1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

So who is going to Upland Sourfest?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by aasher, May 9, 2012.

1. zrab11

zrab11 Member

Only 18 HRS till sour GOODness touches my mouth!
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

You all know what you should be drinking on the eve of a sour event, right?

MORE FUCKING SOURS.

That's right.
    zrab11 likes this.
  3. Rempo

Rempo Member

Might be going...
    MarkIntihar and MordorMongo like this.
  4. seeswo

seeswo Member

I'll be there with 2 other Cincy folks. We'll be the ones walking around with the dirty horse sixtel in a red wagon
    claaark13 likes this.
  5. zrab11

zrab11 Member

Can i snag a taste from the sixtel?
  6. claaark13

claaark13 Member

When you wake up wondering what happened with a lump on your heads and no keg, you'll know I made it to the party.
  7. MichaelinFishers

MichaelinFishers Member

I'm here. 6'2" in a green Hopworks t-shirt. If you know Patty from the Fishers Crown, she can point me out.
  8. bertram

bertram Member

They need to get a fan in here. Otherwise, this is a nice event!
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Three words : Sour Reserve Batch 2.

Shit, guess that is 4 words.
    bertram likes this.
  10. aasher

aasher Member

Yeah, so Upland gave everyone n attendance a ticket. If yours was grey, you won the right to buy a Sour Reserve Batch 2. There might have been 200ish bottles.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

And the bottles had to be purchased TODAY at the Indy Tasting Room. $25 plus tax for those wanting to go ISOing it.

Al - did you stick around long enough to get a pour of Batch 1 at the event? If so, drinking well still??
  12. aasher

aasher Member

I did not, I left around 4:45. I figured I would go home and open a Temptation :)
    MordorMongo likes this.
  13. Urbancaver

Urbancaver Member

It is absolutely drinking well!
    I liked it even a hair better than batch 2 :)
    MordorMongo likes this.
  14. camil1mj

camil1mj Member

Does anyone know if the bottles of Sour Reserve 2 sold today account for all of the Sour Reserve 2 or if Upland still plans on doing reservations?
  15. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Member

Wait, so the one they opened at 5pm was Batch 1?
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

From what one of the girls in the tasting room said they decided to do it this way because they didn't feel there were enough to do online reservations. I really have no idea how in the know she was, but she works there so I assume it is fairly safe to say there will be no reservations on this one.
  17. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Yeah, they brought in 2 cases of Batch 1 that I saw and per sign were opening at 5pm. From Cam's post up there I assume he went back and it was indeed so.
  18. camil1mj

camil1mj Member

Thanks for the info. Although I am sad to miss it, that is a cool way to have sold it.
  19. denimdemon

denimdemon Member

Heard the same thing from someone at the fest that was trying to buy a grey raffle ticket or Sour Reserve ticket from someone. I thanked him for the info but declined to sell him mine.

Am I the only person that found the event kind of disappointing for the $45 price tag? Felt like an Upland vanity event or maybe I just found the other stuff I tried underwhelming.
    Lukafer likes this.
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

There is at least a 75% chance that was me trying to buy the grey tickets, hahahaha.

I honestly didn't think the pricetag was THAT bad....some decent food out there for pairings, pretty much as many pours of Blackberry, Raspberry, Gilgamesh, Juliet, Lolita, etc. as you could want. Thought the BA Barleywine Barley Island brought was awesome as was the sour Sun King brought. Worth $45? Meh, sure I would have rather it have been more like $30, but not too butthurt by it.
    antoines15 likes this.
  21. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Member

I thought the $45 was a little steep. Like Mongo said, the unlimited pours of Upland and GI were the highlight. One of those Sun King sours was hideous the other was pretty good. My biggest issue was Bells. The Oarsman, seriously? Where was The Wild One? I doubt I'd go if they had it again unless the tap list was better or the price dropped. Also, a few picnic tables would have been nice.
    jisom123 likes this.
  22. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Yeah agree on the Bell's, weak sauce. I agree some tables outside would have been nice as it starting getting hot as hell in there before we headed out. Wish Sam Adams had brought some shaved ice to pour their Kriek over for some snow cones, would have helped keep me cool and from finishing that flute of Kriek I regretted getting the second I tasted it.

