1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So I just saw this strange Sam Adams commercial...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Feb 27, 2013.

1. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Cancer research centers and nursing home abuse?
    What in the hell are you watching, daytime soap operas?
  2. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

True. I shouldn't have said f.o.s.

I've only had 1 beer I at least didn't enjoy drinking (including bud light). It was an organic california IPA which tasted like an IPA with a shot or 2 of handsoap in it.

Like you said, everyone's got a different pallate. I was incorrect in calling you or anyone else fos. My bad.
    VitoFerrante likes this.
  3. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Yes. ;)
  4. Most amazing part of the thread to me - people still see TV commercials? Have they not heard of TiVo? Next you'll tell me they haven't heard of AdBlock, and still see ads on the Internet. I mean, get outta here.
  5. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

The two being lumped together is inevitable, because they are the two most recognizable "craft" brewers that were there from the beginning and got big (and in Sam Adams' case, huge). I would agree that, given how much they grew, Sierra Nevada's consistency is astounding. I would say the same for Sam Adams, to a lesser degree.
  6. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (635) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

Mad respect for SA after all they were the first brewery to put beer in a barrel... 1994 Triple Bock. Pioneers of a style so many of us enjoy.
  7. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Word, this reminds me of most yahoo news stories, a million words and no videos or pictures that relate to the story!!
  8. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Must hipsters invade every arena of enjoyment? Can't stand that smug garbage. When you hear "Sam Adams used to be good when they were micro" bow out and run. No brewery should ever be penalized for succeeding if they continue to produce quality products.
    FishPondManager likes this.
  9. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

When you have that much market penetration, you can't expand your market much at all by opening new accounts.
    sirtomtom likes this.
  10. didn't you watch the posted commercial? they're brewing a beer with jim koch! take that, rogue...
  11. I thought it was an "odd" commercial and I wasn't sure which direction they were trying to go when I first saw it either. Then I decided they were purposely presenting it that way. If you are pro-craft, then the message is "Don't be a craft snob, try Sam Adams." If you are anti-craft, the message is "Don't hate us because we are craft, put down that Bud and try Sam Adams."
  12. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

In terms of quality, yes. In terms of variety, no. SN specializes in hoppy beer. SA is all over the place with their offerings. Some are awesome. Some are good. Others are passable. That's far better than Abita, who if they wow you with a beer, you don't need to wait very long before they change the recipe to save money.
    DarkDragon999 likes this.
  13. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Doesn't BCBS date back to 1992?
  14. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I've literally never heard anyone say they hate Sam Adams (or Sierra Nevada) because they are big. I hate that strawman.

Now seriously, can someone post a link?
  15. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

At least they don't come off juvenile and low-brow like many of the BMC commercials.
  16. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Juvenile and lowbrow aren't necessarily better than pompous and snobby
  17. Brad007

What the hell was your point then?

Or are you someone who loves to hate SA like all the other hipsters masquerading as beer advocates?
  18. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Excuse me? I can't say I find their commercials pompous and snobby? That was my point. Just because BMC has dumb commercials doesn't excuse SA for having equally shitty snobby commercials.

And I don't hate them. They're fine. They make above average beer and distribute it nationwide. They're a gateway to better beer. I don't buy much of their stuff because I can buy better beer for the same price but I generally buy their new offerings and limited release stuff.

What the hell was your point?
  19. Brad007

Better something that extols the virtue of the beer itself than something that focuses only on goofy mascots or angles.
  20. I've met Jim Koch. He really doesn't have much respect for other craft beer. At all.

I have tremendous respect for what he has unleashed, but I got the feeling that he isn't entirely pleased that in a sense he birthed his own competition. I know it's a business in the end, and can't fault him for trying to make money, but it felt more like he was shitting on the little guys (ones like Allagash and Bar Harbor brewery). Despite the fact that he WAS the little guy, and continues to try and paint himself as one of the little guys via his advertisements.

And it's my personal opinion that BBC can't brew a really good stout. I've tried quite a few of their stouts now, even their barrel-aged one, and none of them were even half as memorable as Cadilliac Mountain or Allagash Black.
  21. Some early morning contemplation led me to this conclusion. I think that most people who are as invested in craft beer as to be a member of an online community 'advocating' it, they have a special infatuation for the grassroots nature of the industry. On top of that, they align advertising with the tactics of the Evil Empire of BMC. This is not a judgement because advertising is the tactic of BMC beer. Still I have long been wondering what the role of advertising will play as the craft industry expands into the next decade. It is inevitable that such a well tested business model would be embraced by the breweries who are able to afford it. Those breweries who cannot afford it will rely on the same word of mouth publicity, such as this website, that has driven driven the industry to where it is today. The posts on this site that are against Sam Adams are only more evidence that they have saturated the grassroots opinion. An alternative marketing campaign directed toward this opinion makes perfect sense in that context. If you don't like having advertisements directed toward your interests I would suggest turning off your television and staying away from the internet. Targeted advertising has been the strategy in business for a long time now. It is an entrenched and proven method. The internet has shown to be a resource of a new model, namely individual communication fueling the spread of opinion, but I don't see it as completely replacing traditional advertising at any time in the near future.
  22. It's the third day and the third page of this thread, and STILL no one can post a link to the advertisement under discussion.

