1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Societe Tasting Room

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Beerandraiderfan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Website doesn't say hours. Phone number says no longer in service.

Was thinking of stopping by this weekend, love their ipas. . . but, uh, no hours + no phone = concern.

Anyone care to chime in with info?

2. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (335) California Jan 11, 2010

from their twitter page:
    We are open 7 days/week M-Thurs 2p-9p, F-Sat 12p-10p, and Sun 12a-6p.

3. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

4. It's not the most user friendly website in the world, but then again, I much prefer good beer and lame websites to lame beer and good websites.

5. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Until they lower their growler prices I cannot offer customer support.

6. Thanks guys. Anyone who has been recently care to chime in with their experience?

Wish they had a cheap growler option, the beer is damn good, but since I'm not local (sigh, says the guy born in San Diego) can't justify it.

7. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

As someone who drinks their beer almost weekly (I work across the street), it's pretty amazing how much fine tuning they're doing on their recipes - most of their beers taste at least a little different than when they first came out. Some, a lot. If it's been more than a few months since you've last had Apprentice, you'll probably be very pleasantly surprised.

8. riko

riko Savant (290) California Jan 18, 2008

Recent batches of the Apprentice and Pupil have been excellent.

9. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (440) California Jan 9, 2013

I had the Pupil earlier this week & remarked to a friend how much tastier it was than when I had it previous times. I thought it was just super fresh. If it was some fine tuning than I love what they're doing over there.

taffeys likes this.
  10. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (975) California Nov 29, 2006

The batch of The Butcher that's on right now is stellar.

taffeys and JustXBeer like this.
  11. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (975) California Nov 29, 2006

The Pupil can vary quite a bit from batch to batch. It's always good, though. One of my favorites and probably the beer I drink most often these days.

taffeys and BrianTheBrewer30 like this.
  12. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Beer geeks bitching about beer prices...always amusing.

13. There is a tipping point though. . . isn't there? Like Walter said, "draw a line in the sand, you do not cross!"

Also, growler is not the preferred nomenclature. Big ass bottle, dude, please.

AptosBeerDrinker, stawn and jodan like this.
  14. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Seems like a valid complaint, here.
    • Societe fancy growlers = $25
    • Other brewery growlers that work basically the same = $5

15. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

It's a 1 time purchase. It won't break unless you drive it over with your car. Given how much people spend on bourbon barrel aged beers for $30+ I don't see an issue with buying 1 less of those bottles and buying something that'll last forever. It's all about perspective. Besides, none of the 5 other breweries that are using stainless charge any less for them.

taffeys likes this.
  16. I was using mine as a water bottle. Then I drove off with it sitting on my tailgate. Someone in Golden Hill has a new growler!

pinkgrenade likes this.
  17. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Holy lord, didn't we just have a multi-page thread about Societé's growler pricing? The point is, nobody would give a damn about a $25 growler if this was any other state and we only had to own one. But in California, where we're for now required to own a unique jug for every single brewery we'd ever want a fill from, expensive growlers feel like a bit unnecessary an annoyance.

Beerandraiderfan and jmgrub like this.
  18. Sebowski

I've heard new growlers at cheaper price points will happen.

19. Sebowski

I think jamex was referring more to there "bar pricing" vs. brewery pricing structure for fills. It is annoying, but the beers are fantastic.

20. Orrrr, you could borrow my growler, take it with you, and promptly fill it with something delicious from home and send it back!!!! (assuming you're not from another CA locale)

21. Also, check their website, they tend to have rotating food trucks visit during peak hours. Enjoy!

22. sil1

sil1 Aficionado (245) California May 19, 2012

Apprentice and the butcher are money !

23. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Put some water in their growler when it's not filled with beer. I poured a gallon of arrowhead water in there and it tasted like a pond of snow after it was in the freezer for 300 minutes.

