1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour, Saison and Funk Round 4 Hints and Hauls!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Kmccabe33, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (405) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Figured I would go ahead and get this going. Here are the rules just so everyone can see them again:

[​IMG]
    The idea for this one is a box filled with lambics, wilds, berliners, saisons, farmhouse goses, etc as well as anything and everything else that has Brett or is otherwise rustic or funky.

The rules:

- At least 6 beers, with a minimum of 150oz.
    - All beers must have an rAvg of 4.0 or higher at the time you send them
    - Try to find fun and exciting bottles / growlers that your target otherwise wouldn't likely be able to try
    - Quantity is good, quality is better! ;)

I'm looking for a ship date March 1, 2013.

I'd like to cap this at about 20. Preference to past victims, err... participants.

If you're interested, reply to this thread and also BM me your contact info. I'll limit it to people with at least a few trades under their belt, though if you're a newbie and want to lineup an experienced trader as a sponsor, that works as well.

Targets should be out early next week, or sooner if it fills up fast.

I'm very excited to get this one going again. Here are the rules:

- The shipping date is Friday March 1, 2013(At the latest)
    - At least 6 beers, with a minimum of 150oz.
    - All beers must either:
    (1) be a want; or
    (2) have an rAvg of at least 4.0 on Beer Advocate at the time of shipping
    - All beers must be saisons or anything that is funky and/or sour. This includes all the sour styles on BA as well as any other beers that are listed under a different style, but were intentionally soured or inoculated with Brett.

If you can't hit wants, please try to find fun and exciting bottles / growlers that your target otherwise wouldn't likely be able to try. If, after you've hit the minimum within the guidelines, you want to add something that doesn't quite fit the 'rules' (homebrew or less than perfect rated, but still cool beer) go for it!

Remember, this is what your targets face should look like when opening your box 'o funk:

Let the games begin!
  2. 1. My target is west of me.
    2. I'm much cooler than my target.
    3. My target might be a transvestite prostitute, then again maybe not.
  3. Hint #1

Team LLL's (lordkrystic,lazerlobe,libbey) target has not posted in this thread yet.
  4. Sorry Dave no PNW double dipping for you!
  5. Kmccabe33

My target is north of me...and is less than 1100 miles driving. How much less you may ask? That's the surprise.
  6. Soonami

Soonami Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

My target is in the Chicagoland area. Mostly whales on their wants, but also some normal stuff. I'll do my best, they'll probably get some localish stuff and maybe some beers from overseas
  7. lymph

lymph Aficionado (170) California May 10, 2010

My target is located east of me.
  8. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

The obligatory first clue. My target is east of me. BTW - I live in So Cal.
  9. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (125) Indiana Feb 8, 2012

I am not my target... sadly
  10. Zapy

I had also forgotten to talk about my wants. I am all good the recent Bruery stuff. I'm a big fan of pretty much all sours, and Saison always hits the soft spot. I tend to favor acidity complementing the funk, but I won't shy away from anything.

I am hoping that a local brewery opens their new location before the ship window. They make some spectacular stuff and should be able to fill growlers once they get everything sorted out.

Now for another completely generic hint. My target's state touches a large body of water
  11. Wanna bet? I got a 6 pack of Vlad coming. ;)
  12. Well, guess that rules libbey out!
  13. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

My target is north of me, their state touches a large body of water, and likes Gueuze. :)
  14. stevec32

stevec32 Savant (355) New York Mar 26, 2012

Shipping west to a target that has not posted in this thread yet
  15. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

My target lives west of me but I was in his home state this past weekend.
  16. stevec32

Box is coming together nicely. Waiting to receive an american wild ale made by a texas brewery which happens to be on my targets want list and I should be good to go.
  17. willseph

I have one more want on my target's wants list from an in-person trade with a buddy, then I'm good to go. The brewery for that beer is in Belgium, I've been there three times, and once drove 500mi to get there from Frankfurt and back in one day. You guys are awfully quiet with the hints!
  18. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Just got back from a trip to NY to visit family and managed to pick up a beer on my target's want list. First hint: I'm shipping east, further east than jp7161.
  19. lymph

lymph Aficionado (170) California May 10, 2010

I have a couple more bottles to pick up over the next week, but I should be able to hit 100% wants. My box will be going to a state I have shipped to before.
  20. Starting to put together my target's box and should be able to hit a good number of wants. I'll be shipping to the opposite coast.
  21. Although it will be cold enough at times, there is NO snow in the forecast for the next 5 days where I'm sending to.
  22. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

This may be the first time I can't hit almost all wants but I'll be able to hit 3 or 4 and round out the rest of the box with a solid west coast assortment of sours, saisons and/or funk.
  23. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Im shipping west to someone ive been in a bif with before.
  24. jp7161

I think I will be able to fill a 12 bottle shipper with all wants.
  25. Baller! Alright, game on :)
  26. jp7161

That's how us So Cal BA's roll.

Just got lucky with a great target.
  27. Zapy

I've been slacking in the hints department. My target has already posted on this thread and the box is coming along nicely. Still have my fingers crossed on the growler of a well regarded local sour, but its hard to tell if they'll be open and pouring on time to get it into the box.
  28. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

box is coming together quite lovely...

my target does not have a date with Nemo this weekend
  29. cdb636

cdb636 Disciple (70) Illinois Apr 2, 2012

Hints!!

The beers, many of which are on my target's wants list, will be sent east. My target lives in a state I visited for the first time last year. My target's state has multiple teams in each major sport.

That is all for now. Talk amongst yourselves.
  30. stevec32

Hint #2

If I were to drive my box to my target it would take under 13 hours. (Although fedex will probably take much longer)
  31. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

My box is traveling from a city near a large body of water to another next to a large body of water.
  32. stevec32

Dropped my box off at fedex today and it is scheduled to arrive wednesday so I better drop some more hints.

My target is about a hour away from a big city. This big city has atleast one team in all four major sports. One of those teams may or may not be cursed.

As for the box: It weighed in at 32 pounds, contained 10 bottles from 8 different states (only 1 bottle from NY) with an average rating on BA of 4.15,
  33. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Well I'd say this would be coming to me as the Cubs might well be cursed. But I'm less than an hour away from Chicago...

Cheers!
  34. willseph

Depending on which maps program you use...I'm 59 mins or 1 hour 6 minutes...ahhhhh the anticipation!
  35. willseph

Another hint for my target:

He has had many beers from my region in the past week. And the high temp in his city today will be double what the high in my town will be.
  36. Kmccabe33

Had a couple beers this weekend from my targets home state.
  37. I am working on getting a few extra wants from my targets list, should round out a nice box.
    For once, I am not shipping to California.
  38. jp7161

Here are the ratings for the beers I am sending to my target - all wants!

mmmmm, mmmmm, good!
  39. Hope that isn't me, I only drink 4.6 and higher.
  40. Kmccabe33

Hahaha legit LOL'd