1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Some San Antonio knowledge?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by fsvan, Mar 29, 2013.

1. fsvan

fsvan Savant (275) Tennessee Feb 7, 2009

Hey all,
    I'm gonna be in San Antonio for work and will be at/near the convention center. I have two questions, 1) Are there any decent bottle shops within walking or short cab distance? I won't have a ton of free time, so the closer the better. And 2) Any idea about how much it'll cost to catch a cab to Freetail?

Thanks!

2. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Cab to Freetail, my guess is $30 one way. I think you can go to yellow cabs website and use the fee estimator.

3. ChanceK

No bottle shops come to mind, but if you're looking for a quick drink, The Friendly Spot is my favorite downtown bar. Good selection, cool atmosphere.

4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (585) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Do NOT take a cab to Freetail. You can get anywhere in the city by bus, especially if you're starting from downtown. The 97 Bus (The Rim, not University Heights) will take you within a 5-minute walk of Freetail.

I don't know of any good retailers in the downtown area. Closest one I can think of is Central Market on Broadway. Again, you can get there by bus if need be. If you're looking for good watering holes, I'd recommend the Friendly Spot and the Filling Station. Both are pretty close to downtown. But definitely make the trip to Freetail if you can.

Here's a link to the VIA bus service website. They have a route map and schedules there. I know that traveling by city bus can be time consuming (good lord, do I know), but it's much cheaper than taking a cab. Cab fares to the Filling Station and Friendly Spot should be reasonable though.

Also, depending on what your schedule is while you're here, I may be able to help you out with transportation. I work near Central Market, and a trip downtown from there is no biggie.

texasclimber and East1stgrocery like this.
  5. ChanceK

pwsoldier might know better than me, but Big Hops growler station just opened, they might have some good bottles, I haven't been yet but I think their Facebook page said they were getting a bottle selection. It is further away than the Central Market he mentioned but not by much.

pwsoldier likes this.
  6. pwsoldier

As much as I love to promote the store, Central Market would be a better place to shop for bottles, though I think we may be getting a beer today that they won't receive (Brooklyn Silver Anniversary). If you want a growler to drink in the hotel though, we have a great selection of TX beers on draft.

7. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Take a cab to freetail and then expense it!

jamescain likes this.
  8. fsvan

Thanks for all the help, guys. I will be fairly busy and with people with no beer interest at all, so the situation is not great to hit up the beer spots.

How long do you think it'll take to catch the bus down to Freetail? Between wait and drive time?

9. pwsoldier

About an hour each way, versus a 20-30 minute cab ride (depending on traffic).

10. A bus to freetail would probably be about 1 hour. I used to ride the bus A LOT but its been a couple years since then and things may have changed but not by much.

11. fsvan

Thanks again for the tips, guys. Will probably miss Freetail, unfortunately. One more question, can anyone give me a brief rundown of breweries that will have bottles at Central Market that may not make it to Tennessee? Jester King?

12. ChanceK

Jester king
    St Arnold
    Real ale
    Southern star (cans)

These are my favorite brewers.

fsvan likes this.
  13. ChanceK

One other would be Ranger Creek, it's brewed here in San Antonio. You can probably find their small batch 4 and 5 right now along with their normal stuff.

14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Yeah, Ranger Creek makes some fantastic sours.

Clonies720 likes this.
  15. fsvan

While we're at it, anything in particular from any of those Texas breweries that is out at the moment that is must get?

16. ChanceK

You might get lucky and stumble upon some St Arnold Divine Reserve 13, but it's already getting pretty scarce.

17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

St Arnold Endeavour and Ranger Creek Small Batch 5 (BA Doppelbock, not sour).

18. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Yet.....

jl28r1 and starkmarvelo like this.