1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So are 4 packs replacing the six pack?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by frankb34, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Seems like just about every new beer I want to try comes in a 4 pack now with a higher price tag. What's up with that?
  2. Jack's Abby is the greatest!
    davey101 likes this.
  3. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I'm assuming it's to keep the cost down. Most people would rather buy a 4 pack @ $10 than a 6 pack @ $16. Especially if it's something they've never had before.
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  4. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I actually dig the 4pk. I'm glad to see Stone SSR, Oaked AB, and Ruination in this format. Also, 16oz can 4pks are MY JAM! Torpedo ALL DAY!
  5. It is to.keep the shelf space in a competitive market. Hoptimum became a 4 pack for that reason so take the good with the bad.
  6. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I will reaffirm my love of buying singles. Never get stuck with 3 or 5 beers I don't like and have to either try to pass off or choke down. I almost exclusively buy singles to expand my options of drinking as many different beers as possible. Since I just got into really enjoying and appreciating all the beers/breweries out there (June 2012), I am not bothered by them coming in 4 or 6 packs.
  7. There seems to be far more 6 packs than 4 packs when I hit my packy so it doesn't look that way.
  8. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (385) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I'll second that if you're lucky enough to have that option.

When I was living in Tucson, I got ADDICTED to Plaza's mix-n-match mentality; EVERYTHING was sold as a single, no extra cost. I was able to pretty much drink something new EVERY DAY for almost 2 years!

I don't mind paying between $8 and $10 to get a mix-n-match 6'er.
    I always try in mixed packs, then buy in bulk when I like it.

Cause yeah, spending $8 or $9 ($16 for a 6-pack!? Remind me never to live where you do!) and having 5 bottles you hate is sad....

Also, I've been noticing a slight opposite. The special ones from Ale Asylum and Two Brothers have been switching from 4-packs to 6-packs over the years!
    Eastside151 likes this.
  9. Only with good/great craft beer.

You'll never see boston lager, SN Pale ale, or harpoon ipa in a 4 pack and not a 6er.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  10. Eastside151

I hear you brother, my local store does just that, everything is available in singles, no upcharge, and they are by far the nicest people around. I will gladly give them my money any day for that very reason. The owner and I were talking about Founders Breakfast Stout and he tells me he has some that he aged a year. Said he will bring one in for me to try. If they don't have it they will get it and then sell me one bottle to try like everything else. I definitely feel pretty lucky to have this store 10 minutes away from my house.
  11. obviously because of the economy. prices of everything are going up. craft beer uses real ingredients. thats how its going to go. pretty soon were going to have to grow everything and brew ourselves.
  12. Fortunately theres a store near me that sells singles,which is awesome.That's how I end up trying new beer. It's just hard to justify paying $16 plus for a 4 pack.
  13. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

4 packs are awesome. I definitely don't want to commit to a 6 pk when I never tried it. Actually, even if I have tried it, I want variety.
    On the flipside, I'd like to put the idea of 24 pks of bourbon county :p
    MVotter likes this.
  14. For higher gravity and/or crazier priced selections it seems like a great compromise. Keeps prices to a reasonable commitment for a now-and-then type beer.

For most beers, though, sixers are here to stay. I wouldn't worry about them being replaced- no real need to do anything any differently.
  15. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I prefer 4packs. Most of these are niche beers that I don't want everyday anyway, so I'd rather buy fresh whenever I want just a few than buy 6packs and not finish them in a timely manner.
    EConnOG likes this.
  16. Six-packs are to share, four-packs are to horde away in my closet and cackle with glee.
  17. bobhits

bobhits Savant (455) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

I can get singles for marginal if any up charge. I still like 4 packs. I enjoy having multiple bottles of great beers, but I'm rather ok with not paying nearly 40 bucks for say a 6er of devil dancer. The 4 pack gives you 6 pack prices on great beers and per oz you're saving a small fortune compared to bombers.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  18. I prefer 4 packs. I don't like the pricing games often played with them (SN, DFH, etc), but on a per bottle basis, the smaller the package the better so long as costs are kept in check.
  19. Some beers are heading toward four packs, but FBS is going from 4-pack to 6-pack at the same suggested price point I believe.
    stevegoz likes this.
  20. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This. I assist manage a liquor store and try to put anything that comes in 4-Pack on our limited singles table for this reason. Why buy 4 for $15 that you never had if you can but just one for $4 to see if you like it first. Side note, the exception to the rule, breakfast stout moving up to 6 packs at the same price, AMAzBallz
  21. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Remember when Brooklyn Chocolate Stout was $9.99 a 6-pack? I was 21 and all my friends were buying 30 packs of keystone while I was sippin on this gem
    davey101 likes this.
  22. Eastside151

I drank 135 different new beers in 2012. Never could have done that if I was buying 4 pks or 6 pks. If it is a really good beer I enjoy then I will buy more than one but mostly I stick to singles. Getting back on topic though it does seem like I am seeing more and more 4 packs.
  23. Gimme a 6 pack under $10.
    I prefer to drink beer, rather than try beer.
    teal likes this.
  24. Wilb

Wilb Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 18, 2011

I dig the 4 packs as well. If more breweries like Bells (Black Note) change from 750ml to 12oz I'll like it even more.
  25. In a thread of 24 responses, Eastside has posted 3 times that he prefers singles.

Does Eastside love singles? Yes, Eastside loves singles.
  26. Eastside151

A six pack of what? I will keep on trying, looking for those great beers so I don't waste my time & money on mediocre crap. Then I'll keep drinking those worth both my time & money.
  27. Eastside151

Point taken, I'll shut up. Lol
  28. I've gotten to the point to where there's hardly any beer I buy outside of bomber or a 750...
  29. I love singles too, but I don't beat the point into submission. :D

The downside is you're spending Anywhere from $10-18 per sixer through buying singles. Even worse a premium when that single comes in only bomber form. :mad:
  30. Eastside151

I will go with a bomber if it is available and I am familiar with the beer. Those unknowns are the reason for my posts, I hate wasting money on mediocre garbage. Luckily my store does not mark up when the split packs so I am fortunate there.
  31. Enjoy the 4.
  32. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Are you suggesting that SNPA isn't a good/great craft beer?
  33. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Hate 4-packs.

Green Flash WCIPA went to 4 and the price did not drop as I recall.

FBS is leaving the 4 and going to 6 and the price is supposed to stay the same, as I recall.

Thus....point proven! Six packs rule....four packs cruel.
  34. i guess it was poorly worded. I think boston lager and snpa are 2 of the best beers in the country.

I meant things that are less likely to appeal to the everyday man, and more likely to appeal to a BA/beer nerd. Double IPAs, Barleywines, and other big/extreme beers.
  35. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

For 'better' craft beers, they've long been common, and are becoming more so. It's a minority of top-notch beers that still come in 6, rather than 4.

For run-of-the-mill craft beers, no, 6'ers are still the standard. That's why you see them, well, everywhere.
  36. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (385) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Two Brothers Cane & Ebel did that.
    Was 4-packs at $12.
    Now I get 6'ers for $10!!!!!
  37. I dig the 4 pack!
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  38. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

I'm waiting for Mountain Oyster Stout which will only be 2 packs. :eek:
  39. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Exactly. Just because the hot beers OP is seeking tend to come in 4pks doesn't mean everything is switching. We have probably 350-400 "multi packs" at our store, and I would wager that less than 5% of them are 4pks.
    beerinmaine likes this.
  40. Wow!