Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine?

Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Subscribe now →

So who got lucky at Specs this week?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Azzy, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I went up there today to look for some beer and saw some 75 minute IPA, I didn't buy it but I asked what was up with it and few of the employees had told me they were allowed to stash 1-3 bottles of special releases for themselves but a new beer manager made them all empty out the boxes. I heard there was Bonnie the Rare, Boxers Revenge, Whiskey Rodeo, Bodacious, Frageelay, black ops amongst other stuff.. So which of you guys got lucky and were at the right spot at the right time?
  2. icetrauma

icetrauma Advocate (505) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Was this the midtown location? If so, I like the new beer manager and this confirmed what we have been saying all along. Crooked is as crooked does. This doesn't speak well for the old manager. Of all those, the only one I would of bagged is the Whiskey Rodeo.
  3. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (610) Texas Apr 26, 2007

First dibs on special releases is a helluva perk when you're barely making a living wage. That being said, I'll freely admit that employee "hoarding" can get out of hand sometimes.
    jamescain and Ford like this.
  4. icetrauma

I have no problem with first dibs as long as they are purchased the same day. The hoarding can and apparently did get out of hand. Whiskey was released over 3 months ago IIRC and it was still in a holding box. That is a good perk but look at all the lost revenue from those bottles. AVG price is around $15/bottle of the JK's alone.
  5. pwsoldier

Fair enough. Ultimately, paying customers come first. But you can't fault an employee for trying to make a rare beer last until the next paycheck. And when you have several releases within a 30-day period....
    icetrauma and Ford like this.
  6. icetrauma

I can agree with that as well.
    Ford likes this.
  7. Ford

Ford Advocate (595) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified

Yeah.. it would be hard to be a beer lover and work there if you couldn't afford to get the special stuff..
    pwsoldier likes this.
  8. icetrauma

For the wages yes but I'm sure they have a clearer view of when these TX whales are released.
  9. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (435) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Who cares. Did it really affect your buying abilities for the spoken releases?
  10. Azzy

I personally don't care either that the employees get to grab a beer or two and store it. I think it was kinda messed up they were told to empty their boxes even though I understand where the store would be coming from, but for someone making minimum wage those small perks would mean alot.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I think... the consumer... got lucky this week guys. /heartwarming

Those bastards at Twin Liquors Marketplace (Red River) were still hoarding Whiskey Rodeo, last I checked.
  12. icetrauma

And it's been out for how long now?

Like I said, Idon't mind putting a bottle or 2 back for the next pay check but when you hold it for months and build your stash to the point you know you can't afford to buy it, is where I have a problem with it.
  13. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (435) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Why do you care? Not like it went to waste. Someone's misfortune (financially) is someone's gain this week. It all comes full circle. Hakuna matata bro!
    Just tired of all this hate on our SW forum.
  14. icetrauma

Like I said, if it takes you longer than 1 month to purchase 1 bottle of beer than don't hoard it. Who knows who would of landed those bottles if they were not held back. Could of been you could of been me or hell, even Azzy for that matter. Somethings are just not right. If you can't afford it don't hoard it. That's one of the reasons I stopped going to Spec's downtown. I remember the 1st 6pk of DR1 I got was from a "secret stash" someone put away. The guy opened the door to an office and there where about 6 cases in there.
  15. HKemhorns

HKemhorns Aficionado (150) Texas Apr 12, 2009

I blame the skinny old guy.
    lindsey624 likes this.
  16. Azzy

I don't think it is hoarding if they have 1 or 2 bottles of a beer and cant afford to Spend $100-$300 on beer a month. I thought it was kind of messed up of the beer manager making them take out their small stash and put it on the shelves.
  17. icetrauma

Since you seem to be in the know, do beer stores, like Spec's, let employee's sample new releases? Like chef's let the waitstaff taste the daily specials.
  18. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Why? Spec's is running a business. The manager's fiduciary duty is to the company: any policy allowing hoarding should be a form of compensation directed at attracting qualified employees or educating employees that will, ultimately, benefit the business. When people begin trashing Spec's for said policies on, say, this forum, I think a reasonable manager would reevaluate store policies.
  19. Azzy

I don't know if they do or not. But If I was running a store, I would. They would be able to better sell the beer.
    blatherbeard and icetrauma like this.
  20. pwsoldier

Our distributors will buy sample bottles for us sometimes so we can try new products.
    icetrauma likes this.
  21. champ103

champ103 Champion (955) Texas Sep 3, 2007 Verified

What Dajtai said. Seems way to many people here lately just want to chase trucks from Specs to D&Q then to any HEB or Kroeger. I don't get it.
  22. Krumb

Krumb Savant (325) Texas Jan 30, 2008 Verified

So much irony in this thread. Experts on hoarding and all that.

