1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Sour beer" gravity stuck at 1.009. can I bottle?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by chianski, May 29, 2012.

1. Last year around may I brewed a pale ale (og 1.055, FG 1.011 after two weeks) but started growing something weird after i put the dry hops in. I didn't wanted to trow it away so i trowed in some dregs from several sour beer (cuve de rene, cantillon, other i can't remember) and hope for the best. Because of several complications i wasn't able to move it from the primary with the dry hops for two month after I added the dregs.

A year later the beers tastes pretty good. Has a complex funkiness and a little tang plus a nice bitternes. I think it would make a great summer beer. The problem is the gravity seems to be stuck at 1.009 for the last 5 months. The beer was in my basement at the begging of winter (~55 F) and the I move it to the main floor like 3 month ago (~65 F). The gravity hasn't really change.

Any chance the amount of hops (26 IBU) and the initial dry hopping ( 1 oz each, citra and simcoe) is restrincting the grow of most of the bugs? should't have brett driven this beer much lower already?
    Can i just bottle this? or the bugs are going to wake up an I'll have bombs in my hands? just drink it fast? any ideas?

by the way, waiting another year is not an option as I might be moving faraway in December.

2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (310) Colorado May 31, 2011

Bottle it, then after it's conditioned store it cold. And drink it fast. Or, just drink it fast.

3. If the gravity hasn't changed in 5 months it probably isn't going anywhere.