1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour BIF 6 Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by olympuszymurgus, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ok party people-

I'm currently sending out targets. Please participate in the H&H thread, and also feel free to use this for some coy trading so your target gets some kick ass bottles. Also, please throw a short description of you, what you like, and what you are all set on. What follows is my description.

Cantillion can do no wrong, except that weird ass mamouch. I'm all set on Classic Gueuze, unless you have some vintages. Sames goes for 3F Oude Gueuze. I'm a sucker for blueberries, apricots and all things Cascade, plus points for brews with lots of oak or lots of acid. The combination of cherries and bourbon is damn near magical, but I have plenty of Dissident. I'm largely set on RR and Bruery and normal JP stuff, but I'm a sucker for all the Grand Reserve stuff from JP.
  2. I'm a Bruery Reserve member. We get the normal RR sour lineup, as well as Cascade regulars, most Jolly Pumpkin. I'm not really a fan of super acidic sours (vinegar) like most sours from the Bruery or Jackie O's(sours).
    Here's my personal "tick" list...updated about a week or two ago, so fairly up to date. Please don't worry about trying to find me something I haven't had yet. I'm not opposed to having tasty sours more then once...like sours from Upright!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AnZX2GFf86fPdFVzaF9BTFdwRXU5elFvWXZDMnlsaFE
    Cheers!
  3. Sucker for sours, so this BIF is right up my alley. Wants, while some may seem outdated, are pretty much up to par. I F'in LOVE Loons... The older the better. I've got plenty of classic, but I would never turn it down. Same goes for 3F OG. Also pretty set on RR and Bruery sours, although my favorite beer of all time is Beatification. Really like to try different kinds of fruit in my sours, and that stuff going on up there in Maine is very intriguing..

AND MY FIRST HINT!

Target hasn't posted in this thread yet, and has a smaller wants list than I.
  4. oline73

oline73 Savant (485) Maryland Sep 18, 2009

I'm a Bruery Reserve member as well and I'm good on Jackie O's. I prefer lighter sours and would be very interested in anything I haven't (or have) tried from Cascade or Upland. Mostly I love trying anything new and interesting. I'm extremely excited for this BIF and I have run into my target in past BIFs.
  5. Boom! all targets out. Let the whale hunting begin.
  6. I have just recently gotten into sours. Some fellow drinking partners (BIF organizer, Shadesofgray (yes the book), and several others have gotten me in to them. AND I FUCKED UP AND GOT MY WIFE IN TO SOURS. So most of the beer I will receive will be shared with her.
    I am also a Bruery RS Member, I just put in a large Cascade order, and love loons. I have access to all of Jolly Pumpkin's regular lineup and have a nasty story of receiving a P5, so if you send me a P5, you will get to see the most interesting video on BA you have ever seen. Other than that, I am hard to shop for on shirts (XXXL) due to height. So other than that, send me good beer.
    My first clue: I have marveled at your avatar several times and giggle every time I see it. But I have no fucking clue about you or anyone with whom you've traded with. But I have already looked at your wants list and I can get half of them. Hell, we might need to set up a trade after the fact, or I send 12 bottles and you get me back after the BIF (screw your rules Joe)
  7. Ok guys, I have heard some rumbles of shipping more than 3 bottles.

Don't.

The purpose of the Sour 3 bottle BIF is to send a small, well chosen box of kick ass beers. Not to slay somebody with ounces. Be cool.

I'm a stick in the mud.

Also, I just looked at my targets wants. Fuck. I should have given myself an easy one.
  8. your not very threatening to me, I know you look like a garden gnome. I will send as many bottles as I want.
  9. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Copied from the other thread
    I like cantillon its my fav brewery and i like drie fonteinen gueuze. I have access to recent years locally of tilquin, and 3f oude/golden blend. Also set on Russian River, Bruery and Cascade sours. I dont typically enjoy soured stouts/porters and anything too vinegary. My wants are all whales i know so it may be hard to hit those. Fantasia, Uplands, other uprights and similar things interest me too. If you need any help on what i would and wouldnt like theres a few guys in here that could prob help and i can send my cellar list to someone if they want to see what i like or fill a gap etc.

