1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour Event

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by regularjohn, Feb 14, 2013.

1. There is gonna be a wild/sour tap take over at a pub not too far from me, i've tried my fair share at this point but i'm not that familiar with what they're tapping. i will admit i got a bit tedious with it, checking each one at a time reading reviews etc. but i'd rather get some quick feedback as to which ones i should most certainly try and others that i should avoid. whatcha think of this list?

-Trois Dames Winter Sour - 7% Switzerland - Sour ale brewed with lemons and oranges
    -Birrificio del Ducato My Blueberry Nightmare - 11% Italy - This is Ducato's imperial stout Verdi, it is added to oak barrels with blueberries and aged for 2 years
    -Bayerischer Bhnhof Leipzinger Gose - 4.6% Germany - 1000 year old recipe of barley and wheat is fermented with salt and coriander, and then lactic acid bacteria is added to the beer
    -Birra del Borgo Rubus - 5% Italy - Sour ale made with raspberries in the alps of Italy
    -Bellegems Bruin - 5.5% Beligum - Flemish Brown style is a blended 18 month old lambic
    -Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Beliner Weisse - 5% Germany - Open fermented and then adds yeast and lactic acid to the fermentation
    -BFM La Douze - 6.5% Switzerland - Brewed with wild yeast and Fluer de Sul(sea salt)
    -Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela - 5.9% Michigan - This is Jolly Pumpkin's pumpkin ale, brewed with cacao and spices, then is aged in oak to promote wild fermentation
    -Ithaca White Gold - 8% New York - Belgian Pale ale fermented with wild yeast. This beer is now discontinued and lets home it got nice and funky
    -St. Somewhere Caroline - 6.5% Florida - Saison brewed with they house funk yeast, also is aged on coffee beans
    -Carton Tippy Brew 58 - 4% Atlantic Highlands,NJ - Very limited American sour ale style with green apples added
  2. That's an interesting line up.
    dianimal likes this.
  3. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I haven't had any of them but would be glad to try all of them. Looks like an interesting lineup to me.
  4. it certainly is, i'm pretty intrigued by the sours from italy. while i've had beers from jolly pumpkin before (and they're quite good imo) and of course a handful of sours from belgium i'm wondering if anyone has tried the other ones mentioned. really curious about the 2nd one it sounds awesome, definitely gonna try that ! i'll also do my best to review everything i try
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

These are the few I've had experience with:
    Blueberry Nightmare - Awesome. Not super sour, big blueberry profile, and a huge beer! Really well balanced.
    Bayerischer Gose - Not too sour, more tart and dry. Very refreshing, and it seems the style is being revived.
    Fritz Briem - again not super sour, but well balanced and extremely drinkable.
    JP La Parcela - Wild funk more than sour. The pumpkin flavor is more "gourd" than pumpkin spice style...
    Ithaca - Do it.
    St. Somewhere - Again, like the JP, sour might not be the best descriptor. More farmhouse funk.

Enjoy if you go!
    TNasty1126 likes this.
  6. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

making your own discovery and surprise is half the fun! too much advanced homework detracts from the actual event. after yall are all done- compare notes with BA nation.
    TNasty1126, dianimal and regularjohn like this.
  7. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

Where is this place?
  8. it's at a place called coppermine pub in north jersey.

awesome ! sounds good !

good point man, i guess i checked them out of curiosity more than anything but i'll def try a bunch thanks for the feedback
  9. Let us know how it goes man! That way I know which one's to add to my want list!
    regularjohn likes this.
  10. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Definitely try the Blueberry Nightmare, it's a very unique beer. I liked the tartness mixed with the dark sweetness, and the chili hits you slowly as you drink it.

Fritz Breim 1809 is a nice lightly sour beer, very crisp and refreshing. The only reason I might see skipping it here is it's fairly widely available in bottle shops if you ever want to have it.

Lepzeiger gose is one to have if you've not had the style, I really enjoy it, the tart with the hint of saltiness make an oddly refreshing beer. Again, fairly easily obtained if you have higher priorities for this round.

JP La Parcela is excellent! A really great cold weather brew, very balanced and subtle, not going to knock you over with tartness or pumpkin flavors.

I would aim for the limited stuff (Ithaca, Carton) first. Carton makes a nice pale and rye, although I've not had anything super adventurous from them. The Bruin is also an excellent style of sour from the people who originated the style, although I haven't had that particular one. And finally, Birra Del borgo makes really great unique beers but I haven't had that particular one either.

Enjoy!
    regularjohn likes this.
  11. awesome ! definitely looking forward to the blueberry nightmare :D
  12. I would try white gold. I havent had it in a long time and totally forgot about it.
  13. When exactly is this event? It would be a little bit of a hike for me, but if it's on a night I don't have anything going on I might be able to make it out there. It certainly looks like a pretty awesome line-up!
    regularjohn likes this.
  14. it's on the 21st of this month

this is my favorite local pub, they always have awesome events and a great tap selection. come on out !

http://www.thecopperminepub.com/
    SadMachine likes this.
  15. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

fwiw, i hated my blueberry nightmare. i remember it being disgustingly sweet and i found it incredibly difficult to finish my 3oz pour at zwanze day.
    CityofBals and cmoody91 like this.
  16. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I'll say that i thought Trois Dames was very disappointing. Slightly sour and had the dreaded plastic notes...

Also i'd be really psyched to try the St Somewhere beer...that's a tiny brewery in Florida and the word about him is that his stuff is Gold.

La Parcela is pretty easy drinking and very nice but it won't blow you away
  17. Try everything.
    regularjohn likes this.
  18. Petcha

Petcha Savant (285) Minnesota Jul 30, 2012

Looks really interesting. Love La Parcela, my favorite JP.
  19. See you at the mine !
    Njstoutlover23 and regularjohn like this.
  20. yup this is tomorrow ! i'll post up everything i try, cheers !
  21. I am not a fan of Blueberry Nightmare and I love sours. To each his own...
  22. I would also try White Gold as I have NOT forgotten about that one.
  23. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Had Blueberry Nightmare at 2 places, with 2 different people. All felt it was very vinegar-ish, unpleasantly so. That's the only one of the bunch I wouldn't try....
    CityofBals likes this.
  24. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

DO NOT pay for Blueberry Nightmare. One of the worst wild beers I've had in my life. Heavy acetone + heavy roasted malt = disgusting.
    CityofBals likes this.
  25. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

MBN at Zwanze day was awful, will never purchase or drink again.
    Etan likes this.
  26. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

My Blueberry Nightmare is a fairly divisive brew. I think if you come at it expecting a sour like a Flemish Red or an American Wild, you will be very disappointed. But I thought of it as a stout with a hint of tart and a hint of sweet and loved it. Granted it was about a 6 oz pour, and that was more than enough, but I enjoyed it for being unique. I didn't find it overly acetoney. And I love sours in general, from very traditional Belgians to stuff like the Bruery and JP's more unique takes.
    regularjohn likes this.
  27. im pretty open minded when it comes to sours, i'll probably sample it before just buying it straight up. i usually like to sample 1-2 before getting one so i can really try as much as possible. plus with this many i don't think i'd be able to stand after drinking every single one ;)
  28. I enjoyed the blueberry nightmare. Favorite sour at the event