Somyoungai selling Surly Darkness vertical

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by brewseum, Feb 24, 2012.

1. brewseum

brewseum Savant (285) Minnesota Nov 11, 2004

Like Voldemort,I shall not utter the public online venue on which this is listed,lest I be smote by the stiff backhand of beer-retribution.Lets just say its out there.Currently.

With a single bottle of the 07 Darkness topping 5 benjamins recently,I've always wondered when someone might attempt to refill or recap,handbottle,adjust...whatever,a previously emptied bottle.This fact,combined with the not so distant and repeated postings of a "collector" wanting empty bottles for his Surly "collection" here in the Twin Cities (on another free online forum that rhymes with Eggs pissed) has me...well,wondering.

And we'll add to the questions.Why on earth,for any reason,would someone ever remove the wax if they weren't going to CONSUME your bottle? To check out the cap? To do a "beertease" on a fellow geek? (aw,lets crack this Adam,you are such a dear friend....NOT) If you were going to complete any (alleged,hypothetical) deception,wouldn't you do a rewax?

Your comments are welcome.Fill in the form below.

2. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Woah! That is oooooooone suspicious looking bottle! I don't know that I've ever seen a non-waxed 2007 Darkness. I certainly wouldn't shell upwards of $500 for it.

3. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

The least he could've done is melt a couple candles to dip it in!

tewaris likes this.
  4. shawnp

shawnp Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Suspicious looking for sure. I would never, even if I had the money, bid on what's offered there.

5. It looks exactly like the wax was removed for consumption.

DoctorRock likes this.
  6. Definitely suspicious looking. What surprises me even more is the fact that people have actually bid on it.

7. A few Ba's have said trade the '07 if you have one. Apparently peaking a couple years ago. Anyone confirm this?

8. Don't think I'd trust that one!

9. No Thanks Sketchy McSketcherton.

laymansbeerfan likes this.
  10. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Absolutely not! I don't have a bottle, but wouldn't trade one for anything if I did. We had a vertical before Darkness Day & the '07 was one of those rare beers that lived up to the distant memory: even now, easily one of the best stouts I've ever had. Still amazingly hoppy, even in its old age.

11. jjanega08

jjanega08 Savant (430) Minnesota Oct 9, 2008

That shit cray

seanpackage likes this.
  12. millah

millah Aficionado (150) Minnesota Nov 22, 2008

The top of the '08 looks suspect as well although I've no comparison...

13. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I pity the fool that wins that auction.

14. had it last Darkness day, was fantastic. Never had it before, but several BA's and I loved it.

15. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

I would strongly advise anyone against bidding on this auction. Having a bottle that's been sitting at fridge temps and having friends who still have their bottles either in a fridge or cellar temperature, I've not seen any wax problems. Wax doesn't simply fall off because of a "thin" coating. Very convenient that the cap area is the only place the wax is affected...

16. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I can see someone picking off the wax not realizing that they were going to sell it years later

17. doucmehu

doucmehu Savant (390) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

I don't know, it looks like it could be legit the way the wax perfectly meets up with the shape of the cap and the cracks. Plus he/she is willing to sell locally so if they are scamming they would be really pushing their luck.

Not that I am bidding...

18. I had something similar happen to a bottle of Gratitude, but it also has paper under the wax that got wet and swelled up. Still sketchy.

19. I have a 2007 bottle of Dark Lord where it's kinda the same thing though. Not all of the wax, but some has started to flake/break off. Not saying this guy is doing it right, but if it was a shitty combo of wax, it could become very brittle around the metal and just flake off.

20. bwiechmann

bwiechmann Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 30, 2009

I can't seem to find anything on this. Was it deleted?

21. Mista

Mista Aficionado (215) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

Looks like it closed at 460.55 + 20 shipping. Check the completed listings. Wonder if this thread had anything to do with it closing so low as '07 usually sells for more then $500 by itself...lol

22. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Skeeeetch.

I wonder what he refilled it with?

23. brewseum

brewseum Savant (285) Minnesota Nov 11, 2004

Samuel Adams triple bock aged in barrels of Deception?

24. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Went for way less than I thought. I just want an empty to replace the two I threw away long ago....Tried offering even up to $100 for an empty and no one bit on Craigslist!

25. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

100 bucks for an EMPTY? I had two and literally just threw them away last week. I do have a full one left, but im waiting until Dec. 2012 to drink, wont be much good after that according to those darn Mayans.

biniek13 likes this.
  26. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

bummer!