Sour/Gose

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by joeebbs, Mar 7, 2013.

1. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I can't seem to get into these styles. I had a Leipziger Gose and a Petrus Aged Ale before and both tasted like vomit to me. Too tart. I've had Supplication and Consecration before and liked them.

Perhaps I don't like the light colored sour stuff? If I'm going to have wine I normally have a red as I don't care for whites which to me seems to be the same thing that is going on for these sour styles.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Gose is different, for sure. The saltiness is just a bit foreign; a female friend once told me a gose she was drinking tasted like semen, so that's been kinda hard to get out of my head.

As for sours, Petrus Aged Pale is one of my favorite beers of all time, so I don't know what to tell you there. But I love sours on the tart side. If you like the darker ones, I guess stick to the darker ones - they're out there. Oud bruins, flanders, sour stouts, etc.

MisterGrizz likes this.
  3. If you don't like the super sour stuff, I would try a unblended aged lambic. It may be a fairly expensive way to get into the style but they definitely don't kick you in the mouth with sour like a gueuze will.

Anything Jolly Pumpkin as well, if you can get it in your area. All of their beers have a light sourness to them that can help get you used to the style.

4. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

BERLINER WEISSE!!!
    That's my all-time favorite style! SO good!
    Soured wheat bier!

The Professor Fritz Briem "Grodziskie"/Gr├Ątzer was also an AWESOME way to try out a soured wheat (that is smoked!).

I've only had maybe 2 or 3 Goses, and none were salted (which seemed to miss THE WHOLE POINT of the style if you ask me).

oldp0rt and terrapinfan88 like this.
  5. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

The color of the beer has to do with the grains or fruits used, not the souring bacteria/yeast. Both Supplication and Consecration are aged in wine barrels that have a decent amount of influence on the beers' flavor, so maybe you like the vinous aspect of those beers.

terrapinfan88 likes this.
  6. Gose is my beer-Gatorade in the summer!

7. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm not a fan either. I've never had a gose, but I've actually had a fair amount of sours. I've been to Crooked Stave in Denver, CO twice and I've sampled many of their beers. That's like the Mecca for sour-lovers. They all just taste...bad to me. Waaay too obnoxiously sour. I want to like them, which is why I keep trying new ones, but every time I think they're terrible. Not just "eh, not my thing," but a really strong "Ugh, how foul!" kind of reaction. The only one at Crooked Stave that I could have more than a sip of was one that tasted like a black cherry Warhead. But only because I thought it tasted like a Warhead candy, not because I actually liked it. You would have to pay me to drink it again.

I've had a few oud bruins and flanders and the like, and they're alright...certainly better. But I just don't like the sour profile in my beer that much.

redrocker likes this.
  8. It took me a while to get my palate up to sour standards, but I really enjoy everything along the funky range now. Just keep trying new sour/wilds and eventually you'll get to the point where you are like "oh shit, i like this"

as far as gose, its a really rare style and is very refreshing, so have one at the beach or on a hot day and it might hit you in a different way.

+1 to jolly pumpkin, good shit.

9. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

And a new urban dictionary slang term is born. "Gose Lover"

10. Try a Rayon Vert

Thickfreakness likes this.
  11. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Try a Bonnie the Rare
    [​IMG]
    Or a Choc Gose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers

mikecharley likes this.
  12. Adamdc

Adamdc Savant (275) Massachusetts Nov 18, 2007

If the Leipziger and the Petrus 'tasted like vomit' then maybe beer is not your thing. Just sayin'

RobertColianni and tolar111 like this.
  13. Call me crazy, Foreign, HOMER or not...Supplication and Beatification both are PERFECT beers. Consecration, while great, is over-rated.

14. The couple of sours I've had have been hit or miss for sure. I hate white wine, but like Lindemans Cuvee Renee quite a bit, and I must have stood there huffing Saison-Brett for ten minutes before finally drinking it. I heard Duchesse de Bourgnone was a good gateway into sours, but I thought it was sweet as all hell, and not in a good way.

I don't think I've ever even seen a gose. I'd give my left nipple to try one, though.

Well, maybe I'd loan it out for a couple of days.

15. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

It's a great beer, and it is brewed with brettanomyces, but it's not a sour.

ncaudle likes this.
  16. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Personally, I think Rayon Vert is a band aid rubber bomb and wretch anytime someone compares it to Orval. :eek:

If you like it, please continue to enjoy the beer because my palate isn't yours.

It definitely isn't a sour.

Brett beers aren't always sour. There are a few different strains of Brett. Some of them add some sourness like cherry pie or pineapple and some of them produce barnyard which isn't very sour. The sourest beers use lactobacillus and pediococus and sometimes they contain Brett.

checktherhyme and MIA4IPA like this.
  17. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

That's what I'm thinking.

18. Everyone prefers different things. You will be fine. Be true to your heart.

GRG1313 likes this.
  19. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

So you thought Petrus Aged was too sour but Consecration wasn't? Am I the only one that thinks this is a little odd? Consecration has always come off quite a bit more sour to me than Petrus (although I'm a huge fan of both).

Anyways, if you're leaning towards the darker sours, there's no shortage of recommendations here. I would add Monks Flemish Sour if you can get it, Great darker sour that doesn't hit you over the head with tartness.

