1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour, Saison and Funk Round 4 Hints and Hauls!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Kmccabe33, Feb 1, 2013.

1. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

and here is me getting slayed by Gonzoillini

[​IMG]

12 bottle shipper

[​IMG]

Lips of Faith Eric's Ale (want)
    Supplication (permawant)
    Lips of Faith Brett Beer (want)
    Anna (HF is always welcome here)
    Surly Five (want)
    Lolita (always good)

[​IMG]

Upright Flora Rustica (want)
    Upland Rasp Lambic (want!)
    Gilgamesh (uber want)
    Love Child 2 (want)
    Cuvee Saint Gilloise (I'm a fanboy)
    Rose de Gambrinus (did I mention I'm a loon fanboy?)

thanks so much Tony for this thoughtful and generous box... I think some other BA's in NJ might be happy that we are drinking together this Saturday

2. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Hey-

Glad you enjoyed the contents and that everything arrived safe and sound (I still always get a wee bit nervous when sending out 12 bottle cardboard lay down shippers).

I really debated whether or not to include the Brett Beer from New Belgium (as I am not a fan), but as it was a want I included it. Seeing other boxes in this BIF made me up my game to include the second Cantillon and the Gilgamesh.

Looking forward to seeing some more hauls!

Cheers!

3. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (425) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

Tony, you just wreck peoples porches! Holy hell.

4. NJOssie

thanks again, regardless of what I may have heard about Brett Beer, I have yet to try it myself so I had to keep it on my wants and am looking forward to trying.

Cheers!

Os

5. stevec32

stevec32 Savant (355) New York Mar 26, 2012

Great Box!

I'm excited to see the rest of the hauls in the next week or so. That reminds me wernt we promised a haul last night? ;-)

6. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Some people on BA are just awesome. Just got a single bottle shipper from my sender in Round 3 of this BIF. He had already sent way more than necessary but had hinted he wanted to include another bottle but the release kept getting pushed back. Today a bottle of Funk Metal showed up. Awesomeness!

7. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (345) California Dec 22, 2011

Great job Tony!

8. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

Sorry for being a jerk and not posting sooner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beers:
    Batch 1 JP Fuego Del Otono
    Pipeworks Flower Child
    FFF Deesko
    NG Serendipity
    NG R&D Sour Ale
    NG R&D Blonde Ale
    NG Apple
    NG Enigma
    JP La Roja Gran Reserve
    Half Acre Big Hugs (love beer and cats!)
    BB Pt5
    2 Homebrewed Saisons

Lots of wants and beers that I am ecstatic to try. Not sure who the BA is that sent this to me though.

To my recipient. The box is on it's way, I'm sorry it took a little longer that I wanted. I forgot to include a note, but my BA username is a play on my last name so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

9. usofar

Tomorrow... A box lands in a city who's name could be a Russian river beer. It follows the-tion rule.

10. Kmccabe33

Great hint, I am struggling to think of a city name ending in -tion. Trying not to cheat and look at the spreadsheet! Hahaha

11. Got stuck in London for work a few extras days and came home to my BIF box which was a nice surprise. Not sure who its from but thanks for beers from a lot of my favorites!

[​IMG]

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 (want) - Been wanting to try this one for a while!
    3F Oude Gueuze (want) - Can never go wrong with 3F Gueuzes
    Cigar City Guava Groove - Haven't had this one in a while but enjoyed it when I did
    Tilquin Gueuze (want) - mmmm Gueuze
    Cascade Apricot - Probably my favorite Cascade
    Cascade Kriek - Had this once a while ago and looking forward to trying it again
    Cascade Blueberry - Looking forward to sharing this one at a tasting tomorrow
    Cascade Noyaux (want) - Only had one of these and was planning on opening it tomorrow so perfect timing to have another!
    Bruery Oude Tart - