1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour, Saison, and Funk Round 3 Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by DaveHack, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (375) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Glad you like it. But wasn't the Blueberry from Upland?
  2. Yup, indeed it is!! Ha, I just had the cascade blueberry the other night and must've had it on the mind when typing.
  3. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I really like this!

I'll throw a little more praise for NJBeerNerd. The reason I met Mike is because he went out of his way to help me out before we had ever met. I had asked about finding Ghandi Bot in CT and he messaged me that he wasn't sure about Ghandi, but was going to MA for work and could pick me up some stuff. I asked if he needed money up front and told me to not worry about it. He proceeded to haul me almost $100 of beer before we even met. Since then, he has been nothing but more than generous and I'm not surprised he went out of his way to help out. He's been a great friend to me and one of the better examples of what being a true BA is all about.
  4. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Building office was closed by the time I got there, but I will go after it today! Looking forward to it.
  5. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Everything should have landed in Jacksonville
  6. Sweet baby Jesus......
  7. Real class act, awesome sauce!
  8. You two guys make me want to come up to Jersey for a visit. One of these days when I'm not poor. One day.
  9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

\

in case you don't know by now, GuisseppeFranco is NO JOKE!
  10. Agreed.

An update to our target: I checked on your box and it would appear that it should be landing early next week with a second swag box coming in a couple of days later. Hope your as happy with the box as we were in putting it together.
  11. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Anytime you want!
  12. JCDenver

Just opened up a great box from jconrick1. The haul:

Anchorage Galaxy White IPA
    Anchorage Love Buzz Saison
    Black Raven Pour Les Oiseaux
    Cascade Bourbonic Plague
    Cascade Sang Noir
    Cascade Sang Royal
    Cascade Strawberry
    Deschutes Dissident '10
    Goose Island Juliet
    Logsdon Seizon Bretta
    Upright Late Harvest
    Upright Seven

Really excited about all these, thanks again!

[​IMG]
  13. That box is no joke!!!
  14. This bodes well for you
  15. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

Co-sign... seems every time we hangout we always touch on the subject of how awesome and generous Mike is.
  16. Really glad you like it. I tried to hit some wants, some should be wants and a many of my favorites.

Cheers!
    Jeff

P.S. - The Black Raven Saison, there are two batches of this in bottles, this is batch 1, which in my opinion is much more developed and superior to the new batch that is out now.
  17. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Received a great box from DonFrap (and perhaps a few other MA BAs?)
    [​IMG]

Hill Farmstead Long Stem glass (You pretty much read my mind)
    HF Anna 750ml - Want! Been getting back into HF lately
    HF Clara 750ml - more HF
    HF Vera Mae 750ml - Want
    Night Shift Ever Weisse 750ml - Obscure Want! Berliner weissbier fermented with strawberry, kiwi and hibiscus
    Weyerbacher Sour Black 750ml
    De Proef & Hair of the Dog Flanders Fred 750ml
    Cisco Lady of the Woods 750ml - Been meaning to pick this one but have too much beer so I haven't spend the $; Had actually been thinking about adding to my wants list for this BIF. Thanks!
    RR Sanctification b6 375ml - Always a want
    Hof ten Dormaal Wit Goud 375ml
    Boulevard Love Child No. 2 - Big fan of this beer
    Boulevard Tulip glass (Excellent pick, like the style & I somehow don't have any Blvd glasses)

Thanks very much for the great box!
  18. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

Glad everything arrived safely, sorry for the late arrival, there were some shipping issues!
    I was assisted by a few MA BAs: jaasen64, Auror, iflah45, hevvymetalhippie, and shawdeuce22!

19. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

A box arrived today from Tejas:

[​IMG]
    sour saison and funk bif

Fantome Noel Always solid!
    Jester King Boxer's Revenge and Das Wunderkind! Excited for both!
    Cascade Noyaux Love This!
    Avery Odio Equum Can't wait to try this!
    New Belgium Tart Lychee I make sure this is always on hand!
    Goose Island Juliet Love this!
    And my first Crooked Stave beers. Bourbon and Cognac Sentience!!!!

Thank you so much!
  20. So after much delay my box is en route to a town that installed one of the first automatic traffic signals in the United States. Box went out yesterday and should arrive sometime tommorrow.
  21. [​IMG]
    Untitled by DaveHack, on Flickr

Box landed today!

Logsdon Far West Vlaming (want)
    Logsdon Oak Aged Bretta (want, LOVE Logsdon)
    Anchorage Love Buzz
    Cascade Kriek (actually haven't had this yet)
    Epic Black Cherry Void (can't find anything on this?? Sounds like I'm going to love it though)
    Dissident '12
    Gigantic City that Never Sleeps (want)
    Anchorage White IPA
    Upright Late Harvest (LOVE Upright)
    Cascade Noyaux (want)
    Cantillon Vigneronne (duh, it's cantillon!!!)

