1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So when did "extras" become mandatory?!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mtbdonn, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Hey Dave, isn't it hilarious that the two guys who don't get what we're trying to say posted right next to each other?

Edit: I checked this out after you posted it:
    Seems 93.4% of people always send extras. And 98.8% usually send extras. I guess it's cool to not include extras in your box though, even though you have this knowledge. It's totally not stealing.
    cavedave likes this.
  2. If you're not a noob, can you link us to your trading profile from another site? Because you obviously just signed up for this site last month and have no information about trading in your profile. (Which is rather odd if you really are a veteran, because then you'd know how important your references are.) So I don't think he was being condescending so much as trying to actually help you with good solid advice. If you really are a vet, you'd do yourself a lot of favors by helping everyone understand that.

As for your analogy, actually, beer is quite different from baseball cards or 45s. Beer is a consumable and perishable product - it has no long term value. Most people who collect/trade baseball cards are doing so for long-term collecting and/or monetary interests. Most people who trade beer are doing it to drink it, and usually rather soon. Thus, the spirit of the communities are extremely different. Trading baseball cards is more like trading stocks - both sides typically want to 'win' the trade. Trading beer (when done right) is all about sharing and selflessness.
    Crabbicuss, franklinn, FTowne and 8 others like this.
  3. Kumbaya
  4. Extras are a good example of why new traders (such as myself) should do some reading and research before jumping into the trading pool. Before reading Alewatcher's blog I had no idea about the concept of extras but it immediately made total sense, and I've happily included them in both of my trades. I mean, isn't the point of trading to share beer and try new things? How can anyone (and I'm not really talking about the OP whose gripes were different, more certain others who have posted in this thread) be so upset over the concept of throwing in a few extra bottles of local beer that you think your trading partner might enjoy trying?

The furthest I've gone as far as "discussing" extras was to tell my first trade partner that my extras might not be at the "level" (in terms of rarity etc.) he's used to since I don't have anything resembling an extensive cellar (and nothing close to the quality of his gots list), but I was able to send him a want and some other decent beers (none of which he had listed in his gots) and I think they were appreciated. He sent me two Headys as extras which was a total class move.
    dvelcich likes this.
  5. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Are
    wait, are you people serious when you refer to yourselves veterans? It's fucking beer, man. B E E R. What tiny planet are you living on?

And no, you can not see my credentials. I don't like you.
  6. Lol. Someone's getting defensive and I am pretty sure black listing themselves from alot of potential trades if he ever wants to trade in the future. They're trading veterans dude, is that hard to understand? When someone new has questions, they lend some free advice. Especially cbeer88 in these forums. Without anyone helping out noobs the trading forums would be chaos.

Clearly you don't think extras are necessary, and as such aren't so much a beer sharer as a straight trader. Nothing wrong with it, but I doubt alot of people would want to do trades with you since you're rubbing alot of people the wrong way in this thread
    FTowne and cavedave like this.
  7. Yes, veteran, as in the textbook definition: "A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity ".

I can't even fathom why you would take offense to that term. You either have a history of trading or you don't. Clearly, you don't.
    FTowne and NJOssie like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Folks who don't show credentials don't have credentials to show.

Folks who act like they know what they are talking about usually end up talking to folks who do know, and their ignorance is exposed. This usually happens in private, but some folks enjoy showing their ignorance to a large crowd.

Gramps always said better to keep mouth shut and let others think you are a fool, than to open mouth and let them know for sure. But I guess that advice is lost on the truly foolish.
  9. Porkhustle

I have desire to trade with the people who have their horns in my ass.
    And sorry, but the word veteran, and the notion of it in the realm of beer is just silly. Veteran is a word of honor. Trading beer regularly is for hobbyists. So consider yourself a hobbyist and I'll carry on believing that beer is fun, not a race with echelons and rules.

Lastly, I think extras are nice, and I usually include them, but the OP had good reason to not include them and I apaud him accordingly
  10. Porkhustle

You tailored that definition, Roy. You left out occupation, office or military force
  11. Just to humor you, let's call them experienced hobbyists then. Better? Regardless of the title, they lend advice when it is asked for or needed. Regardless of the terminology we're using the point still remains, extras are obligatory. If the persons a dick, I'm either just politely canceling the trade before anyone ships (gotta be a real dick to cancel) or I'm just gonna send a few shelf locals that they can't get as extras and be done with it, if the person is awesome then the extras will be alot more thoughtful. The OP's situation is a bit unique however. That said, I would've canceled the trade before anyone shipped.
  12. Porkhustle

I was not asking for his advice. If you circle back on the thread you'll notice that what really transpired is that a few "veterans" couldn't accept my opinion. Then they got all beer professionals on my ass.
  13. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

This is known as "concern trolling". But the good news is, it's easy to avoid -- simply click on the user's name, then click "Ignore", and their posts will no longer appear to you while you're logged in.
    domtronzero and Knifestyles like this.
  14. Do you get mad when Peyton Manning is referred to as a "veteran" on ESPN?
    Johnnyramirez likes this.
  15. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I thought you were done?
  16. Porkhustle

Call it pickle in a snow sack, I call it banter
  17. Lmaoooooo. This dudes just mad at the general public for using a word HE deems unfit for anyone outside of his definition of the word. C'mon man, lighten up in that sense
  18. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

The Manning Bros are pigskin pass hobbyists.
    dvelcich, FTowne and MarkIntihar like this.
  19. EXPERIENCED pigskin pass hobbyists.

