1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Soccer friendly brewpubs in Portland?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Sebowski, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

I'm going to be in Portland 11-14 and would love to be able to watch the Euros while also crossing brewpubs/beer bars off the list. The games are around breakfast and lunch time, so bonus points for that as well. I'm staying downtown and won't have a car.

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now leading up to the trip. Thanks for all the good info. If anyone wants something from San Diego shoot me a PM. I may bring some stuff up with me.
  2. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

442 isn't a brew pub, but it is a fantastic soccer bar.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

The Horsebrass always used to show soccer games on the weekend (generally the only time they would drag the one TV out). I've never gotten down there for the breakfast crowd during soccer games, but it's probably worth shooting them an email or giving them a call to see what the current story is regarding soccer on the weekends.
  4. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

The BeerMongers often has soccer on. They have two TVs and can be pretty accomodating if there aren't a lot of folks into something that's already on.
  5. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

BeerMongers for sure. Sean is big into soccer and will most definitely have the games on.
  6. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

According to their FB page, the Brass is showing the following Euro games:

Monday June 11th, 2012
    11:45am Ukraine vs Sweden LIVE
    1:45pm France vs England Recorded

Tuesday June 12th, 2012
    11:45am Poland vs Russia LIVE
    1:45pm Greece vs Czech Republic Recorded

Wednesday June 13th, 2012
    11:45am Netherlands vs Germany LIVE
    1:45pm Denmark vs Portugal Recorded

Thursday June 14th, 2012
    11:45am Spain vs Ireland Republic LIVE
    1:45pm Italy vs Croatia Recorded
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

IMHO, this makes the OP's choice a no brainer. Definitely go the Horse Brass to catch the games.
  8. While I totally agree with options like Horse Brass or The Beermongers for beer selection and atmosphere, Sebowski mentioned being in downtown without a car...

A couple downtown options:
    Kells, on SW 2nd, will be showing all matches according to their viewing schedule
    Thirsty Lion Pub, also on SW 2nd. They've recently expanded/upgraded their beer list
    Both places have multiple TVs and good atmosphere. Since they're across the street from one another, it's easy to check out both.
  9. If you do have potential transportation and like Belgian imports on draft... Bazi on SE 33rd and Hawthorn is always playing the soccer games.
  10. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

That is one on my list of places to check out so that helps, but it is also the furthest, and half the games are on tape delay. Could be a good spot for a lunch game and then cross Belmont off after.

Walking distance would be huge. Proximity to whatever else the GF and I are doing that day will make a big difference, so thanks for all the tips.

Still haven't found a place that is getting the USA-Guatemala PPV Tuesday night. Probably for the best as I'm not sure I could negotiate that time slot within our other plans. I'd try though...