To my target I have quite a few of your wants so Im hoping i pick the right ones.
  10. I'm really looking forward to this BIF. I remember watching it in the past and thinking "holy shit that is awesome" every time a box landed. And I love sours, so there is that too.

As for my likes, like most of you I love Cantillon. Oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of 3F other than the Armand's I've tried. I also like DeCam quite a bit. As for American Wilds, I've got quite a bunch of wants posted. Please excuse my douche wale wants. But for the most part, I'm good on Bruery sours, the regular cascades, regular jolly pumpkin and regular RR. I don't really care for soured stouts or porters. I'm sure I'm forgetting some additional info that would help but I trust this group to kill it.

My target has a very nice wants list that tells me they are very in to sours. I'm going to have to step my game up. They are in the same time zone I am in too.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I don't think I have ever met a sour I didn't like. My wants list may be tough for some, but don't feel afraid to surprise me. Have JP regular access, Upland access (obviously), have placed a few Cascade orders in my time, I am on a first name basis with etre and belgiuminabox so yeah I have loons and 3F but do not believe it is possible to have too many of either. Quite frankly I am most interested in what YOUR favorite sours are. I am now Bruery RS (finally) and have lots of friends that are so have had the majority of them, am also a fresh Crooked Stave RS guy as well and am ready to get my fuck on with them full time. Have been to a few Jackie O's releases and have a limited amount of their stuff as well. If it helps my 4 of my favorite sours off the top of my head are : Splinter Blue, Blauw, Lente and Fou Foune. Hopefully my target's wants are accurate because if so I am about to fuck them animal style.....I will respect the rules and only send 3 but suspect I will fuck them again in the near future. My wife attends events with me and is almost as big of sourhead as I am now, so she will likely be very interested the day this box arrives.

So come at me bro, I will grab my ankles and wait patiently.
  12. oh, yeah, I don't like soured stouts or porters as well.
  13. #friendswithbenefits
  14. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (350) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

See the first three posts above. Fourth it, minus blueberry crap. Joe and I don't see eye to eye there. Blame it on a mother in law that owns a blueberry farm. And who doesn't mind making me work when I visit on "vacation." Damn blueberries.

My favorite sours tend towards the "whiny" side. If it's wine barrel aged, chances are I'll love it. V009? That's the style I crave. Yup, I said it: V009 is a great beer. Blasphemy, I know. St. Lam? Great beer... Vigneron--even better as the wine barrel is more pronounced.

I also dig unique/creative sours. Le Terrior is a good example. Who knew dry hopped sours could be so good? Fortuna Roja? Crazy creative: a well made cactus sour is a thing of beauty.

And bring on the funk! Brett is a beautiful thing. Sure, I can dig clean sours, but love the primal nature of a stinky, Brett ridden spontaneous sour.

Buy really, I'm cool with almost whatever. Wales mean less and less to me with each passing day. If its well made, even if not well reviewed, I'll dig it. IMO, well made sours by definition cannot have noticable acetone or acetic acid characteristics... so no harsh, throat buring sour bombs, please.

Looking forward to this round! Let's have some fun!
  15. word! well said, except that blueberry stuff, seek therapy. But the rest, all I have to say is word.
  16. Remember Zima? Remember the imploding-face look they showed in commercials with the tagline "BITTER BEER FACE! UGH!"? I like sours that make my face do that. Beatification is probably my favorite sour to date specifically because it is so goddamn sour (that said, I have a bunch of Beatification, and would prefer to try new things [older batches excepted]). I also like tart fruit sours such as blackberry/raspberry. I have yet to meet a bottle from 3F/Cantillon I do not like. Anything involving grapes or a wine barrel is something I want in contact with my tastebuds. My wants list is up to date, but feel free to send other stuff if it's delicious/should be on my wants. Basically, send me a box you think is great. I'll think so too.

