1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Social Media and craft beer

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Follow a few people on twitter and facebook but finding that the posts are getting more and more sugar coated and full of just pure drivel that makes me want to go back to wine. Is it just me or that here in Australia in social media that there are too many taking themselves seriously and sugar coating the scene and just force feeding craft beer down people's throats. Is there too much of a hipster element in craft?

If you want discuss, if not that is fine too.
  2. foles

foles Savant (410) Australia Jan 28, 2007

Depends who you follow I guess? I enjoy craft beer on twitter. You get to interact with brewers, brewing authors, likeminded beer people etc. Just unfollow the twats. I'm @foleybrewing by the way. hopefully I'm not one of the twats I just mentioned!
  3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Dont disagree at all. So much sunshine, self congratulatory stuff and first time evers.

Today i heard Australian beer is on a par with Europe and the US, if not better than the US we see imported.

I'm off to pick up 3 Aussie brews (Gueuze, American style barleywine and IPA) at the shop tonight and find out myself how they stack up to Cantillon, Bigfoot and Racer 5.

Obviously it's all subjective and personal tastes differ. I'm happy to support the local stuff, but not to the point of ignoring what is happening on the other side of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Or even believing that anything made with a 4 digit postcode is automatically better - because i live in a suburb with one - than beer from a postcode that is 5 digits, starts with a letter etc.

There is some really good stuff being made here: Riverside 44, Wild Thing, Murrays Anniversary, Brewboys Hoppapotamus etc, but i dont think people should be biased against what what happens outside a half a dozen states and a couple of territories (of which only one has breweries).
  4. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I feel that Social Media's opinion on craft beer is about as worthwhile as Social Media's opinion on every other topic...not very.

That said I have not actually met anyone who is genuinely that hipstery when it comes to craft or anything else...it's more just the way people have gotten used to presenting themselves and their opinions when it comes to social media.

I agree...stuff like Murray's AA shows there is world class stuff being made in Australia...it is just not necessarily the same as the beers which everyone happens to be hyping.

That said I just managed to score a hitherto elusive Bridge Rd India Saison, so I will get to pass judgement on that somewhat-hyped offering shortly.
  5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

I've always noticed this tendency in the Aussie scene and can't say I've noticed it getting any worse.

I despise sentimental claptrap in any shape or form, so this we're-all-in-it-together-positive-vibes-only cliquey echo-chamber makes want to vomit.
  6. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

MrKennedy likes this.
  7. Am I reading right, did I need just to wait 6 months instead of making a dick of myself for a tidal shift to occur in the online beer world/social media stratosphere? Most if not all NSW beer was crap and now good?

Sorry, sarcasm key is on ...
  8. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

No, just a selective use of memory.
    danieelol likes this.
  9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Have read the article before and it's obvious that that's your attitude what with all your posts: "you may criticise my Pale Ale but you do not know what compound is responsible for banana flavours in hefeweizens therefore I am going to take your and everyone else's apart from Doc's opinions with a heavy dose of sodium"

Then there was the whole undermining the whole US brewing thing (the US brewing movement has a bit of a headstart on your 3 year old pub) which you recanted as soon as you actually sipped a Double IPA which was not brewed by a terrible Australian brewer.
  10. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

it is not about is the US scene better. It is different. You take the best Aussie brewers.........Feral, Murray's, Bridge Roads, Mountain Goat and what else is there??? Then compare to the US Great Divide, FFF, Founders, Bells. Bruery, CCB, Russian River, Goose Island, Surly, New Glarus, Sierra Nevada, Bear Republic, Stone, Green Flash, Alpine, Lost Abbey, and Brooklyn. So that is 18-4. I mean really. It is depth and depth of range. Feral may make a good BW but LA, RR and New Belgium have made world class beers.
    Has anybody in Australia made 3 variations of a beer like Great Divide has with yeti and its variations yet?? When Wild Thing and Boris are available year round then people here can shout they are on par with the US.

I could use a DIPA right now.
  11. Nobody should ever guage anything from social media and remember that an opinion is strictly that, an opinion. Just because i might think that a certain beer is superior to another it doesn't mean that is the case. Too many people get worked up on what others think and how our country compares to others etc. Of course we wont have as many quality breweries like the USA as our market wouldnt support it. Fact is the top craft breweries (and not the tourist breweries) deliver world class brews that we all should be happy to drink.
    sirob likes this.
  12. Kirko

Kirko Aficionado (115) Australia Sep 10, 2005

I don't disagree with much that has been said here you but I also think you're reading far too much into Ben's comments in the article. It wasn't a commentary on the state of local brewing vis-a-vis the US. It wasn't Ben's thoughts on whether his beers stacked up against Pliny the Elder. It came as result of a simple question about whether the flood of imports was an issue for the local industry. The fact that he didn't say "yes, imports suck, people should buy Australian" was a credit to him, I thought. I don't think because he expressed some confidence in the local industry he was engaging in jingoistic platitudes or misplaced parochialism.

