1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So I just saw this strange Sam Adams commercial...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Has anyone seen this? It seemed to be geared towards douche-y beer snobs who would never consider tasting a Sam Adams beer. The actors playing the beer snobs took blind taste tests and were all "wowed" by the fact that they thought it was "hoppy" and "good." Why are they targeting this group of BA types? Is it because they're already the biggest craft brewery and now they want "the snobs" on board as well? I guess I just didn't get the point. Anyone else have a thought on this? Just curious.

Kyrojack and victory4me like this.
  2. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Champion (770) Maine Sep 11, 2010

Or towards the douche-y BMC drinker who would never consider tasting a Sam Adams beer...

tviz33 and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  3. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I haven't seen the commercial but it sounds like it's right on the mark. It's incredibly cool by quite a few to diss successful craft like Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada.

Actually I've done this very thing with mixing in a Boston Lager into a blind tasting and laughed my ass off as people praised it.

4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I absolutely can't stand Sam Adams commercials. Always come off as pompous

5. That's what I expected the commercial to do, but the guys taking blind taste tests and saying things like, "wow, I never expected Sam Adams beer to be so hoppy and tasty" made it not seem like BMC types.

6. BEERMILER12

In that case, fuck SA for paying actors to 'like' their beer... I do enjoy some of their beers from time to time, but their commercials are definitely getting a little snobby with too much emphasis on the "oh, wow! this is what beer is SUPPOSED to taste like!" side of things. Now I know why some people have started rejecting them as craft (even though I don't agree with that point)

kemoarps and DrStiffington like this.
  7. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I just hate that same generic song they use in EVERY commercial. And they all feel like they were made 10 years ago.

8. Should they have hired actors to dis their beer? They run a business, sounds like pretty standard advertising to me.

9. Unless things are different elsewhere from where I live, SA is the only craft brewery that has commercials on the tell-a-vision. They are trying to tell the hair-gelled masses that there are actually flavors from other ingredients than corn and rice.

The BA community would be wise to lay off the hate for the extra-successful craft breweries. They kept the sport alive when it was on life support

10. I actually drink a lot of Sam Adams. I just thought the commercial itself was strange. And cheesy.

tronester and kojevergas like this.
  11. I'm not saying you're part of it, but there are a lot of people around these parts who have their fangs out for that brewery

AndyAvalanche and yemenmocha like this.
  12. FatSean

FatSean Savant (255) Connecticut Jul 4, 2006

They do have a mix pack out with "hops" all over it. The Alpine Lager thing is pretty good. Generally don't care for their malt profile.

Kyrojack likes this.
  13. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (650) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

I've never seen a Sam Adams commercial in my life, although if I saw the one the OP was referring to, I would probably just laugh my ass off. I haven't seen ANY beer commercials in YEARS either, with the exception of that horrible Black Crown Superbowl commercial, which I just saw today on YouTube.

14. BEERMILER12

I guess my point is that they hired actors to begin with... If the beer is good (I'd say it's definitely nothing to wag a finger at) why hire actors? Let the beer speak for itself.

15. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Samuel Adams is a big brand with the biggest market penetration out of any of the "craft" breweries. They need to advertise, and I really do hope they pay the actors in their commercials.

16. If they did blind tastings with real BA's they wouldn't show any negative comments anyways just the positive.

tai4ji2x likes this.
  17. bump8628

bump8628 Savant (485) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

You must never watch television then...

UGADawgGuy and Kyrojack like this.
  18. BEERMILER12

I completely agree with all of that. I just think it would be better to get random people (obviously not necessarily members of BA) and get their opinions... Most BMC drinkers I run into don't reciprocate the same feelings that I do with the descriptor of 'hoppy' or 'bitter.'

19. I see this every damn day.......This song is probably a trigger now....If I hear it in a store I might buy some sam adams, or knock the display over.

KC9LDB, tronester, Gosox8787 and 5 others like this.
  20. BEERMILER12

See my above post. Obviously they would only highlight the ones that make them look good, but I don't think they need paid actors to do that. They make craft. Not crap.

