1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Somewhat new to the craft beer community. Any tips/pointers?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by coffeeguy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

Hey everyone! I'm happy to say that in the last year or so craft beer/home brewing has become a bit of a obsession for me. Most recently I've gotten into cellaring/collecting and I was hoping for some input on some great beers cellar/collect for vertical tastings and such, or just any great beers that I that are a must try! Here's a pic of my collection as of this week.

[​IMG]
  2. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

since this is my first post i fear it may have gotten buried. anyone have any input?
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Welcome- you are definitely off to a great start.

As to the pic, I'd pop the Double Bastard soon, but the rest definitely look cellarable. There is a cellaring forum where you can get more specific advice about what to age and for how long.

In general, I would supplement what you are doing now with some seasonal beers that are meant to be consumed fresh (i.e. Nugget Nectar, etc.).

Don't let it get you too crazy, and enjoy the ride.
  4. bctdi

bctdi Member

I like your choice in belgians... You have some winners there with Rochefort and Chimay. Orval makes a fine brew, as well as Westmalle... Their Tripel is the obvious choice, but try their Dubbel... It's really outstanding imo. La Trappe makes a fine quad , as well as St Bernardus. Kwak is a good one as well. All those belgians cellar real well. Then their are the saisons and belgian pales. Jolly pumpkin makes some great belgian styles with Brett.
  5. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Member

looks good. i would definitely drink that 120 fresh, maybe save one or two for aging. imo alot of beers don't get better with age.
  6. dmeadows

dmeadows Member

1. Listen to your palate and tastes.
    2. Don't believe the hype.
    3. Don't think of it as a collection.
    4. Enjoy!
  7. Absolut

Absolut Member

keep notes on what you like and dont like. there is about a year period where its sensory overload, and you'll quickly forget. after awhile it all sinks in. and, apologize to your bank account in advance.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Member

Apparently, you know more about Sam Calagione's beer than he does.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  9. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

A great thanks to everyone for their input! I purchased a lot 120 minute in hope that I could make some trades once I am able to post to the beer trading fourm on this site. I hear it's hard to come across for a lot of people :.(
  10. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Be prepared for the disappointment that those bottles of Chimay Blue will eventually bring. 750ml or no 750ml. But the Rocheforts should help you get over them.
  11. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

I tried one of the Chimay blues since posting this pic, and I was very disappointed, it tasted like fruity cardboard. I'm not sure if it was that fact that they were sitting on the top shelf under a florescent light for 6+ months at Binney's, or if that's just how the 750ml tastes, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I returned the two remaining bottles for 4 11.whatever fluid oz bottles hoping they will turn out better. If anything I'll find out what bad aged beer tastes like ;)
  12. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Hope things work out. Was once a big fan of Chimay but I can't help but feel the brewery has spent the last 20 plus years with their eyes no where near the ball.
  13. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Member

I new to this as well. I'll just pay attention to the advice you are receiving on here and enjoy the ride! You are off to a great start! Enjoy the Imperial Stout as it is one of my favorites.
  14. vthippie

vthippie Member

Experimenting with some Double Bastard right now, I've heard it's a mess around 12-18 months and then takes a turn for the better past the 2 year mark, we shall see. Breakfast stout is more of a fresh drinker for me, I'm big on coffee stouts and don't want that to diminish at all.
  15. davedorr9

davedorr9 Member

I agree with Dogfish - there are some beers that definitely do not improve with age. Pliny the Elder, for instance, actually tells you on the bottle to drink it early - do not hold on to it! The reason for this is fairly simple: intense hop tastes will usually fade with age. E.g., the recommendation to drink your 120 early. I agree with this.

There are a ton of characteristics that do get better with age, but I find beer a bit less of a science than wine. So, in my opinion, you should always try the beer first and cellar the remainder. This will help your experience immensely.