Although Eli regularly beat Dallas, so I tend to hate on his skills. But that's beside the point
  20. Porkhustle

If you could have observed my actual demeanor over the course of this thread you would feel silly saying that. I've been smiling, with the occasional cringe, all the while. I do however encourage you to retread the thread to uncover who the real trolls are.
  21. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

That damn Eli. It was nice watching him go down playing his little hobby last week. If only Romo was a better hobbyist, darn.
    Johnnyramirez likes this.
  22. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veteran

"1. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity. a veteran of political campaigns." Full stop.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/veteran?s=t

"1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of thepolice force; a veteran of many sports competitions." Full stop.

I refuse to believe you do not recognize that words in the English language frequently have multiple meanings, so please stop trolling.
    gpawned, domtronzero, Steimie and 2 others like this.
  23. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I refuse to believe you don't know one when you see one. Stop feeding :mad:
  24. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Whew, Good thing I'm grandfathered in. ;) Now that I'm safe, I agree!
  25. Porkhustle

Funny though that you didn't choose the first definition which didn't suite your purpose.

Traditionally meanings are lessened because the population at large doesn't have the capacity or command of the language to find a more precise option, thus it subsequently becomes acceptable and eventually will get its own sub definition.

"Irregardless" is in the dictionary, which says it all
  26. You're the troll. You called someone silly for using the "tipping" analogy. Then when cavedave offered you sound advice and rightfully said you were a noob, since you've been here a month and have no references, you took offense. He said extras were obligatory, which they are. Now, lets stop feeding you, although I must admit, you are entertaining
  27. Actually I did choose the very first definition from each link. (Not that it even matters)

But:

tewaris is right, so have a nice day.
  28. Porkhustle

I've come to notice that trolling, as an offense, is largely charged by the obsessive and out of control category mongers, while the relatively calm, collected and casual sorts let this behavior go either unnoticed or revel in its slipshod candor

So basically I held an opinion on a subject which some people caress a bit too dearly.
  29. Porkhustle

Take it easy.
  30. Porkhustle

I want a hotdog now. This is what you people have done to me
  31. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Get "extra" mustard;)
  32. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Good thing I don't trade. I would have been blacklisted from day 1.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  33. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (410) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

So, to evoke Yogi Berra (Beera?): "Extras are not extras. They're extras."
  34. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Only 400. Rookie.
    dvelcich likes this.
  35. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

I like extras and I always send extras.

I have grown weary of this thread.

Now, somebody please post a pic of Nat Portman's ass....so we can end this thing.
  36. "And then...he called the sandwich...a hero. Can you believe that?! A friggin' HERO!!! Talk about disrespect!" I kid, I kid.

I've only had one less than ideal situation with extras. Long ago in a far far away land called "the old BA website" I set up a trade with a former BA who was well known for many great trades and destroying quite a few people with multiple high quality extras - this was, of course, before he went rogue and royally screwed lots of people. But I digress. One day on his profile page I saw that his "top wants" were any of the latest Jackie O's beers. Having just been to the release party I made an offer and sent a list of his Gots that I was interested in. He chose beers from that list that he thought would make the trade fair on his end and we had a deal. I don't recall what extras I sent but it was 2-3 quality bombers from his wants list. When he sent his end he didn't include extras. I took it personal and assumed I had violated some unwritten rule or done something wrong to get snubbed. I let him know that I didn't expect extras but given his reputation I wanted to know if he was unhappy with me as a trader or something I had done so that I could make it right. His response was that I had been a great trader but that upon further thought, he decided the trade was lopsided and he was giving up too much (i.e. losing the trade) so he didn't send extras. Note that he didn't say this to me during the trade, but only after the trade and I had to ask.

It rubbed me the wrong way but I felt better knowing I didn't do anything wrong and sent him nice extras. Now I just try not to trade with people I perceive as trying to win the trading game, but I think I'll always try to send nice extras even if I get burned a few times.
    jtmiller03, cavedave and dvelcich like this.
  37. Porkhustle

400 recorded hotdogs on FrankAdvocate.com, 97,453 in my lifetime
    Lordkrystic, cmmcdonn and MarkIntihar like this.
  38. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Do you subscribe to Wiener Aficionado?
  39. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

I had a feeling you were way into the tubesteak.
  40. Porkhustle

It's easy if you try, but not knowing to try is easier than knowing.

All these proverbial ditherings haven't changed my opinion, nor will it equate itself, or manifest for the sole purpose of exposure and arrest. I remain footed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.