1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sorry, fast ammeture question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BigJoeC, Apr 2, 2012.

1. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Aficionado (145) New Jersey Jan 22, 2011

What is the coolest I should have my Ale wort to pitch my yeast? I have gotten it to 80 degrees after a long time with an immersion chiller but my newly made CFC is doing 60 degrees. I can adjust it by slowing down the water flow if necessary. GOing to do my first brew tomorrow with this CFC. Thanks guys.
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

depends on the yeast and the target fermentation temp. some yeast geeks will not pitch above the fermentation temp and want to be a bit lower. others want to be a few degrees higher to help the yeast get going. with a good starter the yeast will be able to get going at fermentation temp no problem.
    fermentation releases some heat too, so the wort will creep up on its own. if your wort is too cold, low 60s for ale, you are asking for trouble as the yeast will sit around until things warm up. other bugs will gladly take over if possible.

i prefer to be at fermentation temp. the time after initial pitching is when the yeast are most likely to cause off flavors and do strange things. make a good starter, aerate well and as long as you are within a few degrees of fermentation temp either way, it is not likely to be a problem.
  3. I'd rather it be cooler than warm up. This will increase your lag time slightly, but I tend to ferment around 64F most of the time, so 60F is a good starting point IMHO...
  4. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

I always just brew at room temp which is in the 70s for me. since I'm in Fl its pretty hot out so my house is in the mid 70s. I just pitch the yeast as soon as I get the wort below 80. Hasn't failed me yet.