1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour Beer in Raleigh Area

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by nas4atu, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys, sorry in advance for how vague this post is going to be, but if someone could help me narrow down at least what breweries might make this beer, I'd be incredibly happy. I blind tasted a beer for the Hops Fest that was supposedly a barrel aged sour beer. The waitress afterwards told me that the bottle had an incredible amount of tape on it, and all she could reveal when removing some of the tape was that it was from Raleigh and the brewery (or perhaps the name of the beer) started with a T. Again, sorry for the incredible vagueness, but any help is appreciated!

Cheers!
    Eric
  2. The only Raleigh beer that I can think of would be Natty Green's Barrel Aged Strong Ale. That beer did have a good amount of sourness to it.
  3. Verecund

Verecund Savant (315) Texas Aug 31, 2008

This is a complete shot in the dark, but Triangle Brewing just put a Sour Bourbon Barrel-Aged Double on tap, and I know they'll be at the Hops Fest (not sure if that beer is slated to make it, but I wouldn't be surprised).
  4. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

You had that yet? I haven't had anything from TBC lately, but this one intrigues me. The T would match up with this brewery, but they're in Durham, not Raleigh. Then again, to the rest of the country, they're the same place!
  5. Verecund

Verecund Savant (315) Texas Aug 31, 2008

I haven't, though I'd be curious to try it myself. I was just assuming that Raleigh meant triangle area, like you said. Have Roth or Lonerider brewed any sours?

My only other guess (and to echo McNuts above), which also doesn't fit the bill perfectly, is Natty Greene's. It looks like they have a raspberry brown at the Hops Fest, and I guess they have a Raleigh location.
  6. ewright

Natty Greene's opened a Raleigh location about 3 years ago and made the beer McNuts described. I don't know that Lonerider or Roth have made any sours, at least not any released to the public.
  7. Yea, sorry guys, Raleigh/Durham area is what I meant. The Triangle Brewing Sour Bourbon Barrel-Aged Double sounds about right. I am not a big fan of sours, but damn that one was delicious if that was it. Thanks for all your help guys! What do you guys think of that brew in particular? If that was the one, it got rated pretty highly by everyone at our table.
  8. ewright

Haven't had it, but I hope I can find some soon.
  9. I wish I could have tried that.

The only barrel aged sour I've heard of and tried from a brewery in Raleigh was the Big Boss's Hell's Bizz-ness (white oak barrel aged blend of 2 year old farmhouse ale cut with Belgian strong ale aged on cherries) which was at the rare and vintage fest in February. I hope some of these local sours get out past just making appearances at festivals.
  10. I hear Mystery Brewing is Planning to do some sours.
  11. That is great, thanks. I'll have to check out their brews if I see an opportunity. Erik and Mystery's beers all seem interesting, wondering if that chocolate breakfast stout is as sessionable as it sounds.
  12. I happened to stop into a bar at about the same time that Erik was there giving the owners some samples and slanging his kegs, so I met him and got to taste each (four, I think) of his regular lineup. There was the the blonde, the tripel, the "Carolina Dark Ale," and the breakfast stout. The Carolina Dark was an interesting idea...black IPA but brewed as an English IPA (hops & yeast). It was pretty unique, a lot going on with it...I'll have to hold out judgement until I can try a full glass. I will say that the breakfast stout was quite good...smooth, definitely drinkable, great chocolate and roasted malt up front. Looking forward to seeing more of his beers on tap soon.
  13. Email or ask Bobby. He probably knows.