My target has yet to post in this thread, and assuming his wants list is accurate, I am going to fuck on him so hard his first grade teacher will hear about it. Seriously, I'm having a hard time deciding which 3 of his wants to hit.
  17. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Really gotten into sours with my Bruery RS membership and trip to GABF last year. New Crooked Stave member this year so like MordorMongo will be taking them dancing this year. Have only had tasting sips of a few loons (thanks Lobo and BIF leader) and would not complain to try more. Anything with cherries or apricots would be great, and open to trying anything. Favorite sours I have had: cascade apricot, crooked stave persica, cuvée de Tomme, Bruery Rueze. I also really like sour browns: consecration, Oude tart, rodenbach grand cru.

Now to get to work on compiling a box. My target has pretty up to date wants and has not been in a BIF with me before.
  18. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Loving the sours! I am a Bruery RS member and I have access to all the regular RR and JP sours as well as the normal Cascades. Really like Cherry, Blueberry, Apricot, or for that matter any sour fruits. Love 'Loons, Cpt Lawrence and Cascade. As for the want list, it is a wish list, like most of us..

Not really into the Flanders, Farmhouse, or Saisons. And like Lobo, not so into soured Porters or Stouts.

As for my target, I got a couple of wants already and one of them is a bit "loony"

Typing from the IPad. I think my target has an iPad based on where he is from
  19. Hello. My name is Steve and my favorite color is clear. This is simultaneously my first BIF (with Deuces are Wild and Gang Bang) and I'm super stoked to join such an awesome group of BAers. I have ready access to all RR, Bruery, and most Cascades. I love the 'loons and definitely favor the fruited sours, especially apricot, peach, and fresh berries. I have never tried any of the Veritas series (though not expressed on my wants) or anything from DeCam and have loved all of the Upright Sole Comps that I've had the privilege of trying. Even though I've lived in the Bay Area for 6+ years, I've yet to try Cable Car. :) My motto is the more puckering the sour, the better. While I don't have homebrew to send, my target will likely be receiving a jar of Motherfunker pickles if I've got any left.

My target has a very expansive list of sour wants so my biggest problem is going to be deciding just what to send. Will definitely be getting a little 'loony for sure.
  20. My name is Lord Helmet, aka Mike. I don't play with dolls. I am a Bruery Reserve Society member and Crooked Stave member, is that too many members for one guy? RR sours are plentiful here and I have been lucky to keep up with Cascade. I just wish they bottled or growlered everything they tapped. My untappd page is https://untappd.com/user/mikereaser/beers to give you an idea of my last 2 years or so.
    My target has some wants that I have sitting in the cellar, just need to decide if they're the right choices or not. Let's just hope shit doesn't freeze on the long ride these bottles will be taking.
  21. Really excited for this BIF! Seems like a common theme but I'm also a Bruery RS member. Like most I love the Belgian gueuzes from Cantillon and 3F. I'm a sucker for anything peach or apricot and generally like most fruit sours. Even though they're not in my area, I've been able to get a lot of Cascade and the regular RR sours lately. Not really into sour stouts and porters. My wants should be pretty up to date (like others contain a lot of wish list items) and my profile has some of the bigger wants to give an idea of some kinds of things I like. Can't wait to send out a killer box to my target, cheers!
  22. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Hey dudes - name is Andy. I have access to most midwest stuff and also have a bunch of buddies that are RS members so also have access to most of the Bruery's stuff. I have a great CA trading partner so I get a lot of the Russian River offerings as well. I really enjoy fruited stuff and like most above me, not really into soured or fruited stouts or porters. I'm all set on Cantillon and 3G Gueze but would love other offerings from both. I LOVE Cascade stuff but don't have any. If you send me a box you'd love to get, I'll love it. Just put some thought into it and I'll hump your leg.

Cheers!!

Oh - and to my Target (who hasn't posted in this thread) - I have your bottles all picked out already and as soon as the weather looks decent (from MN - West) I'm sending the bottles. So...I guess I'm shipping early :)
  23. I'm looking forward to seeing what my target posts in this thread. I'm all over the place with their box. I can definitely hit a want from a top brewery that they've never "had." I'm also thinking about another brewery only release from a brewery whose sours they seem to really like. And the third bottle might be me sending something I love that doesn't seem to be on their radar.

Whenever I do decide on a box, it will be heading North.
  24. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Hi everybody! (Hi, Mr. Kevin!) If you get the reference, we are already friends.

