1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

So now that threadshitting is back in full-effect ...

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Todd, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Exactly. Opens it up for people with similar beers to keep bumping the OP's thread so it can get done, in hopes they can then turn around and copycat his post. If you (the general you reading this, not cosmicevan) think I'm just being cynical, then you haven't been watching the trade forums lately.

2. MarkIntihar

Great minds...

3. Todd

Todd Founder (1,625) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes. They should get reported.

4. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

/internet high five

MarkIntihar likes this.
  5. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

I wouldn't do this because a lot just escalated to arguments and got the whole thread deleted so I'd just try and get them to stop. Someone made me realize today though that since the new forum, only the replies get purged, not the whole thread anymore...is that an accurate statement? If so I'll start flagging but I was used to not doing it because it would get some poor guys offer to disappear when they had nothing to do with the arguments.

6. Todd

Todd Founder (1,625) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We have the ability to individually select which posts get pulled.

7. cpinto6

Awesome, glad you guys can do that now. I'll start using the flagging feature then.

8. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Everyone should always just report posts. Replying to a threadshit that you know is going to get deleted is just as bad as threadshitting in the first place.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  9. cpinto6

Before, further threadshitting would get the whole thread removed. I usually just said something along the lines of those are your opinions and everyone's differ so send them privately. I wouldn't start arguing over their opinions but yea, now that I know whole threads don't get nuked anymore because people get into arguments on there, I'll switch to reporting. Before I would reply to thread shits in hopes that it didn't evolve into a shit storm and get the whole thread deleted.

10. MarkIntihar

I'm pretty sure the Bros. have always had the option to nuke individual posts without taking down an entire thread... Not sure why you had the impression that they didn't.

11. cpinto6

I don't know, because thread after thread(not implying in a short time frame) of legit offers with thread shitters arguing would disappear completely instead of just the replies when the OP wasn't even in the arguments? There would be quite a few posts of err...not sure what happened to my offer but I'm trying this again. Basically people that would post, log off and when they logged back on, poof the thread was gone.

12. MarkIntihar

Probably because with a high volume of reported posts, it was just easier to nuke the whole thread. Which is why it's best not to reply to the threadshitters, but just ignore them and report them.

13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yes, I'm saying that that was always wrong and you should have been reporting posts (and NOT replying AT ALL) the whole time.

14. cpinto6

It seemed to work fine and I never got warnings for them, EVER so that's just the way I got used to doing it. I'm starting the reporting now that the whole thread doesn't get nuked though.

15. cpinto6

yea, I guess you're right. Anyways my point is moot since they don't do that anymore so I'm gonna start using that button.

16. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

re: "this is a great offer," i think i've done it out of magnanimous drunkenness (i'm willing to bet many BA posts are like that), but if we're gravitating toward anti-threadshit rules, i do think such posts should be reported and removed.

the intention may not always be bad, but it's clearly something that would be done for bumps, trying to influence value, and other silly reasons that make the community worse rather than better if the behavior becomes normalized.

17. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

I nominate myself. 100% serious.

TrickyTunaDicky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.