1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Solutions for trading during the winter months?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JoRado, Jan 31, 2013.

1. JoRado

JoRado Savant (275) Minnesota Oct 26, 2010

I live in the midwest and want to do some more trades, but I have one problem... It gets into the below zero temperature here. Has anyone figured out a solution to keep beer from freezing whether you're the reciever or the sender?

Or is the solution to just sit back and wait for the warmer temperatures?
  2. Just put it in a styrofoam cooler. That will regulate the temp at least until you get home at night..
  3. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Has anyone ever actually had a traded beer freeze en route? I've never heard of it. I think with all the insulation (ie packing material) and the fact that beer needs to be well below 32F to actually freeze it wouldn't be a problem unless you leave it sitting outside for quite some time.
    FTowne likes this.
  4. I heard last week that Dos Equis freezes at 27.8 degrees. with that being said, all of our high abv beers will need much lower temperatures and a longer duration of time. If you are truly worried, run to sport chalet and buy some disposable hand and foot warmers. crunch those things up to activate and pack them in with your insulated package. Instant go go gadget heat box for those bottles!
  5. JoRado

I like that idea. I may just hold off a couple weeks. High for today is 3 degrees with it getting down to -13 degrees tonight. It's supposed to be a little warmer next week. I'm more worried about it sitting on a truck overnight (I believe UPS sometimes loads their trucks up at night and delivers the next day).
  6. for one, I instantly feel horrible for complaining when it is in the mid 30's when I am going to work in the morning. Or when it is 55 during the day and I complain that it isn't in the 60's or 70's haha.

I have heard that FedEx is usually a bit better, but to be honest, I dont trust either of them when it comes to how careful they are with overnight storage and such.

I did hear that those warmers, and a styro shipper will equalize the internal temperature very well. I haven't needed to go that route yet.... but I am sure someday I will.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Spoken like a true Californian. :D

I've only had one bottle executed by the cold, & it was a low ABV bomber sent during an unexpected cold snap. Have had a couple slushies, & they were fine when warmed up very slowly in the fridge.

It's going to be -15 in Minneapolis/St. Paul tonight. Hopefully nobody has any packages en route (or outgoing).

To the OP, the only real solution is to watch the temperature. I've put off a couple trades for a few weeks & hope to ship/have them shipped to me this coming Monday. Consistent lows in the 20s should be fine, & it's about the best you can hope for in the middle of Siberia.
  8. orrrrrr you could just re-route said packages to my door step. I will gladly hold on to them until the cold snap ends. but i can't promise the exact bottle count when I need to ship them to the final destination... just a thought!
  9. JoRado

Haha yeah, I'm in the Twin Cities, but honestly once it goes below 0 degrees, it pretty much all feels the same. You get used to it.

Yeah I'm glad I haven't sent anything out yet, may have to bust out a Mephistopheles just to get the blood pumping tonight :)
  10. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

You could always:

A) Drink the good local selection that you get in Minnesota (isn't Abrasive about to be released???), or

B) Move.
  11. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Freeze the bottles before you ship them, that way you know whether or not it will leak en route.
    xnicknj, ncaudle, DrinKing and 6 others like this.
  12. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I just posted my results with a very-cold-weather trade recently. The box was sitting by the door at something like 4 degrees when I got home, nothing frozen but a couple starting to get slushy. Not recommended, but not a disaster if it happens.

That same week I had 4 traders hold boxes for a week until temps warmed to the 20's/30's.
  13. Yes, I've gotten a ton of them that freeze in transit, and a few that have arrived to me frozen. In fact, I just received a frozen can in the last two weeks...

The things is, people usually don't know when beer froze in transit, because it tends to thaw out during the day as it warms up on a moving delivery truck during the warmer daytime. There's an easy way to tell when you open it though, because there are usually dry beer crusties under the cap on the rim of the bottle from a beer that froze. I bet if people in cold-weather area trades started to look for this, they'd be seeing that many of their bottles are freezing in transit.

Freezing itself is rather harmless for the beer, though I just wouldn't take my chances on aging something that had frozen. The issue is with freezing comes an increased likelihood of bottle breaking. We've already seen a few "I thought I packed well but had a bottle break on me" posts this winter - more than likely those were bottles that frozen, exploded, thawed, and leaked everywhere.

I fully realize that most people don't seem to give a shit about freezing anymore. Hell, there's even a noob BIF running right now with a mid-winter shipping date. (that should have some fun results) But freezing is a very real thing in the winter.
    yeahnatenelson likes this.
  14. Absolutely. The upper midwest and northeast get VERY cold late January into February. A few years ago I had a can of Ten Fidy freeze in my box.
  15. OP: stick to in-person trades until the weather gets warmer, like in March.
  16. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Agreed. It's a brisk 72 degrees here today.:eek:

:D
  17. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Yup, us TX guys can trade all year long. Send it all this way! :p
  18. :(((((((((((((

19. I have to disagree. I work outside year round in the cities... Big difference between zero and -15. I hate my life in the winter
  20. It's been -18 here in Truckee this winter and yes beer packed in a box with the bottles wrapped in bubble wrap will freeze in very short order. The secret is not to forget you left something in your car. If shipping UPS or FedEx Ground you need a five day forecast and then plot the forecast along what you will assume carriers trailer is. Many times trailers will sit at a hub over the weekend if your box is loaded on a trailer that is sitting in sub zero temps yep frozen...

My 'remedy' put off shipping when it gets 20*F or lower on the potential route the box takes. If there is a rush and the box needs to move I will use a styrofoam lined with that 'thin silver reflective barrier' that acts as sort of a blanket...
    hooliganlife likes this.
  21. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Just wait?

Ask yourself if you really reaLLY REALLY NEED to get that flavor of the month beer RIGHT NOW?!? The answer will 99.9% of the time be, "No, I can't wait a month or two till it gets warmer".
  22. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Multiple times. PTE popsicles ftl.
  23. While you were recommending this likely in jest, those hand warmers are good for 6 hours max. Depending on drop off/pick up times, they'd wear out before ever seeing a truck's rear end.
  24. I actually was partially serious in the recomendation to be honest. You bring up a point I didn't mention though. You would need to plan your timing. Drop it off at the location right before a truck picks up the ready packages. It would do more for cold to cold locations, or cold to warm... not so much for warm to cold. Unless you ship overnight. Those things can last, even a tiny bit of warmth and not maxed out, for close to 12 hours. Maybe not 55 degrees. but not 5 degrees either ya know? regardless, I am assuming the best option is to wait for a warm week.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  25. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

A small, battery-operated device that keeps the bottles under constant vibration may allow you to ship in weather a few degrees colder than usual.
  26. that wont freak the carrier out at all. constant vibrations? Small battery powered divice? packaged with a label saying olive oil? the red flags just keep getting thrown up haha. Although I do think you are right!
  27. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

I searched the internet and found these vibrating rings. I think you could slip them onto the bottles you wanted to make sure they didn't freeze.

[​IMG]
  28. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Hahahha what the.....
    FTowne and ehammond1 like this.
  29. hahah amazinggggg
  30. Yes, a few times
  31. Really guys? A truck traveling across the country is not insulated, so for days at a time it could be subject to well below freezing. It's going to freeze. UPS puts trailers on train cars, say they travel from Washington state to TN, lots of cold air. It's all relative to where the beer is traveling.