Hopefully Upland will learn a bit from the event and make some improvements for next time but I had fun anyway. Really think it was cool what they did with Sour Reserve Batch 2, even though I kind of knew prior to arrival it was still a nice way to reward folks for supporting the event (it helped ease the pain of the ticket price as well imo).
  23. MichaelinFishers

MichaelinFishers Member

For a first-time event, I thought it was good. Yeah, some of the beers ranged from underwhelming to disappointing (I'm talking to you, Jim Koch, and the boys from Fort Wayne), but others were excellent (I really liked both Sun King offerings; John, which one didn't you like?) There were a few last minute lineup changes (Brugge didn't bring Super Kitty, Starlight wasn't serving the listed Against the Grain, the already-discussed absence of Upland Persimmon). The opportunity to drink all four of the Sisters together with the Upland, Barley Island, Sun King, and Brugge offerings was nice. The food was excellent, although I could have done without the signs scolding us in advance for taking too much. To top it off, my wife won the grand prize drawing from Nuvo, getting tickets to the Race, the 500 Parade, a couple of practice sessions, and VIP passes to the Snake Pit Party. So a good time was had.
    CWBlues likes this.
  24. paslaugh

paslaugh Member

I thought $45 was about right for the event. Sours are expensive to make. It was definitely worth it considering you also got the lambic reservations without playing the online reservations lottery that many were shut out of. Also I probably drank more than $45 in SR batch #1, Blackberry Lambic, Gilgamesh, and Juliet alone.

I went to school with one of the staff members at the tasting room, and she told me that they got exactly 12 cases. 144 bottles for today's lottery sale on the Sour Reserve Batch #2. I have no clue whether or not there's another 250 bottles floating around waiting for online reservations or whether they'll just do a silent release on-site, or something else. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more coming later considering Caleb initially projected 400 bottles for SR Batch #2.
  25. Rempo

Rempo Member

Here's how I break it down: $3 for the glass, $2 for parking, $10/hr for unlimited sours and food, chance to win Sour Reserve, ability to secure reservations without having to win an online race against the rest of the country. Just about right.

I was really impressed with the new batch of Raspberry.
    aasher likes this.
  26. denimdemon

denimdemon Member

In that perspective, I guess it wasn't bad. Perhaps my experience was tinted a bit by going with two people who had never been to a beer festival before that found the experience underwhelming. Oh well, glad the general consensus on here didn't seem to match mine.
  27. Rempo

Rempo Member

I thought the beers overall were underwhleming. A majority were sour just for the sake of being sour, with no focus. I didn't have the patience to try everything there just to find the couple of gems. You could be happy just going back and forth from Upland to Goose Island.

With the number of people there, the problem with rarer small batch stuff is that you'd miss out on some things - that or they'd move away from unlimited pours and switch to a ticket system. Kudos to Upland for being able to pour Blackberry and Raspberry non-stop.
  28. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Dangit, can't find the program from yesterday....can someone let me know what the name of the Sun King brews were? It may be online somewhere but I didn't have much luck on a quick search. I tried to keep a list on my phone but either I forgot where I put it or forgot to save it or something. TIA, Cheers!
  29. Rempo

Rempo Member

Sour Princess
    Stupid Sexy Flanders
    MordorMongo likes this.
  30. denimdemon

denimdemon Member

One beer I should point out that I was impressed with was Dirty Old Helen II from Barley Island. That one was a nice surprise. The lighter Sun King was Sour Princess, which I'd had before. The other was a Flanders and I can't remember it's name. Both were OK but I feel like whatever malt they use combined with the bugs gave the beers a peculiar (and similar) graininess that I didn't find super pleasant. They were still among the better beers I had. Upland's beers easily took the cake, though. I thought the Blackberry was amazingly good, I always forget about how well that beer works. Sour Reserve was obviously best in show yesterday but having had it a couple times prior, I'd already been banking on it.
    aasher likes this.
  31. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Thank you kind sir!

