1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So I just saw this strange Sam Adams commercial...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Oh, t'was it?

zach60614 likes this.
  2. Really?

What would you drink for free then?

3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Wait, so people are mad that Sam Adams pays actors to do their commercials, mad that they are marketing their beer, and mad that they continually produce a quality, entry-level craft product at a huge scale?

OK, got it.

4. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, you have to live in or near Vermont to get any HF...and who is this "Shaun" cat (chick?) anyway?

5. Oh no doubt. I realize all that Boston Beer did for the craft beer industry, and even got Koch to sign a Sam Adams glass of mine. And while a Sam Adams is certainly better than BMC cat-piss, to me, to me it's not altogether thrilling. It feels like a token craft beer offering. What I -REALLY- hate is when these kinds of bars advertise with big posters saying: "WE HAVE CRAFT BEER!" when they really mean "WE HAVE A CRAFT BEER! (and it's boston lager)". Though to be fair, it's better than a few times when that single craft beer offering was Pumpkinhead.

6. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm not sure I understand why they 'need to advertise'. I thought Sierra Nevada was a pretty big 'craft' brewery too, and I've never seen an ad by them...

7. According to the data I've seen, Boston Beer Co does nearly double the sales as Sierra Nevada does. Maybe they should buy an ad.

I think if you ask the non-craft drinking masses to "name a fancy beer," many of them would name Sam Adams. I bet the % that would come up with Sierra would be extrememly low.

Dtapeski and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  8. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I didn't mean to imply that SN was as big as SA.. Just that SN is pretty damn big despite a lack of advertising. Also, I personally try to avoid talking about beer with the 'non-craft drinking masses'. It's a similar policy I have about talking religion with religious people...

9. They are not the only ones: https://www.google.com/search?q=breckenridge brewery commercials&tbm=vid

10. Should they make commercials where they infer that drinking their beer will lead to a lifestyle filled with young attractive people having fun 24 hours a day, innocent gender based misunderstandings that end in piles of ice cold bottles of beer flowing for everyone or possibly a quirky situation with you and your buddy that is resolved by clinking a couple beers together, winking and saying "Here we go!"?

andylipp likes this.
  11. The big beer companies have always had terrible advertising. At InBev, whose bone-headed idea was it to tell people to "Choose on taste"? I mean honestly, they'll be in trouble if people ever actually follow through.

12. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

EVERYONE hires actors, even companies with established delicious products like Coke [IMO]. What in the world are you talking about?

13. I always thought the best advertisement was for Coors Light.

Refreshment isn't the most important thing, it's the only thing.

I just never thought they would come out and so blatantly state that the only thing their beer had to offer was being watery.

As to the commercial mentioned by the OP, I haven't seen it but it's not incredibly surprising that they would spend some money to advertise to the 'BA demographic', especially considering the millions they have spent on advertising to other types of beer drinkers. I would probably assume that these commercials are not very widely broadcast and also only within particular test markets. I'm sure they have data on who is buying what beer and how much and where and a whole department dedicated to seeing where such an advertisement might carry weight.

14. Well, that's because Merry Mischief was terrible. With my own experience with it, I probably should have know what I was getting into, but I bought a bottle a few months ago because it was only the second time I've ever seen a Sam Adams with the word "stout" on the bottle.

Winter Lager always kind of "meh'd" me, because it tasted like they just threw a bit of spice in their Boston Lager. For Merry Mischief, it tastes like they threw the whole spice cabinet in. Total mess.

15. What's worse is that their only real selling point is questionable, because it technically dehydrates you.

16. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

You're kidding right? The American sheeple are controlled by advertising.

17. Have you read this article? Basically just an elongated version of your argument. http://celebratethesuds.blogspot.com.es/2011/10/samuel-adams-unfairly-scorned-by-beer.html?spref=tw

18. Didnt see the commercial but the "blind testing" commercial trend is really hitting it's limit. Not that it was ever really good in the first place. Half the commercials on TV are people doing blind tests and going "wowwwww".I'd love to get paid millions to remake the same idea over and over again.

19. Stop lumping Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada together.
    SN>SA. By a mile.

MaineMike likes this.
  20. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I think the TV spot is marketing to beer snobs who feel that Sam Adams it too "Big". But to be perfectly honest, the reason they got so big is Sam Adams isnt really that good of a beer(in my opinion) You can get it at any Red Lobster in the world and its just slightly maltier, and hoppier than MGD. Thats why it appeals to a mass market. When it came out it was very different from everything BMC had to offer, but Craft......? (I am only referring to Boston Lager, and several others that Ive tried that were just very average) I am not trying to sound like a snob, but in a blind taste test, I would be able to pick out the boston Lager from just about any style you stacked against it, including other Lagers. If that is what you like, then thats cool.... It just doesnt appeal to me at all.

21. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Isn't that what most of the people on this site say when stacking the craft beer they drink up against BMC products?

Am I the only one who appreciates the delicious irony of snobs looking down their nose at other snobs for being snobby?

shawnohall and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  22. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Sam Adams really is the beer company that people LOVE too hate, and I never really got it.....

so their the largest craft brewery. Big woop
    their standard offerings are not the best, but their limited release items are pretty damn good. their bombers, 4 packs, and specilty boxes are VERY good

just like any other larger microbrewery. Is the add a bit cheesy? a bit, but meh
    It really isnt that important

obrike and Tballz420 like this.
  23. three or four dollars a pint is called a great happy hour here

Blanco likes this.
  24. I just don't like it. In fact, I went dry Saturday night when all they had was SA Lager and Blue Moon.

davelag likes this.
  25. I have yet to have a 3 Floyds beer I do not like. Even their Dortmunder Jinx Proof is one to write home about. I have tried almost all of their products and love every one. Don't look into this too much!

26. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Anyone on here who didn't thoroughly enjoy their first sip of SA Boston Lager is f.o.s.

That being said, their commercials are awful.

And I also agree that outside of B.L., they're other offerings are meh.

EDIT: I obviously haven't tasted al of their beers, like Utopias.

27. bomb

bomb Disciple (65) Pennsylvania Dec 9, 2011

I can’t stand Sam Adams commercials. They always show this little humble brewery (must be either their test batch brewery or their 1st brewery which they still own) but I know the volume they do and no way is that a representation of Sam Adams. Sure, they are craft, but they are a lot bigger company than they but they act. They make it seem like they are four dudes in a small warehouse making 15 barrel batches. “Oh no we are not that big, we are craft, we are just like the little guys”. Just because you are not inBev, does not instantly make you a small brewery or company.

Blanco, tronester and Smitty1988 like this.
  28. Wow. Well...More power to you, I guess.

29. Actually, I think there's a general trend here that their non BL brews are generally better (especially their small batch 22oz-ers).

30. You can't say people need to like a beer or they are FOS. It is called a "personal opinion" or having individual taste buds. I can't stand it and would not take a case for free. That is just my opinion. I did not say it is a bad beer, I just cannot stand the taste of it.

31. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

It really doesn't bother me that much. Most commercials are dumb. I just tune them out.

32. Good commercial, if they had done it in slow mo with bikini clad models... Now that would be a beer commercial!!! Hey at least it was about beer!

33. Third Voyage is an awesome beer from Sam Adams. I wish they canned it and offered it all year. I bought it 3 times!

34. SA bashing is getting a bit ridiculous. Just a hopped up Macro Lite Lager, really? Wouldn't drink it for free?

35. Very good point I otherwise wouldn't have thought about. On TV I've only seen SA and BMC in my area, although I would like to see more Troeg's commercials, I've seen some on youtube and they crack me up. I kind of wonder if it's a regional thing or if profitable craft breweries don't want to pay so much for a TV commercial with social media/web advertising is probably more efficient these days anyway.

I wish more people would lay off Sam Adams too, fairly local to me so I may be a little bias, but you can't argue away from the great things breweries like Sam Adams, DogFish, and Sierra Nevada has done for the Craft Beer industry. I guess it's the "I liked it before it was cool" mentality. Still not going to stop me from putting SA and Sierra Nevada in my fridge, ESPECIALLY when Octoberfest and Celebration are in season.

Tballz420 likes this.
  36. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Pretty sure their beer IS what beer is supposed to taste like. They may play it safe alot of the time but they don't make many (or any?) beers that are downright terrible. Don't get so sensitive, they're taking shots at BMC not 'other' craft beer. They've done alot for craft, and they are still craft.

37. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I wouldnt drink it for free(not snobby, just not my style at all)... slightly maltier, and Hoppier than MGD.

38. How dare a beer commercial not mention girls in bikinis finding you suddenly attractive, or the refreshing taste of cold.

39. Not always.

40. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I never said BMC commercials were good, although the Coors Light silver bullet party train looks DOOOOOOOOPE. Still doesn't change the fact that SA commercials are cheesy and snobby