1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Soap

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PuFtonLyfe, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I'm on the hunt for a good beer-glass-friendly soap. Any good suggestions?

2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Rinse with water and air dry.

3. There are actually a few products out there for cleaning glassware, but they are overpriced, and rinsing with hot water and wiping dry with a lint-free cloth will do just as well.

4. Rinsing off all of the soap residue after washing is very important, otherwise you leave a foam killer in the glass. Any dish soap is okay.

DelMontiac likes this.
  5. It's my experience that if you rinse well with copious amounts of hot water you shouldn't have a problem, regardless of the soap used.

DelMontiac and Horbar like this.
  6. any dish soap works. If your worried about dish soap or excessive cleaning taking the logos of printed glasses I would console you by saying that unless you clean with steel wool, you will end up braking your glasses long before you "clean" the logos off

7. When I was younger and a waiter, they taught us to clean snifters and wine glasse with Steam and a coffee filter! Always came out perfect. Even glasses stained with Red Or Stouts

CaptCleveland and jhartley like this.
  8. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I use a non-scented hand soap. Easier to rinse all the bubbles away, and doesn't leave a trace of soap aromas.

9. I rinse my glasses with boiling water. Even sticky stout residue from the night before comes right out.

10. I don't use soap to clean my glasses, hot water and air dried is the only way to go, imo. I like MetalMountainMastiffs suggestion above too!

11. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

If they are really dirty I use Dapple. Its a kids soap so its pure and clean. I also use a bottle brush with rubber spines to clean the glass. No scratches.

Cheers!

12. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

I hand wash all my glasses, the most important step is rinsing out your glass right after using it. That way it can sit for days without being properly washed but doesn't get any residue dried onto it. Also have a dish brush specifically for beer glasses so there's no cross contamination. It's all very scientific haha.

13. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

what he said

Helps if you rinse out your glass before the beer sits out for too long and drys

14. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I put mine in the dishwasher. Deal with it.

15. A dishwasher will pit the glass and fade the logo over time if used at the setting for regular dishes, etc. However, I don't know what the result might be if a dishwasher has a 'gentle' setting. But it's not worth a full 'gentle' cycle a for a few glasses.

16. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Maybe this is why some people think IPAs taste like soap?

jimcivis and PuFtonLyfe like this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I get bored with glassware long before the dishwasher could do any damage. Also, it cleans the glasses while I sleep or do something that is not washing dishes. This benefit far outweighs any possible negative effects on the glassware.

18. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

me too. would never put soap in my beer glasses

19. Too lazy. Throw my etched logo glasses in the dishwasher then pour a small amount of beer and swirl it around before pouring the whole bottle.

20. PJHealy

PJHealy Aficionado (100) Ohio Jun 14, 2012

Rinsing with hot water does not clean the glass. Oils won't rinse off, and on your next pour you'll see that bubbles stick to the oily spots on the inside of the glass. Also, germs can live on the glass for 12 hours or so after rinsing.

If I'm cleaning only a few glasses, I use a bottle brush with a small amount of fragrance-free detergent from the supermarket. I rinse thoroughly.

If I'm cleaning several, I break out the BeerClean glass cleaner and in-sink brushes. MicroMatic sells these. I skip the sanitizer since the clean glasses will sit a day before re-use.

I dry with paper towel. Used to use micro-fiber towels, but they left tiny bits of lint on the glass.

Yes, I freely admit that I'm anal about these things.

21. Just curious, but how does a dishwasher pit glasses?

I've thrown my glasses in the dishwasher for years, no pitting or label fading for me.

22. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

My household doesn't have a dishwasher (or rather, I am my household's dishwasher) so the only way in which I wash my glasses differently from how I wash everything else is that I switch to the sponge I exclusively use for glasses. Otherwise it's garden variety dish soap > thorough hot rinse > air dry.

