1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So I just saw this strange Sam Adams commercial...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrStiffington, Feb 27, 2013.

1. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (230) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

SA Boston Lager was the first "craft" beer that I ever had and I still enjoy it to this day. It is a solid, tasty brew. My only problem with SA is that they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink out there and seeing what might stick. Subtraction by addition, I guess.
  2. This is off topic, but I have been obsessed with Boston Lager this past week. I cant get enough of it. Such a flavorful, balanced, simple beer. Drinking it the past few days has inspired my brewing process more than anything I've learned in the past 2 years. It's crazy the way beer seems to come full circle for me so often. I have months when I drink strictly big, high abv rare beers, and then something happens one day when a beer like SNPA or Boston Lager blows my mind.
    DrStiffington and TongoRad like this.
  3. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (525) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

those are all commercials for Sam Adams, drink it and it might cause cancer, has horrible side effects, and can cause you to abuse the elderly....for the love of beer
  4. benart

benart Aficionado (135) Delaware Dec 20, 2008

interestingly enough this site does not have an "outstanding" category but it does have an "exceptional" (90 points or above) hill farmstead only has 6 beers that fall lower than "exceptional"... 2 with not enough ratings and not one below 88. so pretty damn close to outstanding.
  5. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I dont believe you.
    tommyz and SomethingClever like this.
  6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

about which part?
  7. If you read my original post, it said I thought it was strange and I wasn't sure of the angle they were taking. I really like Sam Adams and buy every seasonal mix pack as well as many sixers like Noble Pils.
  8. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

I just saw the commercial the OP speaks of, here is my take. To me it seems that its aimed at BMC drinkers, hence the blind taste test scenario. The blindfolded drinkers comments in the commercial seem scripted to me, especially the last guy. he say's something to the effect of "I can't believe this has been available to me all this time, and I never gave this stuff a chance" Sounds like they want BMC drinkers to know that there are other options out there.
  9. luwak

that anybody liked Boston lager in a blind tasting....anybody who has had more than about 20 kinds of beers that is...
  10. Finally someone else has seen it! I think you're right, but I've never known a BMC drinker to use the word "hoppy."
  11. yemenmocha

Well, try it yourself with a group and see - under the situation you're trying various craft beers blindly, and not all of the same style. And of course make sure you're buying fresh. I always buy with 3-4 months until expiration.

I have similar responses to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
    DrStiffington likes this.
  12. I'm with you. Sam Boston Lager is a go-to. Don't know how anyone can shit on it.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  13. yemenmocha

If it's at a bar with dirty lines, or an old keg, or old bottles from the store, or oxidized bottles.... I can see it. Fresh keg of this stuff on draft is absolutely delicious and probably one of my favorites.
  14. luwak

Yeah SNPA is a great beer i think Boston lager tastes like dirty tap water.
    But im just able to offer one opinion... one which is already overly promulgated
  15. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Yea, thats why I think it was scripted, the "hoppy" line.....
  16. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Boston lager is the beer that lead me to the promised land of imperial stouts, quads and the rest. If it hadn't been for this beer, and their seasonals, I'm sure I would have stayed lost in the wilderness of bud lite, and the rest of the lame, watered down dribble out there. I still enjoy it and I break it out regularly at BBQs and other beer friendly events with friends and family to lure them way from the macros, or it least to get them to try something different once in awhile. Sam's is good my book.
    DrStiffington likes this.
  17. Maybe this is a well known fact in the community, but I ran across this the other day:

http://www.pantagraph.com/business/article_3f06ff0a-44a8-53c2-bd18-52b5e6e25977.html

It's a story about how Boston Beer Co. sold 20,000 pounds of its hops (at a reasonable price?) to craft brewers during the 2008 shortage. Maybe this is what you're talking about tballz. Anyway, one of the craft brewers that was a recipient of these hops said, "It's a fairly friendly open industry. I don't know if maybe they just feel they're big enough they don't have to worry, but I think that there is a genuine interest and they know that a thriving craft brewing industry probably helps them too, and certainly it's just a generous gesture on their part as well."
    luwak and tommyz like this.
  18. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Yet he helps out smaller breweries all the time with loans that banks wont give them, and when there was a hop shortage, helping out smaller breweries too..Yep, does not respect it at all....:rolleyes: EDIT: I saw others post about the hop shortage after I posted.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  19. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Seminal and innovative but, given current options, no longer suitable for regular use?

That seems harsh.
  20. NavyGuy

NavyGuy Aficionado (150) Florida Jan 5, 2008

Bleakies, understand your point, thanks, good call and that was not my intent, I think I was just trying to draw the anaolgy that there is better out there now but it is still a great invention and should be respected accordingly. That said, I'll confess I don't drink a lot of it anymore, save the quarterly seasonal pack, but I would never dis it or Koch because of what it/he stands for.
  21. Except that bit of revisionist history mixed with Koch/BBC self-promotion just isn't true. Maytag's Anchor Brewing Co. is the starting point of what's become known as "craft beer" in this country, with New Albion in 1976-77 the first 'new' microbrewery. Still existing breweries like Sierra Nevada, Boulder, Redhook, Widmer, and a handful of others all predated Koch's BBC.