Thanks Libbey and LordKrystic!! Awesome box!
  22. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

there's another box with one more bottle, two pieces of swag, and a non theme bottle (a thank you for running the show) going out tomorrow.
  23. JCDenver

That's from me. Had to substitute the Lychee for something that absolutely refused to be released on time. Which might be a little Christmas surprise....
  24. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Thank you for an absolutely awesome box. I can't wait to try all the beers that are new to me and revisit some old friends. Thanks again for a very thoughtful box!
  25. What?! You guys did any awesome job already! Color me humbled!
  26. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for the great box of goodness. It is much appreciated
    Bruery Acer Quercus
    Olde Hickory Saison Gee
    Upland Gilgamesh
    New Glarus Enigma
    Pipeworks Well Read Temptress
    2012 BCBS
    Jester King Mad Meg
    New Glarus Serendipity
    Bruery Sans Pagaie
    Olde Hickory Orion
    Avery Immitis
    Avery Dihos Dactylion
    Pipeworks Crappie Christmas
    Bruery Sour in the Rye
    RR Salvation.

Thanks again sir!
  27. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (405) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

I am sad this BIF is almost over, this was a great BIF for everyone involved. Somebody gonna start the next one in like a month? haha, if not, I will!
  28. I'd sit on that Cherry Void for a couple more months. It was still in the process of carbing itself up when it was released a month ago. Best offering I've had from Epic Ales to date.

The Anchorage Love Buzz was one of my favorite offerings of 2012. Enjoy the beers Dave and thanks again for running this.
  29. My box has landed in Indiana, it appears a neighbor or a doorman or something has signed for the box. Let me know its arrived safe.
  30. My box finally went out today, really sorry my target had to wait this long. Hope he likes.
  31. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (125) Indiana Feb 8, 2012

I just picked up a box from the office and it is awesome. Pictures soon to follow. Thank you so much Spilly for a great selection, cant wait to try a few of these that I've never had.

Forest & Main Marius
    Grassroots Brewing Sankt Hans
    Dock Street Brewing man full of FUNK porter
    HF Anna
    HF Clara
    Lambickx 2009 private domain
    Cantillon 2012 Classic Gueuze
    The Brewery Oude Tart
    Anchorage Brewing Galaxy White IPA
    RR Supplication
    RR Consecration

and as a bonus

HF Glass

Such and amazing box, thanks a ton man.

32. Glad it got there safeand that you're digging the bottles sent. Thanks to Davehack for running this bif. Looking forward to next go-round.
  33. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

So I need to throw another massive thank you out to the community.

Joseph out of CA (not sure on a BA handle, please step up!) sent a 3 bottle shipper (with a nice message written on the box) to me yesterday that contained:

750ml Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze 2012
    Bruery Oude Tart
    Cascade Blueberry

Again I am absolutely humbled by the generosity of this community and Mike / Joseph your awesomeness will not go un-noticed (now I just need to think of a good idea for a "The Community is still alive and strong" LIF).

Really appreciate the effort that DaveHack put into this BIF, and a massive thank you to NJBeerNerd (Mike) and Joesph for the great boxes. Two class act people for sure!

Cheers!
    ~Tony
  34. Yeah, so I'm pretty much in this BIF until I die, may be the most awesome thing ever. Any additional round please include me, I have done all 3 rounds and I can't think of one that I've enjoyed more. The generosity of this particular round is simply staggering and I'm so happy to be involved.

Special shout out to DaveHack for running this one the way it should be run.

BIF's like this is why the BA community is so great, with everyone sending great boxes back and forth and being so generous. Just can't say enough positive about this and all of you.
    Happy holidays!
    Jeff
  35. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Tony,

Glad you enjoyed the box. I hope it stops the sting a little bit. Stay thirsty my friend.

I too am looking forward to the next round.

Joe
  36. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Joe-

Again just wanted to personally thank you, another totally unexpected box that really knocked me out. I really hope I get JP7161 or NJBeerNerd as my target in Round 4 of Saison, Sour and Funk...

Thanks again and Cheers!
    ~Tony
  37. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (405) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Well I am more than willing to head the next round of this if everyone would be interested. Granted we need to get through the holidays, etc. Aim for a ship date in February maybe?
  38. I'm looking over my records, looks like everything is accounted for. If anyone is still missing a box, PLEASE let me know....This has been an overwhelming success (at least as far as I'm concerned :)) I'd be happy to be involved in another...I see there are some volunteers willing to take over. I'm not a fan of running things like this, but I wanted it to live on as it is my favoritist BIF. So, if there is someone that wants to take the reigns, feel free....if not, I'd run it again. Cheers to all and thanks for making a smooth and easy BIF. (As a side note, the few 'issues' we did have have been resolved through sheer generosity and a BA trying to make it right)

Cheers!
    Dave
  39. [​IMG]
    Untitled by DaveHack, on Flickr

So I get this box today and can't figure out for the life of me where it came from...then it hits me, libbey and LordKrystic! If I'm wrong, let me know....awesome box, I'm very excited! Thanks!! If it isn't from you, I have a secret admirer (I am pretty smoking hot!)...Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
  40. Dat would be us. Cheers Dave!

Devils Kriek was one of my favorites from 2012. Sadly D.O.N.G. but the glass was sweet and seemed like a nice NW fit for the box.