1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Societe Tasting Room

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Beerandraiderfan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

Had a couple Poor Man's tonight. What a fantastic beer. Best DIPA of the season, and it ain't close.
  2. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

we should have put it to the test the other night
  3. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

Thinking of bringing my growler of Bad Boy and Growler of Roustabout to Pizza Port tonight and having them pour them blind.
    nanobrew and ehammond1 like this.
  4. evilc

evilc Member

Poor Mans filling right now? nom
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I was specifically bugging them to do that, I can't help but wonder if my pestering helped cause this announcement. I definitely want to see something written before I buy a Brauler and bring it and some blank sticky labels to RR...
  6. besaunders

besaunders Member

Does the Poor Man's need to be obtained in Carlsbad, or are they guesting it at any of the other Pizza Port's (for example, OB)?
  7. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

8. evilc

evilc Member

If this goes through I am buying 10 SS growlers and throwing the rest in the trash.
    domtronzero likes this.
  9. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Member

A week or two ago Westcoaster asked if people wanted to submit questions to the ABC director. ... I submitted the question about the growler laws and wanting 100% clarification.... I guess it made its way to him....but I'm sure it was not just me, lots want to know.

As for the breweries, I'm sure not all of them want to "hear the truth." The next thing they will say is we don't have stickers, or they just flatout refuse and say "that's our policy" or "we don't have concrete evidence its ok" or the catch all "we cant risk our license"....

Like you and others have said, a memo or ABC announcement is the only way this will ever work...hope we get one. Then we can really see who is trying to help with the problem and who is just trying to sell us endless glass.
    jamex likes this.
  10. besaunders

besaunders Member

11. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

It is on at OB right now, but not for growler fills. Probably need to go to the source (Carlsbad) for that.
    besaunders likes this.
  12. godrinkbeer671

godrinkbeer671 Member

Just had that a few days ago. Pretty nice double by them, but Pupil and Butcher are still my top from them. Curious about their sours they have been aging though?
    HopHead84 likes this.
  13. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

The lunch special with a Poor Man's is about the best damn lunch one could ask for.
    SUBER and ehammond1 like this.
  14. jwjon1

jwjon1 Member

Stainless steel growlers and 150 grit sandpaper (higher grit even better... just requires more elbow grease) go well together. With a power sander, you can clean up a growler in two minutes, and give it a really cool matte finish look that most breweries are proud to fill.. Makes the SS Societe growler worth the investment if you are cool turning it into a generic growler. I haven't been back to Societe since my own SS has been de-branded. so who knows if it will work there?
    ehammond1 likes this.
  15. jamex

jamex Member

Funny, many posts ago I meant that Roustabout wasn't as good as Societe's Everyman's, not PP's Poor Man's. My mistake. ;)
    ehammond1 likes this.
  16. OTB

OTB Member

Made my first trip into Societe today while in SD, great space. Bought a cool glass growler and had them fill it with Pupil, great stuff.

Cheers.....
  17. ManaKarma

ManaKarma Member

Pupil is becoming my go-to fill... haven't made it in since Roustabout though. Me thinks this weekend
  18. OTB

OTB Member

I can taste why !

Cheers....
  19. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

I'll be making a trip south to the San Diego area but staying at Pala Resort. We'll be at Pala a couple of nights. I'm finally going to visit Societe Brewing Co. Been wanting to go for the last several months. What else in the area is a MUST go to brewery/pub, etc? I have not been to the new Ballast Point since they opened a couple of years ago. And I know there are a lot of new brewery's in the San Diego area. I've been to Stone, Lost Abbey/Port, Green Flash, Iron Fist & Mother Earth. I'll be hitting up my usual spot Alpine on Tuesday. But I like to make another stop after visiting Alpine.
    I know O'Briens Pub is near Societe so I'll be stopping in there. But is there another new brewery or pub that is a MUST visit that I should check out? Thanks.
  20. Xul