But if you want me to be frank, let me give you these words of wisdom. Run from sours. Run far, far away, while your wallet still has money in it.

khofer3839 likes this.
  20. Be cautious of Gose as they are not all sour.

GRG1313 and RobertColianni like this.
  21. No, I thought the same thing, cjoc83.

ncaudle likes this.
  22. I actually liked Petrus Aged Pale and was surprised. I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. I had another sour at Blue Star here in San Antonio and it was weird. Tasted like straight pickle juice. But then again their beers aren't all that great. (I had their pale ale and it tasted like metal. Not like drinking out of a can and being like "cans sucks tastes like metal blah blah.")
    I'm interested in trying more because I like the style and like any other there are gonna be some beers I don't like.
    Also don't make yourself you like a style or a beer if you don't.

23. this. i don't know why anyone ever "tries to make themselves like sours". i drink sours because the moment the first drop of the first one i had passed my lips i knew that if i didn't continue to sate my desire i would be profoundly unhappy for the rest of my life. if you don't like them, be happy you're not spending 30 bucks on 12 oz bottles of beer! (not that you can't a. spend that much money on nonsours b. drink sours for cheaper than that, but i think my point is made)

24. ufmj

ufmj Savant (405) Florida Feb 15, 2013

Now that, sir, is dedication.

25. This!! I remember when I used to think $15 bombers were an expensive treat. Now most of the bottles I buy are over $20 :/

cjoc83 likes this.
  26. stealth

stealth Advocate (580) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Stopped reading after 'Petrus = Too Tart' and 'liked Consecration and Supplication.'

ncaudle and RobertColianni like this.
  27. How's that magic hat gose?

28. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I got the same vomit flavor from Petrus. I love lambics, wild ales, and gose, but that beer in particular just has a specific vomit flavor to it. Gross

mikecharley likes this.
  29. Of course... I was just mentioning another style to try (BPA) that is sweet,funky,slightly fruity,if he likes this he may go back and try Petrus Aged Pale or Rodenbach Grand Cru again and may start liking them or maybe not

30. I think it tastes more like spoiled yogurt than vomit. This is one sour I cannot tolerate, and I generally like em all

31. claytong

claytong Initiate (0) Vermont Feb 27, 2011

Their collaboration gose was incredible.

bobv likes this.
  32. claytong

claytong Initiate (0) Vermont Feb 27, 2011

And I'm a big hater of magic hat, I mean, really, it's magic hat

RobertColianni likes this.
  33. bobv

bobv Advocate (515) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Collab with Jamie Griffith, late of Trapp Lager, now with Lost Nation Brewing.
    Oh, and I may have poured it for you at VT Brewers Fest!

34. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Fuck Gose.

RobertColianni likes this.
  35. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (310) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I'd be curious to know what you would think of Boxers Rebellion (Definitely worth trading for), the acid is a little less in your face and the barrels give it so much smoothness, and complexity. As far as I know PA doesn't get it (Don't know about the philly area) but it would be awesome to HAVE to buy a WHOLE case. Its one of/if not, my favorite of the "pale" sours.

Supplication is I think is its fruited equal in terms of quality. The acid IS pretty in your face but the residual sugar adds little more body, and weight to balance out the mouthfeel. Where as the Gueuzes and Petrus have sharp lemons and sulfur, pepper, hay and grass in the background more to accent the acidic punch rather than neutralize it. Which can in theory resemble margarita/empty stomach/orange juice vomit.

But the barrels in Boxers rebellion tame the acid perfectly enough so that you get a feel for the style, but you aren't effectively drinking Preparation H.

Haven't had a Gose yet but Salt of the Earth is in line for the fridge.

Try more BPAs with brett, Reyon Vert, Orval... I actually just got Mischief Gone Wild from the same BA that gave me the salt of the earth...

36. Duchesse de Bourgogne definitely. That beer had so many different favors depending on the way you drank it it was incredible.

checktherhyme likes this.
  37. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

just keep trying them from time to time. i used to not really care for sours too, but i love them now

that's how it is for a lot of beer styles when i look back at things

38. Do yourself a favor and don't try Bonnie the Rare. It is an absolutely horrible beer. JK should be embarrassed, as professional brewers, to have bottled this and actually charged someone money for it. This is one of the reasons I no longer buy JK beers.

My review, and I think I was being generous:

Very light and thin with a weak head that dissipates to nothing in seconds. Almost no smell with just a whiff of "maybe something has turned in the fridge." Even the flavor of rare can't help this one. Water with a touch of plain yogurt and powdered vitamin C.

39. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Oh yeah, that one is AMAZING!
    There is a series of Belgian cafes in Milwaukee, and I had one of those on tap.
    Holy Jesus Hell, sublime.
    Sour, tart, malty, a touch of hops. And, physically, it is STUNNING! The way the light bounces off of it alone is fantastic. And, I won't forget the smell!

OregonGrown7 likes this.
  40. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I don't know, maybe you just don't like European sours since you enjoyed RR. Ever since my fiance tried that infected Pipework's Blue Lady Berliner Weiss, she can't drink Berliners, Gose, Flanders, etc., even though she used to enjoy them. Says they smell and taste rancid.

American Wild Ales though she tends to still enjoy. Boxers Revenge, Supplication, and even Lolita. No idea why that is or if there is any real measurable difference. Keep giving those a shot if you are determined to get into sours.