So far as the comparisons that have been made here though, comparing the local scene to a scene that arguably has a 10 (15?)-year head start on the local one, has more than 2000 breweries, a more mature and massively larger market, is a little bit moot. The fact that an industry that has, maybe, 140 breweries and has a market penetration of less than 1% (not looking at big brewers here) in a market of 22 million can throw up even a handful of brewers that you would mention in the same sentence as brewers from an industry that is 30 years old, has 2000 breweries and a 5-8% penetration of a market of 225+ million and is leading brewing trends globally is a pretty good sign and I think bears the limited reading of Ben's comments out.

I haven't been to the US for 3 years but when I walked into an average US brew pub - rather than drink the beers from the top 10 that always get mentioned here - the quality wasn't mind-blowing and made Aus look pretty good by comparison. I had the same experience in Europe last Christmas. Taking the best from the US that are available here and comparing them to the total Australian market is a little distorting.

Brendan Varis comments here are also relevant, I think...http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/09/feral-wins-in-hong-kong/

Anyway, thanks for reading BN and discussing the articles!
    sirob, foles, spicelab and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Brendan is brewing beers that deserve to be called world class, such as Hop Hog. Day old Hop Hog is still one of the best things I have ever had the pleasure to drink.
    sirob and foles like this.
  14. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Kind of like the caviar of the beer world then??

Anyway, not sure if this thread is going off its intended path, but I thought the article and input from Ben was a good read. And I'm sure we'll see the local beer drinking public get more educated and supportive of high quality beer regardless of where it comes from.
  15. Well someone is a bit tired and emotional ey.

Is it to much for ask for anyone before they rip apart a beer to have some sort of clue? Funnily enough, the more I know, the less I know. If iso-amyl-acetate needs to be known, then so be it. Can I ask if what you are agreeing to is, a continued and sustained ignorance of the basics of brewing which after a few too many leads to the right to make an opinion because you have a keyboard and an IP address?

Undermining the whole US thing ... because a DIPA is a waste of malt and hops? Funny ey', when I was in the US last year I only found 1 DIPA on tap, but i found lots of the largest selling craft beer in the US, IPA.

And what a milestone 3 years is for the pub, the brewing company turns 5 in September ... success is a bitch ey! What would I know ey' ... what would I know ...
  16. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

I don't like it when mummy and daddy fight....

Anyway, back on topic.

I think brewers and pubs can be excused for making everything being the best ever. It's their job to drum up interest etc in their business/beer. I think we're all adult enough to take official twitter/facebook/whatever posts with a grain of advertising salt. That's what they are.

Brews News/Crafty Pint/Beer and Brewer etc: It's their job to cheer the industry and support us. They are a little bit more subdued and I think 'truthful' with their cheering, otheriwse they would lose credability, but our advertising etc pays for them, they inturn cheerlead for us. It's a symbiotic relationship that, once again, we should be all adults to recognise it for what it is and recognise the valuable role it plays evangelising the craft beer scene.

At the end of the day though, it's all subjective. Do what Mr Foles does, don't follow the twats, unless you do actually enjoy the rage it produces. Just treat it like you would any other information utility. There's a reason I don't read The Sun, The News of the World, Lukie's Manifesto or Mr Perthbelgianbeers' blog...
  17. mungus

mungus Savant (260) Australia Oct 19, 2010

i have no fucking idea what the majority of you are on about
  18. It's unrealistic to expect the craft scene here in Australia to be equal to or greater that what it is over in the States. It is also rich for anyone who lives in Sydney or Melbourne to complain about the state of their local craft scene when the rest of us practically starve.
    foles likes this.
  19. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

My manifesto is all about sours which are gross.
  20. Without reading the article. (as a true ludite I prefer not to do social media) My thoughts are that it depends what beers you wish to compare. If we are talking Hopp driven (DIPA's, PA's IPA's etc) and Stouts (with the exception of Barrel aged) then I think some Australian Brews do stack up well. However in the case of Belgians, the US have a much better track record here. I can only think of La Sirene as a truely exceptional Belgian Style beer, whilst the US/Canadian brewers have had a serious crack at them.