24. Went there for the first time last weekend and thought the all the beers were fantastic. The one that really stood out to me was the 10/19 Obrien's Pale Ale w/ Chinook hops. One of the best noses on a beer that I have smelled with a great clean, crisp taste to back it up. Was glad that they did half pours of all their beers and made it alot easy to try most of their offerings. It was a tough pill to swallow with the price of the growler but couldn't pass up getting a fill of the Pupil to take back to Seal Beach with me. Overall had a great time and will make it a point to go there everytime I'm down there and get a fill in the future.

dcgunman likes this.
  25. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Haven't been there yet. Am planning on stopping in on my next Alpine run. From the picture on their webpage the price of a new growler is $25. Is that correct? And you have a choice of stainless or the fancy german style? Hanger 24 out of Redlands also uses the fancy growlers. And new is $25. So the pricing isn't bad. They choose to purchase and use that style. I have one from Hanger 24. It is nice, but yes the regular cheaper growlers do the same as the fancy ones. What I like is the stainless growler. Don't have one yet. What size is the stainless? 64oz?Is the stainless growler insulated? If it is then it is worth more than $25. I believe Stone sells a stainless canteen (40oz) for $24.
    How does their IPA's compare to other WestCoast IPA's? Example: to Alpine's, Ballast Point, Kern, etc.

26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

1 growler? Just 1? Sorry, I need 10 so I can buy a sixtel.

Another issue is unless you carry all 50 of your SD growlers in your car at all times, you might be passing through and say "I'll stop in and pickup a growler". With Pizza Port growler options, that's doable. Societe? Fuck no. You have to PLAN to get a growler and have those $$$$ bitches in your car.

27. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (300) California Nov 29, 2012

Rip Current Brewing only charges $20 for there SS Growler.

taffeys likes this.
  28. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (300) California Nov 29, 2012

[​IMG]

29. stawn

stawn Savant (325) California Sep 16, 2008

I wish I could fit a gallon into a 64oz container.

Levitation and riko like this.
  30. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

skunkpuddle has a growler of holding. Consumption of any liquid stored in the aforementioned growler of holding restores one's mana, but at the cost of 20% of one's intelligence for six hours after consumption.

Levitation, stupac2 and jamex like this.
  32. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Not everyone is a raging alcoholic that has to buy beer at every brewery they pass.

33. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I like how $5 growlers and "absurd" stainless steel pricing always come up in Societe threads. I also like that almost no places (that are worthy of growlers) have $5 growlers and my stainless steel growler hasn't shattered rolling around in my trunk.

I wish all breweries went to the $20 stainless growlers if only to get the whiny cheapskate bitches that spend $30 on a bottle of hype to stop complaining over and over about stainless growlers.

domtronzero and dcgunman like this.
  34. Thanks for the offer, but the whole 'something delicious from home' is an impossibility. I'm in Nevada :(. Awesome state, just not for growler fills.

35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Wow, black and white much? Whose troll account is this?

36. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (425) California May 19, 2006

Really, the raging alcoholic argument on BEER ADVOCATE? Come on, you can do better than that. Nothing in his post mentioned compulsion to buy more beer. Sometimes you're in a situation where you might want to buy a growler (awesome beer on tap, unexpectedly are in the neighborhood, etc).

dcgunman, evilc and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  37. I only want to fill my growlers at Kern River, Alpine, Pizza Port, Green Flash, Societe, Bruery, Bootleggers. . .I guess that makes me a selective alcoholic versus raging.

domtronzero and dcgunman like this.
  38. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

Not a fan of Society at all. Their prices are just ridiculous for a startup brewery. Expensive growlers and $15 taster flights? Hello other SD breweries.

39. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

So is their quality...I don't bother with growlers from them since I can walk to both TigerTiger and Toronado, who both always have 2 or 3 Societe beers on tap, but their quality far outstrips the majority of other startup breweries, and a lot of established ones, too.

cocoapuph likes this.
  40. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

I have to disagree, I thought their RIS was horrible (although this was 2 months ago), and didn't care for 2 of the IPA's I've tried. Also service was pretty snooty. I might have just had a bad experience, but it was in the middle of a 5 brewery trip and this was by far the low point of the trip.