Mathew Reich's Olde New York Brewing Co. with its "New Amsterdam" brand pioneered BBC's "contract-brewed craft beer" model a few years previous to SABL New Amsterdam Amber Beer hitting the market in 1982. Reich even employed the same brewery consultant, Joseph Owades, who Koch (as well as Pete Slosberg) would later use.

Koch has said part of his initial inspiration was Anchor, and he would even take a brewing seminar at the east coast's first "microbrewery"- Wm. Newman of Albany, NY, founded in 1981.

Koch may have once brewed "in his kitchen" and he may even have used that beer as "samples" but does anyone really believe that the BATF (at that time) would have licensed such a brewery or allowed it legally to be sold in the US? Koch's first commercial beer came out of Pittsburgh Brewing Co. (aka "Iron City") and by all contemporary accounts hit the market in April, 1985.

Koch originally tried to distance his beer from those coming from the microbreweries (which by 1985 had numbered over 2 dozen with total barrelage already in 35,000 bbl. range - not counting Anchor), and was quoted in an AP wire service service at the time (04/15/85):

“You could start a microbrewery for that amount (the $400,000 he had raised) but you can’t make a good lager in a micro-brewery.”

Granted, inexact claims like "model T of craft beer" or "original craft beer that was made in such a capacity" are arguable although "building the first microbrewery in the country" is not, it's just incorrect. But, in either case, I don't think it takes anything away from Koch and BBC's eventual success to note that his company was neither the first nor was he alone.

Well, I fit that criteria, and I had a long list (available on request ;)) of US beers- both "craft" and ---horrors!--- those brewed with adjuncts, like Ballantine India Pale Ale - that kept me satisfied in the years before SABL hit the market.

[Gee, it's been a while since I covered this topic...I feel a little rusty]​
    teal and jamvt like this.
  22. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I have not seen the ad yet, on the lookout for it.

That being said, SA is brilliant at marketing and 90% of the their beers are really good. I assume this ad will work their favor.
    tommyz likes this.
  23. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Having read this - I'm amazed. I've NEVER had a Boston Lager. The only SA beer I've had is Noble Pils.

Yet I've not bought a BMC adjunct lager in 16 years or so either.

SA is a big brewery, they're a good brewery as in I've never heard of people getting infected bottles or heard of much variation bottle to bottle/batch to batch in taste.

I never bought the whole "We're a little brewery in Boston" deal either - most of that crap doesn't really bother me.

2 kinds of beer in this world.

Good and bad.

The rest is semantics.
  24. NavyGuy

NavyGuy Aficionado (150) Florida Jan 5, 2008

Jesskiden, points all well taken and while I would agree he was not the very first, none of those before him were able, for a multitude of reasons, to really get outside their local or regional market on a mass scale. This is Koch's business genius I think, he took craft from a niche market to a mass market. In looking at this thread some people apparently now dislike him for that, which I find ironic. Going back to my Model T analogy, Ford didn't make the only or even the best car at the time, he made the first one that was produced to be available to every American. As a result cars are now owned by pretty much every household in the U.S. From the looks of the way the beer market stats are moving we're heading towards having a craft in every fridge/cellar in America, which in my opinion is a good thing and I just believe those who made it possible should be recognized accordingly.

I recall Ballantine's well, my last vestige of that era is an antique beer head scraper with their logo on it that I found at a garage sale some years back, a classic! :)
  25. tags33

tags33 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2012

Actually you come off as pretentious by saying Boston Lager is slightly better than MGD.[/quote]
  26. luwak

No it is right on. A very apt comparison.
  27. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Un
    [/quote
    Unfortunately you have missed the point.
  28. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

And so do a lot of beer geeks. Can't stand beers you used to drink because you got introduced to "walez"? Can't drink a Sierra Nevada because it's not a Pliny? Can't enjoy a macro lager once in a while because you absolutely HAVE to drink craft all the time or you'll not be cool anymore to the other beer people? Please. That's the definition of pompous.
  29. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Are you insinuating that I am a pompous beer geek that only drinks whales? If you can watch a Sam Adams commercial and not see how pompous they are then you are fucking delusional
  30. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Heck,

I'd do it for free if they flew me out to Boston and let me drink as much as I wanted while there.
  31. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I didn't insinuate anything, so why get so defensive and nasty for? When I saw that commercial, my first thought was "Why is Jim really trying to target people that already know about his company and his beer?" Pompous? Not so much. Maybe a little out of touch with the current craft world, and most definitely out of touch with the non-craft drinking public.

Then again, I don't know anything because I'm delusional.
  32. Alright, I probably took my comment too far.

But the way he spoke, he didn't see any other micro as a threat. Sam Adams is king, and can push everybody else out. He also went on to trash the quality of other micros, seeing as how they don't couldn't put beer on the shelves as quickly (in terms of freshness) as Sam Adams can. Just seemed all in all awfully high and mighty.