21. Can we get a link?

ChanChan and olfolxholme like this.
  22. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (650) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

I don't actively "watch" television, no. I am however, exposed to it every single day of my life, and it seems to me that every commercial is about some type of cancer research center, some drug with a million side-effects that they still want you to buy, or nursing home abuse. But perhaps it's just a regional thing? Idk.

23. That's how I interpreted it the first time I saw it.

24. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

I very much agree with your point. The "let's hate Boston Beer Co. and Sierra Nevada because they've gotten big" hipster mindset is beyond stupid. Well guess what...they got big because they were the pioneers of this craft beer thing and made a damn good product. Without the likes of them, the brewery explosion and thousands of amazing beers we are seeing now would not be happening. And for the most part, they are still making a very good product.

25. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Keep preaching my fellow Texan!

Cvescalante and davey101 like this.
  26. Beer snob Hipsters! A new wave of ultra hipsters! They won't even drink pbr!:eek: You are about to enter...the scary door!

27. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/sierra-nevada-beer_n_2300275.html
    Nice video of sierra nevada, I found it when i searched for next hipster beer, but they changed the title of the article since the video is obviously not about hipsters at all.
    EDIT from video:

28. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

That commercial just makes me imagine Jim Koch swimming around in brite beer tanks after everyone has left for the night.

Can't blame the guy... who wouldn't? ;)

Hey... at least there is a craft beer that has... commercials. I've never seen another craft brewery have commercials on TV, at least in the Texas market.

acevenom likes this.
  29. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Blue Moon is artfully crafted.

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  30. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

Of course it is how else do you explain a brew process where the whole time you paint pretty pictures of your beer instead of brewing it.

31. I think you need to take each company and each beer on a "case by case" basis. No pun intended. SN and Boston Beer Co. do make good beers, but not all of their beers could be considered outstanding. SA Lager is not something I would drink for free, neither, for the most post is some of their other offerings. I love the Dunkelweizen though! Sn makes lots of good stuff and are available. I will cringe when we start to hear this same BS about Dogfish Head someday. I know a guy that lives in Indiana and has an endless supply of 3 Floyds and buys their 90 Minute over Panzer Wolf!!!! Beer, like other things holds one truth: size does not matter!!!!

Cvescalante likes this.
  32. Between that and the commercial with George Thorogood's "Who do you love," I can't tell which one annoys me more.

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I actually don't mind their commercials. I like seeing them since they are the only non-BMC beer commercials I've ever seen and I know they are the gateway beer company for many BMC drinkers. So I will put up with their cheesiness.

34. I dunno. Personally, I feel like Boston Beer Company doesn't push the limits as much as they could. Outside of their small batch series, I haven't found many really bold beers. And if I'm going to a bar and paying three to four dollars for a pint, I want something that's going to really knock my socks off.

And with their seasonals, especially the ones that come with their big variety packs, I rarely feel like they're pushing the envelope (despite having thirty bajillion different brews). As much as they pride theirselves on making a variety of styles, it feels to me that they (with the exception of a handful of small batch brews... The clear minority) don't tend to stray very far from Boston Lager. I feel like I could take any two Sam seasonal offerings (including the ones in the variety packs), and then take any two Allagash offerings, and I'd STILL find more variance between the two Allagash brews (despite the fact that they are all Belgian-style beers).

I don't hate Boston Beer company. But they don't really thrill me either.

Cvescalante and RelentlessLefty like this.
  35. "not all of their beers could be considered outstanding."

Are their breweries where every single thing they offer is considered outstanding?

acevenom and tronester like this.
  36. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Although a Samuel Adams product would not be my first choice generally, they paved the way, and given how they became huge, their level of quality is still a great example that it can be done. Also, on a night when I go with friends to a watering hole that has only the usual Bud/Coors/Miller cougar piss (which unfortunately is almost all of them), a Sam Adams tap handle would be a welcome sight.

37. Hanzo

Hill Farmstead.

*I hope Shaun sees this so I get into the Collected Works*

Zaphog, benart and DevilsCups like this.
  38. Well the ratings on here say otherwise. Tons of awesome beers for sure, but every one outstanding, no.

2beerdogs likes this.
  39. Hanzo

T'was a joke.

benart, Brad007, gtermi and 2 others like this.