I am starting to believe it does not exist, and that starting an "I hate this commercial" thread that rants about a fictitious ad is a brilliant new way to pike the Interweb bear. Bravo!
  23. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

All of their beers are similar to MGD? Which beer are you refering to that compares to MGD, because Sam Adams has dozens.
  24. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Yeah, the way he sold/gave hops to competing craft breweries during the hop shortage a while back really makes him come off as a big douche. :rolleyes:
  25. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Boston Lager... the Flagship, But the other "average" beers that I have had from them, that I would never buy again are Black Lager, Cherry wheat, Noble Pils, Octoberfest, and Summer Ale. Dont be offended by my comments just cause you like Sam Adams, I was simply pointing out that for having such a pretentious marketing strategy, they turn out a poor product. I appreciate that they introduce BMC drinkers to the craft world, but I would not reccomend thier stuff to someone wanting a solid, full flavored beer. And honestly I am not aimed at bashing them, but when it comes to beer, and reccomending beer to others, there are thousands of options that would not disappoint the drinker like the above mentioned brews have for me.
  26. *shrug* Even so, the time I met him he sounded very dismissive of the smaller breweries. Perhaps I misread it, I dunno. Like I said, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the dude. But it seemed to me that his attitude towards smaller breweries was at odds with his brand image.

I dunno. In the end I find their beer to be good, but not outstanding. While they certainly have a variety, very very few of them are exceptional (in my opinion). Personally, I think they'd be better off with the Samuel Smith approach, and hone in on a few outstanding recipes instead of coming up with a few dozen every year. Especially considering the fact that among craft beer drinkers, brand loyalty is dissolving (a monster they helped create). Why buy a Sam Adams Coastal Wheat when it's sitting next to a Chimay? Why buy a Samuel Adams New World when it's next to an Allagash Curieux?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm shitting on Boston Beer. I like their beer, but really can't fall in love with it. And I honestly think they're going to have a harder and harder time in the future trying to stradle between being craft and mass production.
  27. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

The worst part of any Sam Adams ad is when the guy gives bunny ears to someone else as if this were 1992 and he was 10 years old. The awkwardness makes me cringe.
  28. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Genius observation..... had me bust out at work.
  29. I think SA should be applauded for their Brewer's Dream program. They give out 100k each month (I think) to a small business that is wanting to expand. It doesn't even need to be a brewery which makes me think I might have the program name wrong.
  30. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

I have been looking for the commercial and have been unable to find any one with a blind taste test. There are commercials where various people say it's good or that it has won awards, but no blind taste test with beer snobs. I think you are making this up or dreamed it.
  31. you never watch stuff in real time?
  32. Off topic, but to answer - no, why would I do that?
  33. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I had a SA IPA the other day and it was better than just pretty good, Boston Ale is still my favorite.
  34. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

So in summary, a commercial made you feel self-conscious about your identity as a... erm... beer drinker.
  35. No one can honestly find a video of this commercial yet? Internet, you fail. Hard.
  36. I still doubt its existence.
  37. I didn't make it up or dream it. I did miss the first few seconds of it, which lent to my confusion. I was running on my treadmill and clicked over to the NFL network when I saw it. So there.
  38. NavyGuy

NavyGuy Aficionado (150) Florida Jan 5, 2008

I think we've forgotten where we came from here... Boston Lager is the Model T of modern craft beer, plain and simple. It might not be the best out there now, but it is the original craft beer that was made in such a capacity that America could see what beer could be. Jim Koch was brewing beer on his stove before most of the people on this post were born. He humped it himself around Boston trying to get bars to buy it and sell it at a time when there was NO craft beer market, period. Not an easy sell. For those who were old enough to drink beer in the 80's you will know that SA was all there was, and from those first tastes a new generation of brewers and brewing was born. As for the ads, a simple economic lesson might help the uninformed. SA is a publicly owned company. Selling stock is what makes this country great. It is how entrepreneurs like Koch raise capital to take a nascent idea, like building the first microbrewery in the country, a risky enterprise at the time, and make it a reality. Like all inventors, he took a massive risk that his product would be accepted by an uncertain market, but without risk takers like him and a few others (Sierra Nevada) craft beer just doesn't exist. Stock holders like profits and dividends, that is why they invest in companies, and ads sell beer, this much is proven. More beer sold = more profits = happy stockholders. Pretty simple unless you have no basis in reality and actually believe that the people who form and run for-profit companies have no economic interest in the matter. If that was the case they would incorporate as a non-profit... Not that you can't love what you are doing, be socially responsible, and make a profit at the same time, but any business person knows you need to pay to keep the lights on first. SA is now a successful commercial enterprise. I fail to see how that changes the taste of the beer. Others have done it better since then no doubt, but I think every one of them owes Koch a debt of gratitude for paving the way, he almost singlehandedly created the craft market we enjoy today.
    tommyz and shawnohall like this.
  39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Like those who don't get the hype and love for SA, I kind of/sort of feel the same way about SN. While their beers are good and do seem to be of good quality and I will never knock their importance in the craft beer scene, there is nothing of theirs I have had as of yet where I was completely blown away by it.
  40. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

They aren't that bad. Would you rather watch horses kick field goals?