great as well, the stout glass does a surprisingly good job of revealing different color variations in many stouts that you wouldn't pick up on with other glasses. The Belgian glass is a good all arounder, and always pours with a nice head.

24. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Funny, those same two glasses (plus the Sam Adams pint) are the extent of my glassware concerns.

MADPolo likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

My new favorite, they call it a balloon.
    [​IMG]

26. I'd love to be able to get a snifter or tulip at a Dollar Tree like some people claim to have got but every store I go to never has any.

27. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Smuttynose and Portsmouth brewery have the same glass for sale on their website (or at least looks like the same glass) and I was able to get one from a bar a few yeas ago. It's been one of my go-to glasses for just about everything since then, although I picked up a Lawsons Finest glass last summer and they has taken over the number one spot. If you look at the photo in the link, you can see it's a similar profile just a bit shorter and all-around great drinker.

cavedave likes this.

28. These two, a Libbey Pilsner glass and a giant balloon snifter I found for $7 at TJ Maxx are the only glasses I use.

I feel like a tulip wins for sheer versatility--I think it's especially better for IPAs and beers with kind of a one-note aroma--but my big barleywines and imp stouts go in the snifter.

I do miss my Duvel tulip though. A great all-purpose glass. RIP.

29. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I actually find tulip glasses seem to retain a bit too much head for some beers and I don't seem to get as much aroma out of them (of course, this all could be in MY head).

Personally, I prefer almost everything in a pint glass or wiezen. If I want a wider mouth, then I go for a chalice (like a Chimay).

Of course, I drink Beligan Ales from tulips...it seems they were meant for each other.

I do have an oversized snifter I sometimes use for very high ABV brews, but even then, I prefer pints, wiezens, or a chalice. All personal preference, I think. Anyway, I think pouring beer into any glass is more important than the type of glass.