NiceFly likes this.
  23. Ford

Ford Advocate (595) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified

The moral of the story is... you have to hide your secret beerz really well....
    Krumb likes this.
  24. i work at a store and they allow something we like to call "the devils cut".
  25. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (515) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Who makes it? I bet it's barrel aged.
    BeanBone and BruceBruce like this.
  26. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

I could care less if they keep 1-3 of every beer that comes in there. I have gotten most of the beers that have come out this year and the ones that I didn't its because I never check twitter. I work at a business, if a product comes out limited or otherwise, you can bet I will keep one for my self.
    Azzy likes this.
  27. acbe

acbe Savant (310) Texas Jul 23, 2011

I can't remember the last time I got lucky at a Specs (in Austin). Is the good stuff kept in the back or do they put it out?
  28. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Advocate (510) Texas Aug 16, 2012 Verified

This is the same at Specs as well. Sometimes we got invites to dinners payed for by wineries/distributors who wanted to show off their wares. Had a tasting menu at the Rainbow Lodge and another full dinner at PF Changs when I was at Specs.
  29. icetrauma

I don't mind and i understand this fringe benefit but in your opinion, what is a reasonable amount of time to get a beer out of your stash? 1 month 2, 3 months? Is it acceptable for a beer to remain in a stash, unpaid for, for over 6 months? Example Whiskey Rodeo.
  30. champ103

champ103 Champion (955) Texas Sep 3, 2007 Verified

Again, who cares? There is plenty of excellent beer to be had. Local and "rare" and otherwise. Stop worrying, and enjoy the excellent beer scene that we have right now. I have a fridge full of Karback Yule Shoot Your Eye Out, Saint Arnold Pumpkinator, Anchor OSA, Real Ale Brewer's Cut, Avery Old Jubilation among others. That is an excellent spread. Stop worrying about what other people might be doing and enjoy the good beer that is available.
  31. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (450) Texas Dec 15, 2010 Verified

Dude... what is up with you and this topic? Generally you sound pretty level headed in your posts, but you're harping on something that's just not that important. Not to mention assuming that this is a more wide spread occurance. It happened at ONE store and you don't even know how long those boxes were being held. Seriously, they can hold those beers for years back there and I wouldn't care. Move on, Dude!
    BeanBone, mhenson42 and champ103 like this.
  32. ehh, I'm in the "who cares" camp. I'll agree it's kind of lame for employees to hoard without paying, but it also sounds like the manager was replaced, and is fixing the situation. But like someone said, these employees are making, what $12 an hour? I'll take my $30 an hour job and live with the beer I can get conveniently.
  33. It's only beer. I'll cheers to that.
  34. icetrauma

You're right. Moving on.
  35. Daemose

Daemose Advocate (515) Texas Oct 3, 2011 Verified

I wish I would have made a trip up there this week. I didn't. Fuck.
  36. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Yeah I don't understand that one at all. When I spotted it and asked the beer guy, he curtly replied: "Un, no." Thanks dickwads. Shit or get off the pot.

Or at least hide it a bit better as to not tease the beer nerdz.

37. HopAG

HopAG Advocate (505) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Damn just saw this thread... I knew I should of gone there on Thursday...
  38. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (455) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Jesus Christ, the entitlement on this board is insane. The universe owes you nothing. The beer gods owe you nothing. Beer stores owe you nothing.
    BKotch, Azzy, Chuk_Hell and 5 others like this.
  39. Daemose

Daemose Advocate (515) Texas Oct 3, 2011 Verified

40. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (540) Nevada Jan 20, 2010 Verified

I think it would be an awesome perk.