1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

so Im in portland now...

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by digita7693, Mar 13, 2012.

1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

heading to get some food at por que no.
    and definitely grab a beer after the worst fly ive had in my life, and i love flying!
    small prop plane from seattle to portland. the plane was going sideways, we did 3 approaches... it was like a car hydroplaning, but in the air... phew i need a beer!

Ill be around the rest of the week too, cheers

don
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

nice to see you back in the states... for good now?
  3. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Yeah this was definitely a shitty day to fly. On the ground in my car the wind was pushing me around. I don't travel by air to well so i probably would have gotten sick. At least you're on the ground now. Too bad there's so little beer to choose from. ;)
  4. guajolote

guajolote Savant (405) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Nice. You can shoot right up the street to Horsebrass afterward. Definitely seems like today could be the worst day of the year to fly, especially on a puddle jumper. Enjoy PDX!
  5. digita7693

por que no was closed! a pizza scholls was too filled, so watched the portland timbers game at dingos and had a beer.

The pilot even made a comment about how shitty the weather was.

seriously on the third loop when I saw the water I thought, well, that should be softer to crash into than a building.
    About 10 of the 27 passengers got sick. Everyone left the flight looking a little pale...but with some food in me and a couple beers, all is right in the world again!!!

re: crusian, not yet, but working on it, we shall see:)
    sleep now, its 5am German time...
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  6. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Man! Did you fly america's budget airline or something? :D Glad you made it safe!

Horse Brass, Belmont Station, Cascade Barrel House, Hair of the Dog,... make it happen!!!
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sounds like you took one of those Alaska/Horizon turboprops down to PDX... I've done it too, but fortunately had smooth sailing. Now that you've survived the flight, enjoy one of America's greatest beer cities.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  8. digita7693

I just booked Lufthansa... flight from Frankfurt to Seattle was great, then this little thing from sea to pdx...

all those places are in the cards:) + upright and some others... but first some basketball tomorrow am
    djbreezy likes this.
  9. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Please tell me that wasn't a Horizon flight that had that much trouble...
  10. I'm suprised they flew. I catch the Horizon/Alaskan flights to and from Seattle a bit and yesterday it would have been vomit comet territory.
  11. Sounds like quite the ordeal Don. Glad you made it safely, enjoy Portland. Work hard and party like a rockstar.
  12. digita7693

It was Skywest, I guess its a partner of Lufthansa and United.
    Seriiously, I have flown a lot, all of the world, and this was the worst flight Ive ever been on.

Today was good though. Basketball at pearl courts in the am, sweetpea for lunch, then Apex, followed by dinner at A Pizza Scholls (love the truffle oil) then a walk over to Horse Brass.

Spirit of 77 for March Madness on Thursday.

cheers
    djbreezy likes this.
  13. digita7693

Belmont Station later tonight if anyone wants to join me, probably around 9:30

cheers
    Don
  14. slaintemhor

slaintemhor Aficionado (225) Oregon Feb 11, 2009

Man, I can empathize with the, "I love to fly but I had the worst flight ever, so I need a beer" idea! I'm one of those weirdos who normally has fun when the flight is turbulent, but..... one of my worst flights ever was going from Anchorage to Kodiak in conditions similar to what we had on monday. I was on a Dash-8 which is a bit bigger than the Embraer that you were on, but the Dash can still get pitched around way easier than say a 737. The "ceiling" was about 20' above the runway, the rain was heavy (and sideways) and the winds were at about 50 kts. We circled many times and then the pilot said. "I see a hole! We're goin' in!" Though we were all white knuckling the arms of the seats, we landed just fine. I later found out that Kodiak has (or at least had, at that time) no ILS for landing, hence the need to see a "hole" to land. Needless to say I made a bee-line for Kodiak Island Brewing where I got to enjoy many of the fine zymurgistic creations of Ben Milstein!
    djbreezy likes this.