So, Portland, August...

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by digita7693, Jun 19, 2012.

1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

It looks like my wife and I will be moving to Portland in August, unless something drastically changes. She will be working on her PhD and I will be starting my doctorate probably next fall, so we just decided it is time to move:)
    After stops in Iceland and NY we should be hitting Portland at the end of August, so if anyone wants to grab a beer, play some basketball or ultimate frisbee, give me a job;) etc... Just send me a msg.

Look forward to meeting some new people.

cheers
    Don

ps I plan on bringing some beers from over here.

2. but you'll still be back for Borefts right?

3. digita7693

We will have to see, a month ago it was 100%, now it is not so certain.

4. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Missed you on your last pass through Don. Looking forward to meeting you when you get here. Some Engleberg Pilsner is in your future I'm assuming. ;)

5. digita7693

LOL, for sure, perhaps while watching some Timbers!

6. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Hopefully they'll be good by then.

/Sad fan.

CaptainTripps likes this.
  7. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Would love to join you guys for this! Love this damn beer!

8. digita7693

to:LoPo87
    A gator? awesome, so I might have someone to watch UF bball and football with?:)

When I last lived in the US, almost 10 yrs ago, I was in jax and before that gville, when I went to UF.

9. LoPo87

DONE! I don't miss a game! There is actually a really large Portland Gator club that get together for games and picnics and whatnot. I have yet to meet up with them (moved here last summer). They meet at Grand Central Bowling who sponsors them and makes sure they always have the games even if on PPV only.

10. digita7693

great! Looks like I will be in town week before opening weekend, so arriving just in time for college fb!

If only Upright would open for College football games with a big screen!

LoPo87 likes this.
  11. hopsbreath

As a TN transplant, I would love to meet up with you guys on 9-15 to cheer on the Vols while they while they open a can of whoop-ass on the Gators in Neyland Stadium! Let the smack talk begin. :) Jags v Titans meet twice a year too boys. Florida wins at breweries though. Funky Budah, Cigar City, and Pegs carry a much better reputation then Yazoo and...um...yeah that's about it.

12. LoPo87

I'm no Jags fan but I would definitely sign up to cheer on my gators to beat that piece o garbage team of yours anyday :).

13. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Isn't it pretty well known that the Jaguars don't have fans?

LoPo87 likes this.
  14. hopsbreath

Ohhh, I'm going to enjoy this so much when Rocky Top gets played for the first (and seventh) time. First round is on me. :)

15. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Come on man... Bosco's flaming stone beer? The bombay IPA?

OK. No one is going to mistake Bosco's for Funky Budha, CC or Saint Somewhere, but IMHO, they're better than the stuff put out by Yazoo.

(University of Memphis/Cecil C. Humphrey School of law, class of 1985).

16. hopsbreath

Never had any Bosco's beer. I'll be sure to search them out along with Calfkiller next time I visit. Lived in Chattanooga for most of my life and went to college just outside of Knoxville (Carson Newman). Barely visited Nashville and never went to Memphis. Nashville trip for a few days whenever I go back to visit my parents for sure.

17. John_M

I wouldn't go out of my way to try their stuff. It's decent, but that's probably the best I can say about their beer. I think the Midtown location in Memphis does fairly well, primarily because they're pretty much the only game in town, and the food is decent. Bosco's is worth checking out if you happen to be near one of their locations, but otherwise...

The beer scene was pretty miserable in Tennessee when I lived there (1982 through 1989), and I'm not sure how much better things are now. At least the laws have changed so that liquor stores can now sell beer (if it's over a certain alcohol level I believe); when I lived there in 1989 we had to drive over to West Memphis (arkansas) if we wanted to obtain exotic stuff like chimay, shiner, etc. However, last time I was there in 2003, I think you could at least find sierra nevada, Samuel adams and anchor steam at the Pig (Piggly Wiggly). No one is going to mistake Memphis for Portland...

18. digita7693

Enough Tenn talk;)
    So game on 1 September somewhere, sounds good:) And hopsbreath we can heckle each other during the uf vs tenn game.
    What are some good places for watching sports? Been to Spirit of 77..
    Anyway, really looking forward to the move and meeting you all.

19. LoPo87

I live in the Pearl and always end up at On Deck. I am still a sports bar noob though so there must be better places out there.

20. John_M

Depends what you're into. Personally, I love the sort of locals, divish vibe to Claudia's on SE Hawthorne. That's where I always go. I think they have close to 20 or so TV's, and they have NFL ticket, whatever the MLB ticket is, etc. The beer selection is solid (expect to see things like HUB IPA, Celebration ale, Knuckledragger, etc.), and food is decent (they serve some interesting greek options, in addition to the usual burgers, wings, wraps and pizza).

Just my two cents....

21. digita7693

OK, getting closer to that time. We are just looking for apartments now, if anyone has suggestions, preferably in pearl/downtown or se.

I fully plan to watch the UF game on sept 1 at 12:30 local time if some people want to meet up for some beers and/or share some bottles. In an ideal world I could flip between the UF and Purdue games on that day:)

22. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Lil Cooperstown on Halsey and 58th (give or take a block) is also a good under-rated spot to watch a game. They've got 7-8 TVs and enough good beer to keep you occupied for a few hours.