1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

So, I'm at an airport bar...right now.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JohnSnowNW, Mar 7, 2013.

1. I see they have a Sam Adams seasonal on tap (alpine spring) that I haven't heard of.

Me: What style?
    Bartender: Wheat.
    Me: I'll try it.
    SIP: This is not a wheat at all.

It was okay...not going to order it again. I guess the next time I see something at an airport bar I'll just look it up on my phone.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Continuing the SA tradition of brewing beer for people that don't like beer

3. The Alpine Spring is pretty good when it's fresh, and is real easy to drink, so basically its good when you know what you're getting.

4. At least they didn't water it down like some of their other seasonals. Their winter lager seemed to get watered down and every year except for the most recent, did someone call them out?

5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Sheesh. They will hire anyone at an airport bar these days.

6. They only have 6 beers on tap...shouldn't be difficult to know what you sell.

7. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

You don't get the wheat bursting from Alpine Spring?

I think your palate's broken.

ufmj and teamizm like this.
  8. It's certainly not a wheat beer, but it's a refreshing brew that I'll order at bars where their selection is dominated by BMC beers.

9. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

Airports should only hire Cicerone certified bartenders. Screw spending money on safety

10. tell us what Airport

pjeagles likes this.
  11. when you travel, drink bourbon. Trust me.

12. DFW

13. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Savant (275) Ohio Oct 21, 2008

yup, Im at Logan right now. 4 taps, only one with a handle. Bud Light. I ask is that all you have on tap. "Yes". Ok, what do you have in bottle? "Bud, Bud Light, Bud Platinum, Miller Lite, Corona, Sam Light." Fine, "Sam Light."

Has anyone ever had Sam Light? I might as well have been drinking a Bud Light. So consider yourself lucky OP!

edit: I gave up liquor for lent, so no bourbon for this guy
    double edit: everyone else at the bar was drinking bourbon. no kidding.
    one more for good measure: another guy walked up and asked what else was on tap. Found out only Bud Light, he walked away. Followed him to Legal test kitchen. SNPA on tap for the win.

14. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

That's lame. I thought Alpine Spring was very "meh," but it's being shoved down our throats around here. Advertised, six packs, billboards, etc. My only justification of this is that it's a very easy baby step for the BMC people. It wasn't a bad beer, it was just kinda boring.

I think part of a bartender's job is to know drinks. If you can memorize all those shots/cocktails, know your top shelf to the bottom shelf liquors, memorize prices of all these drinks...you should be able to tell a customer what styles of beers you have on tap. Especially if you have a small beer list and four of them are BMC. I've chatted with bartenders at beer bars who knew immense details about each beer they had on tap and they were excited to tell me about it.

15. You know, given the fact the TSA-holes are lazy, worthless pieces of crap...I think you're onto something here.

audioserf and suspect like this.
  16. That's why you got to invest in some rum runners and fill em up with your favorite drink!

RobertColianni likes this.
  17. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

I try not to drink alcohol when flying. Bathroom availability isn't good on planes.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I enjoy Alpine Spring. You could do a lot worse.

*shrugs*

RWNay, semaj, pjl44 and 17 others like this.
  19. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

What planes are you flying on without bathrooms? I can't imagine flying without drinking.

20. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Some airports have good beer. DFW is not one of them.

21. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Did they pull the old "You can get the large beer for $1 more. You can add a shot of tequila for $2 more". I am in DFW like five or six times a year and I swear they ask me that every time I go to the bar (which is every time I am in DFW).

22. $1.50, for the big one.

23. GuzzLah

I think it's one of Sam Adams better 12oz beers. Definitely not bad.

yemenmocha likes this.
  24. I dont disagree, but I was expecting a wheat.

25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ah, yeah, it sucks the bartender didn't know what they were serving but you said you wouldn't order another so I assumed you didn't like it.

26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (565) Missouri May 11, 2012

Airport bars are overpriced anyway...

RobertColianni likes this.
  27. GuzzLah

fixed

mfnmbvp, wesbray and TheBrewViking like this.
  28. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

I just mean I have to go to the bathroom a lot of times when I drink so it isn't convenient on a plane (especially if you aren't in an aisle seat).

29. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

That's precisely why I only drink Scotch on an airplane.

Falcone, davey101 and yemenmocha like this.
  30. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Alpine Spring is pretty good. I had a birthday bottleshare with some killer bottles a few weeks ago-I invited both "beer friends" and "non-beer friends." I purchased a few 12ers for the non-beer crowd to drink if they didn't want to try any of the shared bottles, one of those being Alpine Spring. I served lunch before the bottleshare got heated up and some of the beer group drank, and enjoyed, Alpine Spring. A few said they couldn't believe how much they enjoyed it, especially on a warm February day in LA.

yemenmocha likes this.
  31. T-RO

T-RO Savant (350) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Hmmm I've never liked scotch but if it doesn't make me piss I might need to reconsider.

32. racer2k

racer2k Savant (360) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

Logan Airport has some good beer but it depends on what terminal you are in. There is the Boston Beerworks at the Jet Blue terminal and Cisco Brewing at the American terminal. Legal Seafood Test Kitchen at the Delta terminal and some decent tap handles in the international terminal but you have to walk all the way to the back and down the stairs into the domestic terminal which connects to it. I would have walked with that beer selection mentioned earlier. Water please.

33. Alpine Spring still tasted like an adjunct lager to me.

34. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Alpine Spring isn't horrible. I had a $2.50 pint for happy hour a week ago and couldn't complain. However, I'm more of an Ambien guy when it comes to air travel.

35. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,235) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Sam Adams Spring used to be a wheat beer for a few years if I recall correctly. Lazy bartender?

36. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I remember my first Sam Adams beer at an airport.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  37. I love Noble Pils. I guess I don't know beer.

pjl44, checktherhyme, commis and 2 others like this.
  38. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I had a Mama's Yella Pils at Vineyard Grille at the Southwest terminal on Valentines Day...not too shabby.

39. Nobel Pils is good for their "6 packs beers." Their non 6 pack beers are still their best stuff.

40. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I had a Goose Island IPA at O'Hare that was 9 bucks. The bartender laughed at my shock…but I tipped him well anyway!