1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So when did "extras" become mandatory?!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mtbdonn, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Depending on how big the trade is I always put in maybe 3 extras, put in as many as 6. Maybe a glass as well. Depends on what and whom I suppose, but I've sent extras, received none in return, and not even a notification he received my package, had to track it myself to see delivery confirmed. Needless to say i wouldn't send him shit in the future. A nice little I rec the box and thanks would have been nice.
  2. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I work in the service industry and depend on tip to pay my bills. I also disagree with the extras/tipping comparison. Tips pay for service, and many times hourly wages are cut short for people earning tips because they also get tips. Tips also aren't mandatory, so, while nice to receive, you can't bitch about not getting one if you didn't deserve one.

Extras are not mandatory. They shouldn't even be expected. They are extra. If you don't get any extras in your box big fucking deal. I'm sick of this feeling of entitlement from some people around here. Be humbled that someone bought you more beer than they needed to in the first place, not disappointed that they didn't send you their collection of whales because you communicated well with them or something stupid.

For the record, I also get excited about opening the box to see what else is included and I always include some extras. But do I expect there to be extras, or do I think it's somehow an unwritten rule that you should send extras? Hell no. I don't think extras should even be discussed in the trade. Where's the surprise if you're expecting it?
    Franch, mtbdonn, gpawned and 4 others like this.
  3. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

You actually make some good points here, and I never thought about it as entitlement. I guess you are right, in a way.

I still think we should all take care of each other, and the custom of extras in the trading world is very valuable, but you are right. Getting pissy, bitchy, or whiny when it doesn't go your way kind of defeats the purpose. Guilty as charged. Nice points, and thanks for the candor.
    podunkparte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.