23. I'm going to have to agree with PJHealy- rinsing does not always work. Any lip balm or lipstick left on the rim of the glass will not rinse off with hot water alone. I use a stemware cleaning brush like this-
    [​IMG]
    as well as an unscented dish soap. I rinse very well with hot water. I'll have to check out BeerClean glass cleaner.
    Is BeerClean the name of the company? Or just the brand name? And, although I'm sure paper towels work fine, I set all my glasses upside down on drying racks before they go back into the cabinet. A quick rinse with cold water just before pouring. Mmmm, I think I'll go pour one now...

24. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Any dishwashing soap is good and thoroughly rinse. If you are REALLY concerned you can then rinse in a solution of 75% water and 25% white vinegar. That will getany remaining soap residue off the glass. You would then rinse once more in regular water. However, that is really overkill and doing the first part and rinsing thoroughly should suffice.

25. PJHealy

PJHealy Aficionado (100) Ohio Jun 14, 2012

BeerClean is a brand name. You can find this or some similar product at restaurant supply stores or online. Basically, I'm trying to imitate the 3-tub system that restaurants use, but with my own 1-tub sink. For a hilarious yet seriously informative video on this, see this:

My air-dried glasses get hard water spots on them, so I feel forced to dry them. I've never tried the no-rinse sanitizers that you can buy, but I bet they'd fix this.

I've started doing the cold rinse before serving, too. Apparently helps head retention. Kinda curious about the physics behind that...

26. a single drop of regular dish soap with hot hot water and a sponge will do ya fine.

jbeezification and fujindemon74 like this.
  27. I don't know what action occurs during the dishwasher process but I have a couple of glasses that I use most of the time (they are easily replaced from local breweries - that's why I use them) that look like calcium has built up and nothing cleans it off (I've tried vinegar and lemon juice). The color on the logo of each glass is very faded too. It almost seems like the grainy soap that goes into the dishwasher acts as a sand blaster to be able to help remove grime from pots and pans, and that's certainly not good for glassware. But that's just a guess on what's happening.

28. I "inherited" a several years old Pyramid Broken Rake pint glass from somebody's house, it had that calcium like buildup and faded looking label. I've seen that type of white residue at some peoples houses. I started using the glass anyway and 3 runs through my dishwasher it basically got restored to like new condition, bright label and sparkling glass.

I don't know if it's the water or detergent that does that, but I just use cheap gel type detergent and Jet Dry. I'm pretty sure it's a mineral type buildup rather than a sandblasting action that causes it.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  29. I use Dawn Dish soap. Hand wash with hot water and rinse well. Glasses come out perfectly clean

30. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I wash in the dishwasher now ... the rinse cycle on mine is great, no residue. I always pour 1-2oz of beer in my glass and swirl it around and drink it. Then I pour the rest.

31. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

32. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Cascade of course.

33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Great old sitcom btw...;)

34. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

No soap.

35. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Soap, hot water, dishwashers??? What are these preposterous cleaning methods you all claim of?
    I bury my chalice under dirt, put on my monk robe and sit on it for 1 hour. When its done cleaning blow on it to remove the dirt.

36. Use the tears of a sinner and wipe the glass clean with her hair.

brewsader likes this.
  37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

B brite. Oxiclean organic. Same stuff I use to clean my brewing equipment.

38. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I usually wash mine in the dishwasher(as do most brewpubs) but I have had some labels fade over the years. It's no big deal, I'm drinking the beer, not the logo on the glass

39. we use nu foam at work before sanitizing the glasses but i think that stuff is made to not leave a residue in the first place. it might be worth considering for home use but i've never used it at home myself.

40. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

you don't have to avoid soap. Even lab glassware is washed with detergent. If it weren't, oil and proteins would accumulate on the glass and contaminate future solutions.
    General lab rule of thumb (which uses much stronger detergent than the usual dishwashing liquid) is to rinse each bottle / beaker 10X. As long as you do that, there should be zero soap residue and a squeaky clean glass. If fussy primary cell cultures are fine with that, trust me, it's totally clean.
    :)

PuFtonLyfe likes this.