I liked the Dirty Old Helen II also and was very impressed with the BB Barleywine they brought also.
    aasher likes this.
  32. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Member

For a second I was confused how you knew my name was John and then I realized it's in my handle. Haha...
    I thought the Princess one was pretty decent. It was the darker one that I didn't like.
  33. aasher

aasher Member

Dirty Helen II was definitely a pleasant surprise. THREE years in barrels!
  34. xsists

xsists Member

I thought the selections were underwhelming. I did have a good time though. Happy I went as I got the reserves and just having tickets got me down to Indy for the weekend. That said, I don't think I will attend again unless it is changed.
  35. MichaelinFishers

MichaelinFishers Member

LOL! The same way you know mine is Michael!

I liked the Flanders. There was a lot going on in that glass. One of the most complex beers I tasted, I thought.
  36. StargazerC

StargazerC Member

Hey all, Cari here from Upland.

Sorry to everyone that I've just caught up. Some of the folks in here know that Sour Fest was my first event back from a month long medical hiatus. I'm trying to be more present on the forums.

A couple of things:
    Thank you to EVERYONE who attended. This is our first stab and what we hope to be a fun event in the future. I'm glad that you all came out, hope you had fun time despite some of our trip ups.

We tried our hardest to make the $45 ticket price worth it to attendees. I know some of you thought it was steep, some of it just right. It was expensive, but part of the issue is that, by law, we HAVE to reimburse breweries for 'travel expenses,' so essentially making it worth their while. Although we planned this event and set the date back in January, that just isn't long enough to brew, ferment, and age sour beers. Uplands sours, at only 6%ish, take easily 14-16 months to be ready for sale. We're hoping that, because this event was such a success, other breweries around here will want to take part next year. I had a few IN breweries tell me they had sours in the works, they just wouldn't be ready in time. Top that off, it is extremely difficult to get out-of-state breweries who aren't already distributed in Indiana, which has been made more difficult in recent years. Really, we have to start planning a good year out to get them, if not longer. As for the breweries represented, if any of you know I'm a huge sour fan, and I had my favorites for sure. Would we have liked a better representation of breweries? Sure, but it happens. Now that we've set the precedent, though, I think next year will have a far better reception to anyone who was hesitant in participating. I encourage you, if you have a favorite brewery or beer you would have liked to see at Sour Fest, let the breweries know!

We also have a huge parking lot and nearby restaurants, bars, and stores. Next year, I encourage people to come by early and enjoy the area safely. It's one of my favorite areas in town, partially because I live very close by.

Persimmon: We're still keeping an eye on Persimmon. Under the 'scope, the yeast is alive, there is sugar in there, but it's being sluggish. We, in all good faith, couldn't sell you a product that we did not feel was ready and at it's best representation. Caleb and the crew are keeping a close eye on Persimmon, hoping for recovery, all while brewing our regular beers AND setting up our new westside Bloomington brewery. When we feel Persimmon is ready, we will make an announcement.

Sour Reserve Batch 2: Actually I didn't know until I looked at the case/bottle: What you drank at Sour Fest was Sour Reserve Batch 2. Great news, too! We will be announcing soon a limited release to the public of more Sour Reserve Batch 2 bottles using the same reservation format we have in the past. And like the first batch, these will not be sold to stores or bars/restaurants. If you aren't on our mailing list already, I encourage you to go to http://www.uplandbeer.com and register for our newsletter. This will give you updated info on the brewery, beers, events, and yes, special sour releases.

Since I don't get on here near as much as I should (and I will try, I swear!), please feel free to send me an email at cari (at) uplandbeer (dot) com with any questions, comments, unabashed praise. Yanno, whatever you like.

Thanks again for a wonderful reception for our First Annual Sour Funk Fest. We hope to make next year even better!

Cari Crowe
    Business Development Manager
    Upland Brewing Company
    paslaugh, Rempo, MordorMongo and 2 others like this.
  37. jefeld

jefeld Member

I'm saying prayers for persimmons safe and timely success. Also what is the deadline bottles reserved in the last batch can be picked up by?
  38. Rempo

Rempo Member

Saturday I hope...
  39. StargazerC

StargazerC Member

Yes, Saturday is the last pickup day, sours will be released for public sale on Monday.

CC
  40. denimdemon

denimdemon Member

Will you guys be open Monday since it's a holiday?