Beers. Hmm. Cantillon is probably my favorite brewery, but unless you are going to go above and beyond (which you shouldn't), don't bother with the common, recent releases. I would be wanting something like a 50N4E or something not Crianza on the archived list. Also, no need to send me any other Belgian regular lambics (De Cam, 3F, etc.) unless you are trying to win the best trader and send me a bottle of Rose, Blauw, or A&T. I'm not saying that to be snotty, I can just drive and get most of those.

What I'm really looking for are great American releases. They are challenging for me to get at the moment. I just updated my list with all sours that I don't have and would like to try, but feel free to send something that I might like. My favorite flavor is cherry but there aren't too many flavors I've had that I dislike. Hope that gives my sender a starting point.
  25. Excited for my third round in this BIF. Sounding like a broken record here: Bruery RS member from the beginning. Access to all RR, Lost Abbey and Cascade mail order offerings (would love pub only offerings). I also have a great trading partner that is a Crooked Stave member. I prefer fruit in my sours with peach, cherry and raspberry being my favorites. Looking for 'loons, upland, maine, captain lawrance, etc... mostly breweries located east of the rockies. I dig long sleeve t-shirts in XL and nice glassware if you are looking to throw a little something extra in.

My target:
    I could easily put together a 12 bottle shipper full of your wants list, however none of them would be on your main page "most wanted" list. My target has not posted in this thread yet. The box when assembled will be traveling to the other coast.

Cheers
  26. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Hint: I'll start lamesauce, post better later. My target is to the east, >1 time zone. Woo that's basically everyone! Also, I looked through his wants and could hit like 15 with just my cellar. I love BIFs with no shopping required.

For my sender: I tend to not like dark sours/sour stouts, but my girlfriend likes them more so they're in play. I mostly ask to send either something new or something that I like, and to that end I exported my Untappd history and made a spreadsheet so it's not stupid hard to sort through (here).
  27. huadog

huadog Savant (340) California May 13, 2009

Like most of the above posts - RS Member, have Cascade & RR, dislike sour stouts, love loons (except mamouche). My wants list is up-to-date, in other BIFs may be considered tough, and I'm sure there is stuff on there that I would love to have that just hasn't been added for a number of reasons. I trust my sender to send a kick ass box. My untappd profile is on my BA profile and it's not too bad to sort when you do it by brewery :)

I should be able to put a nice box of wants together for my target - thanks for being specific in your profile and wants list!
  28. Just learned something interesting... On (or around) Feb. 5th, I will have something in common with my target.
  29. Broken record here. Love 'loons, get Russian river, cascade, jolly pumpkin, and bruery stuff pretty easily. Love fruits, especially blueberries, peaches and apricots. My wants are pretty up to date. Can't get enough upright! Have loved the few upland lambics I've tried. Love hill farmstead, would really like to try Ann, Biere de Norma, or juicy.

Hint: I've been in bif's with my target before but never sent or recieved from them. They should update their wants if they know hats best for them. My target will be receiving a special one off from everybody's favorite brewery (although I hear it is in barrels again now)
  30. Also don't like sour stouts. Would love to try more allagash coolships.
  31. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I updated my wants and gots to try to make it a little easier on my shipper... I also am an RS member, so unless it's on my wants, skip any RS beers!
  32. I love the combination of beer and wine, and have been studying enology and viticulture for the past couple years, so if it was hanging out in a wine barrel, especially a Pinot barrel, I'll probably love it!

Like many of the posters above, Cantillon is my favorite, especially Fou Foune, St Lamvinus, Vigneronne, the Lou Pepes, and Gueuzes with some age.

I live in the backyard of Russian River, but would always enjoy any older offerings not from the past 2 years, especially 750s of Temptation, Sanctification, and Beatification or the older Temptation and Supplication bottles! I'm all set on any of the west coast sours for the most part, except I've still yet to try any of the Veritas, DDG, or Izzy.

Where I'm really hoping to try some new things are any of the coolships from Allagash, Captain Lawrence, Ithaca, Upland, Hill Farmstead, Upright or on the very unlikely chance, anything from Funky Buddha!

