1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sought after holiday releases

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Dolfan907, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Dolfan907

Dolfan907 Savant (325) Louisiana Oct 2, 2012

Ok so i'm very new to the beer community (as of the middle of september, started drinking things other than corona). anyway, i luckily found out about Saint Arnold Pumpkinator just in time that i was able to snatch one.

My question is are there any other holiday releases that are regarded highly that i should prepare for/ keep an eye out for? I am in Baton Rouge, LA if that helps you narrow down your suggestions in any way

2. Nola seasonals

3. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

It wont be long before we'll start seeing Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale... that's a must buy...

4. Brent

Brent Advocate (565) Kentucky Mar 2, 2001

As well as Anchor's Our Special Ale. They tweak the recipie each year. Sometimes challenging, always interesting.

WassailWilly likes this.
  5. Add southern tiers Krampus to this...I was pretty upset when I couldn't find one last year. I saw it this past weekend but didnt pick one up. Might regret this in a month or two.

6. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Each of these are good suggestions. I would also recommend picking up the Samuel Adams Winter Classics. It really won't be long before we start seeing Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Sierra Nevada Narwhal is a solid imperial stout that was just released in this area.

7. Dolfan907

Dolfan907 Savant (325) Louisiana Oct 2, 2012

Awesome, thanks for all of the suggestions guys, looking forward to hearing more. i only really buy singles, so the above will only last me a day or two

8. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Get to the Cove and see what they are getting in.
    One hell of a selection there!

9. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Lagunitas SUCKS. Colorado missed out last year due to distro issues. Not this year, mon frere.

10. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

I've seen Krampus around as early as a month ago in a store near me. Is it an early release or are they leftover from last years batch? I've never had it. Worried it was old so I didn't buy it.

11. 806Polarbeer

806Polarbeer Disciple (70) Texas Oct 18, 2012

I second the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. we Just got it in and i picked up two four packs today. You probably can't buy it in singles but it is worth paying $8 bucks for the four-pack

12. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

For clarification (since the OP is relatively new): SUCKS is the name of the beer. Lagunitas does not, in fact, suck.

fredmugs, Advocate_Ames and JamesMN like this.
  13. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Man, that seems early to be seeing this beer! I ain't complaining though as I often find myself wishing I'd bought more around mid summer as its always gone from my fridge. I want to cellar this stuff but I just can't stay away from it!

14. That I do not know, Im sure it varies from place to place I was in NY last weekend and saw it so it could just be out early.

15. Celebration always
    Anchor OSA 2012
    Any Belgian Christmas Ale
    Any other Christmas/Winter I have never tried before

16. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

"Welcome to the party, pal."

Try everything.