1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sosus, PseudoSue, and Assassin

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by sukwonee, Jul 30, 2014.

1. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Hi guys,

I am just getting back into the "beer scene" and while I was gone, there appear to be some new breweries that started blowing up. One of these is TG of course!

I am wondering the following - thank you in advance for helping out!

1. How often do Sosus and PseudoSue get bottled? If I put out an ISO now, will I be able to land somewhat fresh bottles?

2. How difficult is it to trade for these bottles? I am familiar with "KBS" - so using KBS as a unit, how many KBS would it take to land each of these (Sosus, PseudoSue, and Assassin)?

Thanks again!

Joe

2. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

welcome back, I know the feeling. imagine disappearing from the scene from 2009-2012. I was like, uhhh wtf?

anyway, TG is a sick brewery, good choice on your part. that being said, their hoppy stuff isn't terribly hard to find, their stouts? that's another story

1. SOSUS is bottled every now & again it seems...I don't believe you're going to find fresh SOSUS around, it's been at least 2 months. PseudoSue is bottled fairly regularly though, you should be able to find that with ease. Assassin is an annual release, was brewery-only (case limit), and this year is going to distro so basically forget about seeing a bottle lol

2. KBS is an odd multiplier to use, because some people (like we here in NJ) have to drive all over the friggin' state to buy singles at $8/bottle. but folks in Michigan can buy 4-pks out the wazoo for $21. but for the sake of argument, let's call KBS a $6 bottle of beer

SOSUS : KBS = 1:1+ (maybe 2?)
    PseudoSue : KBS = 1:1
    Assassin : KBS = 1:1 billion (since that would never ever happen)

hope that helps in some way

mythaeus likes this.
  3. HawkeyePA

HawkeyePA Aficionado (240) Iowa Jan 7, 2014

Sosus is actually being brewed right now. So we should see it in a couple weeks I would imagine. Everything else that was said above is true, although I'd feel weird trading Sue for KBS.

JavaNoire likes this.
  4. sukwonee

@markgugs @HawkeyePA - Thank you guys.

I have been drinking beer (good beer in fact) but I was out of the "trading" and "seeking beer I can't get" game for about a year now. I thought I was cured but I was wrong lol.

I will wait and try to trade for both Sosus and PseudoSue when Sosus gets released. Assassin - probably will not happen for me for awhile it seems :(

Cheers

Joe

markgugs likes this.
  5. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I've combo'ed Sosus and Sue $4$ for big sours several times. Just do $4$ and you will be fine.

JavaNoire likes this.
  6. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

SOSUS is so friggin' awesome. Of course so is Pseudo...

@HawkeyePA any truth to the rumor that they're finally bottling King Sue sometime soon? OP, if that's true, THAT'S the one you wanna go get!

7. HawkeyePA

HawkeyePA Aficionado (240) Iowa Jan 7, 2014

@markgugs at this point all I know (which everyone knows) is that labels are approved. My guess is end of august but that is a complete shot in the dark.

markgugs likes this.
  8. sukwonee

:cool: looking forward to all three

9. Yohann

Yohann Aficionado (170) Wisconsin Apr 29, 2014

FWIW, I've done PseudoSue for KBS in the past, 3:5, which is $4$ for this area.

'Sue is definitely being made more often so it's much easier to trade for than it used to be, but each batch goes out to only a handful of shops and is usually gone within a couple of hours, so it's still a limited commodity. The big upside to TG's self-distribution and rapid sales of PseudoSue and Sosus is that every bottle is coming straight from the brewery so it's about as fresh as an IPA can possibly be.

mattafett likes this.
  10. patdunkel

patdunkel Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2014

I get Pseudo about every two weeks. I trade it all pretty much now. I've gotten parabola 1:1, Zhukov 1:1, Black Tuesday 1+:1' Huna 3:1.
    It's hard to get for most people. I agree that usually, I try to go $4$ on it, or include nice extras when I got the better end of the $4$ deal.

11. core42

core42 Savant (495) Michigan May 5, 2010

This was actually not true. Other than the two 4 pks that I got at Founders on release day it was not easy finding more & I live in Kalamazoo about an hour south of Founders. That bring said I don't have a mule system in place so maybe that's part of my issue

I do agree however that KBS is an odd multiplier.

OP - as has been said, getting Sue shouldn't be difficult at all since it's bottled often, Sosus shouldn't be too tough once it's bottled again & good luck trying to get Assassin or any TG stout for that matter

12. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aficionado (190) Iowa Apr 22, 2014

1:1 Sue for Parabola? Wow. I just went 3:1, 2 Sue and a Lightspeed for a Parabola this weekend, of which I felt decent about.

13. Yohann

Yohann Aficionado (170) Wisconsin Apr 29, 2014

FWIW, as someone who's gone through a semi-ridiculous amount of both PseudoSue and Parabola, I would put the $4$ ratio for PS-to-Parab pretty firmly at 2:1.

14. patdunkel

patdunkel Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2014

I agree, but the ratio is adjusted based on how much someone wants what you are offering. If both sides are happy, who cares? I do my best to even out these kinds of trades with extras to get the money right.

15. B-Nut-GoBlue

B-Nut-GoBlue Aficionado (190) Iowa Apr 22, 2014

Yea, I didn't mean to across as offensive in anyway, by the way, by mentioning my recent ratio. Again, when everyone's happy, it's all that matters (especially when extras/generosities get thrown in).