Xul Member

You've got a few options:
    1) Alesmith would be an easy stop between Ballast Point Scripps Ranch and Societe, and they've got quite a few good things on in the tap room right now, aside from their year-round lineup. Vietnamese Coffee Speedway (comes and goes, but was on as of Friday afternoon) is fucking delicious, Decadence 2012, a few different small beers from the second runnings of their Grand Cru, Decadence, and...something else that's escaping me. If at all possible, I'd recommend Alesmith on a weekday rather than a weekend, far more relaxed.
    2) Pizza Port Ocean Beach isn't really in the same area as BP and Societe (about a 15 - 20 minute drive, depending on traffic), but they're churning out some delicious beers and also generally have some really good guest taps.
    3) None of these is a must visit, but Helms is right around the corner from Societe and Hess and Rough Draft are both in the general vicinity of Alesmith. If you want an easy stop, albeit with unremarkable beer, any of those would serve.

If you have time, I'd recommend both Alesmith and PP OB, but Alesmith will be the far more convenient of the two.
    dcgunman likes this.
  21. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Last time I was in the area I went to Rip Current in San Marcos. I was impressed and will go back there next time.
  22. besaunders

besaunders Member

23. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

Societe growler question: I know the prices for the SS and glass is $25 each. The glass looks like the usual 2L, but what is the size of the SS? 2L also? It looks smaller than a 2L. And if its smaller than the glass 2L do they charge the same price for the fill in the SS growler?
  24. evilc

evilc Member

Fills are the same price. The growler is marked 64oz, but probably holds around 67oz. It has less "extra" space than a 64oz screw cap growler.
  25. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Member

I believe the SS growler is 64 oz.
    dcgunman likes this.
  26. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Member

Anyone tried The Bachelor or The Madame yet?
  27. evilc

evilc Member

Did not like The Bachelor at all. Maybe I don't like Cascade hops by themselves!

The Madam reminded of RR D23.
    CoolEthan likes this.
  28. vurt

vurt Member

I'll throw in another vote for Rip Current. I preferred their beers to Societe, though I suspect I'm in the minority.
  29. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Member

i had the bachelor and thought it was very nice easy drinking
    also had the pupil and apprentice this weekend and batches of those were both awesome
    i think the single hop series will go over well and would be nice to try them side by side to get an idea of each variety of hops i hope they do one with new zealand hops would be good
  30. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

I'm headed there Friday. Maybe Helms first, but Societe by 8pm. I'll be wearing a Rip Current workshirt. If you see me, say hi.
  31. LegalBrew87

LegalBrew87 Member

I only had a taster of The Bachelor, but I thought it was really tasty.
  32. corby112

corby112 Member

I haven't been to the taproom yet but I had my first Societe beer, The Apprentice, at Churchill's last night. Lighter bodied than I expected but packed full of complex hop flavor. I could drink that stuff by the gallon. Very impressed so far and I'm looking forward to trying some of their other beers.
  33. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

If all goes as planned I should be there on Monday after a visit to O'Briens.
  34. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

I like that beer, but I rank it third of their 3 regular IPAs.

Pupil

Dandy
    Apprentice
    tyrsis and MacNCheese like this.
  35. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Member

I tried The Bachelor last night & I thought it was pretty meh. I also thought the same thing the first time I tried The Pupil & now it's basically heroin to me. For all I know the next batch might rock my world.
    OTB likes this.
  36. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

It's a 1st brew from a brewery <1yr old. Every new beer will probably require a bit of tweaking. The best part: each iteration seems to be getting better and better!
    OTB and Sebowski like this.
  37. danwho

danwho Member

I had The Bachelor at O'Brien's yesterday. It was good, for a single hop.
  38. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Member

I don't see anyone discussing The Butcher here but when I visited Societe for the first time about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I came in expecting to be impressed by the IPAs, and I was, but I was really surprised by how great The Butcher was considering how it's never been mentioned here. If they had allowed growler fills for that bad boy, I would have broken my growler-buying moratorium and bought one of those SS joints just to get a fill of it.
  39. 395er

395er Member

Had the Bachelor last Friday, the first day they tapped it. Smelled unreal, and I dug the taste. Still not equal to Pupil or Apprentice, but I'm sure that wasn't the intent.
  40. riko

riko Member

This. It's not a great beer as SD IPAs go, but it's solid as single-hop beers go.
    395er likes this.