1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour beer pairings?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by jayfro70, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jayfro70

jayfro70 Aficionado (135) Virginia Dec 30, 2011

My fiancee loves sour beers. I'm more of a stout/porter dude, but I'm looking for some suggestions for what foods pair well with sour beers.
  2. "Sour Beer," isn't really a style of beer, but there are styles that happen to be sour. So, what types of beers does your fiancee enjoy: Flemish Reds, Lambic, Berliner Weiss?

Flemish Reds: I've had great luck with not only red meat, but some interesting Chinese foods that exhibit an interplay between sweet and sour flavors. Braised meats work well here, as well and Triple Cream cheeses.

Berliner Weiss: Lighter salad stuff, lighter seafood (Ceviche comes to mind), Frito Misto ( lightly battered and fried mixed seafood) works really well with bubbly, light, tart beers.

Lambic: Gueze works classically with seafood, but I love pairing these with runny funky raw-milk cheeses.

Of course there are many other styles of beer that happen to be sour than just these. Just a sampling for your consideration.

Hope this helps!
  3. Let's revive this bad boy!

I'm looking for pairings for Bottleworks XII, Beauregarde, and Sour in the Rye with Kumquats in particular, but I'm interested in any interesting pairings people have done.

For the Sour in the Rye with Kumquats, I was thinking of pairing it with a salad containing arugula, triple creme, walnuts, kumquats, and a vinaigrette using a bit of the beer.
  4. One of my all-time favorite pairings is Hop Leaf's CBJ (cashew butter, raclette cheese, and fig jam) sandwich paired with Cuvee des Jacobins. The sour cutting the richness is awesome. I could see doing Beauregarde in the same vein since it's supposed to be very sour. It'd be great with the fig but you could also swap out and use blueberry jam to pair that flavor as well.

I like the idea of the sour in the rye as a dressing and the pairing. I'd lean the dressing more on the oil side though so that you don't have over the top acid as you have both at the same time. Also, I'd shave the kumquats super thin so they aren't the huge flavor.
  5. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

For lambics or other wild ales I tend to really like shell fish. Either oysters or Mussels I have found to work really well. Oysters and Mussels are both light and delicate so they really let the nuances of the beer shine.
  6. matt_6

matt_6 Aficionado (145) New York Jul 23, 2013

Hard sear on the kumquats. The caramelized sugars would bring some of the "ryeness" out. The texture of triple creme wpuld be perfect.
  7. Love lambics & geueze with rich, fatty foods like charcuterie, pate, and some cheeses. Also shellfish.
  8. riemster

riemster Advocate (545) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

I'm going to an infected/sour bottle share in October. Sounds like the majority of beer will be lambics/gueuzes since the bottle list as of now has over 35 bottles of Cantillon. I can't cook, so my options are limited. I think a meat/cheese plate is always a good option, but I was looking for something a little more interesting. Seafood is completely out of the question. Help! :confused:

What are some cheeses you recommend?

A charcuterie board could be an option. What meats/cheeses?
  9. I like all the above ideas on braised dishes and seafood, but if you have a party/tasting, it's less practical than the charcuterie route. On cheeses, I like to do three-four options, picked from a few basic styles, probably something fresh and/or herby (like a soft goat cheese), something firmer and maybe nutty (like a gouda or a compte, or I imagine a cheddar works here), something ripe like a camembert, and something blue like a stilton. For meats, it's more like a four-square matrix: cured vs. smoked on one axis, lean vs. ... less lean, let's say, on the other axis, then pick two or three. So it might be like a milanese-style salami, something like a bresaola and a smoked ham. (I realize I'm thinking of what's my grocery, so adjustments are always in order.) Some bread and pickles practically makes that a meal. Don't do what I sometimes do, though, and start opening beer and forget everything in the fridge until the last minute, and end up doling out cold cheese.
    riemster likes this.
  10. For cheeses + sours, stay away from very salty ones (salt, sour & lacto can clash) and go with the soft, washed-rinds (St. Paulin, Oka, Chimay, etc.) or very creamy ones (triple creme, brie, chevre, fromage blanc, mascarpone.) Almost any kind of charcuterie works, but again avoid salty ones like prosciutto. Any kind of liver pate is amazing with sours. Terrines, creton, and meat pates also wonderful. Dry-cured sausages great. Speck, bresaola, guancinale, loma are all very nice. The fattier ones are great with the acidity of a sour. Put out some dried sour cherries and a black currant (cassis) jam and you have a real feast! I can second the inclusion of tart pickled veggies of all sorts - although salty, their sourness dominates so no worries.
  11. I think geuze goes with almost everything. Except desserts maybe ;-)
  12. mskiddo

mskiddo Aficionado (180) New York Jul 24, 2013

Cheddar, blue cheeses, and cheve go really well with sours.
  13. A gourmet spread of antacids :)
    omgrr and kristougher like this.
  14. If the dessert has lemon curd as a component, you would be surprised how not true that statement is.
    Im actually going to be making some lemon curd filled eclairs topped with raspberry cream to pair with some frambois I found.
    belvedere86 likes this.
  15. yeah, I was thinking about more sweeter dessert but with lemon it should not be a problem I guess.
  16. I like to pair lambic with a bowl of ground beef. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think meat really needs any extra sauces or spices added to it. It's already meat flavored!