Some of my favorite beers this past year that I tried in no particular order include: Cable Car, Cable Car Kriek, St. Lamvinus, Fou Foune, the Lou Pepes, Brute, Beatification batch 2-5, Sanctification batch 003, most of the earlier Temptation and Supplication, Compunction, Funky Buddha's Berlinerweisses, T20, T25, 3F Armand series, 09 Cuvee de Tomme, Fantasia, Rosso e Marrone, and a bunch more, but many of these ones I had multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed! Let's just say, please don't send me a bottle of Beatification 01/10/12.

Just to give my target a heads up, you will probably be getting some of my favorite beers from the past year unless you are really looking for something different! I have 7 of your wants that would fit this BIF and look forward to figuring out which ones work best. I might even have to throw in a should be want that you haven't put up yet! You have visited my favorite brewpub before.
  33. Wow, where to start? I am a virgin to all of this so give my marashino the old college try. My wants are a bit suspect.

I am a Bruery RS member for a couple of years, Crooked Stave also. I too get whatever Cascade sells on-line. Was in Brussels a couple of months ago and am in pretty good shape with the loons (a 2010 Fou Foune would complete my 5 year vertical). I have most Uplands in the cellar except Sour Reserves (are they any good)? 3F geuzues always a hit at this house, older De Cam Geuzes rock. I have plenty of the usual RR tart-boys in 375 & 750 formats, non of the Toronado stuff.

We just killed some of my whales because some asshole said the world was ending and I did not want to miss out on these: Millenium Geuzue, a couple of Armands seasons, a Blauw, the Plum Tilquin just to name a few. While I was in Europe had a Framboos, some vintage 3F Gueuzes and all the loons on tap.

Love oddball sours, good ones, just not on the BA most wanted list, things like the AC Golden, Block 15, Upright, Logsdon and all of the others off the beaten path.

I am no help to whoever gets me as I don't have a cellar list, I have a decent cellar, just no list. Not really picky, I just like good sours. I trust ya.

Now a question, since a lot of these gems are 750's, can I substitute (2)375s with out getting blasted?

My target looks tough, but I'm planning giving it my best
  34. MordorMongo

I should say my target is possibly male, may have posted in this thread (or may not have) and I am pretty sure I haven't fucked on them before. They live somewhere I have been and in fact live one town over from my aunt and uncle whom I visited fairly recently. Now them's some serious hints y'all. ;)
  35. MordorMongo

I should also add my box will likely be going out pretty soon to hope for a decent weather window.
  36. Out of all of my wants, none of those breweries are located in the state where my target lives.
  37. Howdy all. My name is Will and I love the sour. Being a new dad to a seven month old, the last sixteen months I have been out of the loop of beer, hence my wants list being slightly out of date (my apologies to my sender). I really don't know what's new and exciting these days. The wants I do have are most likely out of reach and I completely understand. They are my dream beers and I'm sure there are many I have missed that I would like to try. As far as what I like, I will try to keep this simple. Before my wife got pregnant, I sought out to try as many new beers as possible. Once the sour bug struck, I tried everything I could trade for or find on shelves in NJ, PA or NY. I've tried all the main RR sours. Same with LA, the Bruery, a few Cascade, most local release sours from around here (CL and Weyerbacher come to mind), a couple Upland (cherry and strawberry), most shelf Loons and 3F (and a few harder to get ones as well), and a multitude of bottles in between. Ideally I want to try something new and interesting. I'm not really big on vinegary sours or sour stouts/porters. I love gueuzes and lambics. Beat and Sanctification were great. I hope this helps.

As far as my target, while my cellar isn't as deep as many, I've already hit two wants. I'm working on a third as we speak.
  38. Hint number 2, only because the weather looks good next week and I'm pulling all beers from the cellar. Hopefully hitting a "top want" for this Guy/Girl (are there any girls in this one?) who lives in a city I visited for my 27th Birthday.
  39. Hint the second: my target still has not posted in this thread (hoping he does before I put his box together), and based on some low-level research I get the impression that this person has been drinking a lot of wales over the past month or so.
  40. My targets state had a NBA franchise.