1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

So who is going to Upland Sourfest?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by aasher, May 9, 2012.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Roll call for Upland Sourfest. Who is going? I'll be there.

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

The dude and his wife will abide....meaning yes, we will be there.

3. I will attending with 2 other BA's from Chicago.

palvarado73 likes this.
  4. I'll be driving down from Milwaukee. I'm from Indy so it just gave me an excuse to come home for the weekend. Unfortunately, my gf can't come even though she loves sours. My mom wanted to check it out so I'll be bringing her. I'm interested to see what she will think of sours since she is a wine drinker.

5. xsists

xsists Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Dec 31, 2007

I'll be there. I too will be coming down from WI. If anyone wants something, let me know.

6. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Missing this one. :( The wife will be there, but is uninterested in hearing about trades I've completed in Children's Museum parking garages or liquor store parking lots...

7. Yo Brian, you excited to hang out with MomfromPurdue?

denimdemon likes this.
  8. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Tell her I'd meet at the Fashion Mall if she'd like to pretrade her free Sour Reserve.

Rempo likes this.
  9. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

The girlfriend and I will be there, driving in from Ann Arbor. Has Upland said anything about what specific lambics will be available? Hopefully all of their fruit lambics will be available for tasting.

10. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Pretty bummed out to miss this one, but should be an awesome time

11. MordorMongo

I assume it will just be the three new ones, hopefully more though!

12. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

I'll be there with the GF, followed by St. Elmo's for dinner!

Rempo likes this.
  13. What's up with everyone going to St. Elmo's lately? I wish I was rollin' in cash like the rest of them... maybe one day.

14. Girlfriend has law school graduation this day. *FACE PALM* I white boarded a number of potential excuses with potential repercussions and most all of them pointed to me sleeping on the couch/this being brought up down the road in an argument.

15. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

missing this one... expecting a little girl any day now, so nothing major is planned away from the house. i may open a sour saturday in solidarity, though - some friends and i opened one of our gilgamesh's last night and it was just sublime.

16. normyk

normyk Savant (260) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Normy shall be in attendance. Gotta figure out where to shop before and stuff.

17. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

I'll be there with six of my closest friends (we've done KBS and DLD this year together too and Illiana Mayfest later this month). Very much looking forward to this. Anyone have any insider info on whats gonna be there?

18. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

I'll be there (with my father-in-law and brother-in-law), then being driven to Muncie to play a show because my dumbass self double-booked. But, it's at the Heorot so I'll inevitably end up intoxicated twice. Oops.

DROOO and zrab11 like this.
  19. My wife and I will be there. I'd say I'll be the one wearing the red carnation, but I'd be lying. Any ideas for how we spot each other?

20. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

I will be there with another BA friend.. I am really looking forward to a day all full of just sours!

21. I, too, will be attending with GF. I was wondering if there would be any "behind the counter" tastings not on the official list to be poured, and/or if outside contributions would be welcome. When I asked the Upland rep at Kahn's sour tasting, she did not know as she just found out she was working the event. She's not be active on this forum for some time, and I don't know how to contact her but aasher does.

22. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

While I'm not sure if there will be any "secret handshake" beers from any of the breweries - like occasionally at past festivals, Brugge might have a "secret password" beer, but this is a pretty limited ticket event so that's probably unnecessary - I do know that after paying $45 for the ticket, I'm not dipping in to my cellar to bring beers too!

23. MordorMongo

I don't anticipate taking anything inside, but I rarely travel without some tasty sour with me so if things turn bleak I just may crack a bottle or two. ;)

24. Savearth

Savearth Savant (305) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

I'll be there +1. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the fest is inside or outside (under tents in a parking lot)? Supposed to be nice weather on Saturday.

On a side note, if anyone is coming from out of town and looking for a place to grab a pre-fest lunch, Zest is a great spot and really close (up on 54th). And for dinner, Mama Carolla's has some awesome Italian food (again, just up on 54th) - call ahead. Both places are less than half mile from the fest location. I know the info on the fest says they'll have food pairings, but I'm not sure if it'll be finger foods or full-ish plates.

25. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

will people be going to pick up their sours at the indy tasting room after this event?

26. Fairly sure the event is inside. I'm considering taking a walk up to Broad Ripple on the Monon Trail if it's nice out once the fest is done to grab dinner and a beer or two (if i can handle them at that point).

27. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

My friend rudely scheduled his wedding for this Saturday in Peoria, so unfortunately I just get to be jealous of everyone else attending.

28. trbcrx123

trbcrx123 Aficionado (100) Illinois Sep 29, 2011

I'm in, Staying in Bloomington, picking up my sours there on Sunday.

29. MordorMongo

I should mention if anyone going doesn't want to purchase all their sour allotment please let me know ;)

30. xsists

Some people aren't getting allotments. I found it very strange that the regular tickets sold out before the tickets with the allotments.

31. MordorMongo

I talked a few people that bought the regular ones....they misunderstood and thought they HAD to buy the 3 $20 uplands if they got those special tickets....pretty sure that may have played a part in it.

32. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

You are all going to have painful bathroom experiences on Sunday. I'd feel sorry if I didn't feel so envious.

33. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I will be.

34. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

Do sour beers burn when you pee? or what? Ive had my share of sours but not more than 3 in a night!

35. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (645) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Other side. Much, much worse (for some people).

seeswo likes this.
  36. MordorMongo

In other words they MAKE YOU CRAP LIQUID FIRE.

Some people anyway......

37. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

Apparently no persimmon lambic bottles this time. I was most looking forward to that one. :(

38. Savearth

Hold on to the reservation though. You'll get it when/if it's ready. Bummer nonetheless!!

39. xsists

Only problem is I'm not going to make the 5.5 hour trip down to pick up two bottles. Kinda was a package deal with picking up my bottles and the fest. Fortunately, I might be able to get a mule for when/if they release the Persimmon. I too was looking the most forward to that one as I have tried the others.

40. Savearth

Point taken! That's definitely harsh for out-of-town guests. :(