1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Snowblower Beer vis-a-vis Lawnmower Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by StoutKeith, Feb 10, 2013.

1. We're all familiar with lawnmower beers. What would be its analogue for snowblowing?

Bonus points if you can point one out with a taste that properly complements the exhaust aroma of a heavily choked engine.

JxExM likes this.
  2. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Post this in the PNW forum,somebody in Alaska probably has a lawnmower with a snow blower attachment

beertunes likes this.
  3. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

North Coast Old Stock Ale, straight from the bottle. The alcohol would feel warming, and the malty sweetness would balance out the salty fluid running down from your nose.

kirkse, JxExM and Willbfun like this.
  4. Something below imperial ABV range, definitely big malt presence, preferable a darker in appearance and higher in FG(need those carbs to stay warm).

Sam Adams Winter Lager, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Narragansett porter. Affordable available delicious brews that are enjoyable indoors and outdoors. I hate snow.

JxExM and seakayak like this.
  5. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Whereas lawnmower beer (more so post-lawnmowing beer; alcohol and power tools do NOTmix.) Is generally light pale etc, I would think a snowblower beer would be still fairly light in alcohol, though not quite so light, with a dark, roasty note. I would think a Porter would work perfectly, maybe a dry or export stout.
    Later on, post shower, we're looking at an Imp stout or Barleywine. I have a well-aged Wheatwine waiting in the wings for this evening.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

"alcohol and power tools do NOTmix." What the hell are you talking about? They were born to be together! :p

7. Didn't use a snow blower, But I shoveled my driveway while drinking an Old Rasputin. Kept me nice and warm. Well, that along with my insulated Carhart of course.

8. ^5 @beertunes , although seriously, I don't snowblow or chainsaw under the influence. I was looking for a post snow clearing restorative.

I'd like to try the Old Stock Ale but I haven't seen it in Massachusetts. I have Ipswich and Smutty in my basement so I could easily give them a try.

9. Need a hoppy beer to cut through the exhaust of my 19* year old Toro 2-cycle, so I grabbed a Flower Power out of the case sitting in the cold garage and popped the cap off at around 9:30 this am when I took a break waiting to finish up after they plowed the road.
    (* Only know 'cause the electric starter went and I found the receipt
    stapled to the book when I checked the model number to order a new one).​

JxExM, beertunes and tolar111 like this.
  10. jesskidden - I remember the exact date I bought my snowblower since it put an end to the 5 hour shoveling marathons I sometimes had to do on my long driveway.

11. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Deschutes Obsidian, Founders Porter, Surly Coffee Bender...

Rich and complex beers that don't make me think that clearing the impeller by hand is a good idea after 12 oz. :eek:

12. Anchor Porter or maybe a Snowbound from the Tap.

13. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (380) Italy Apr 19, 2009

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  14. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

To me a lawnmower beer is one that I can enjoy right from the can in the garage or backyard while I am hot and do not want to go in the house, get a glass and sit down. For that reason lawnmower beers to me are cheap and not with lots of character (because if it did have character you wouldn't want to drink it from the can) so this is actually the only time I drink Adjunct Lagers.

Analogously, a snowblower beer would be one to drink in the garage with my boots still on but appropriate for cold weather

Genny Bock kind of fits those criteria.

linkes likes this.
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

allagash curieux, 3 bean, and a matilda.... as you can tell, we got 30".... took a while!

SammyJaxxxx, seakayak and beertunes like this.
  16. This is where Gluhwein comes into the picture.

17. As I'm of Scandinavian extraction I'd go with glögg.

18. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I never had a Toro anything that lasted beyond 10 yrs without a complete overhaul/rebuild. I'm callin' shenanigans, Jess. :)

19. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

Lagunitas Sucks then a Mayflower Porter after digging out 30" of snow today. Feel 100% better now.

20. I went with an Alaskan Smoked Porter (I wish I had a few more, though...).

beertunes and 19etz55 like this.
  21. No snow here, but I imagine a mug of Odell Cutthroat Porter doing rather nicely.

22. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

A hearty barleywine. A Brooklyn Monster Ale or Sierra Nevada Bigfoot?!!!!!!

highdesertdrinker and seakayak like this.
  23. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

seakayak likes this.
  24. In that case, I'd suggest Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout

19etz55 likes this.
  25. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Update. A Brooklyn Monster Ale and/or a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  26. Stone Smoked Porter

27. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Advocate (570) New York Jan 15, 2009

Just got home from work to 32 inches of snow from nemo and did no snowblowing of any sort but went with a heady topper and a sucks. Who knows what tomorrow may bring lol

ausonius and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  28. I had 2 Nugget Nectars while tending to the snow removal duties.

NN just landed by me on Thursday so it is pretty much the answer to any beer question right now.

highdesertdrinker likes this.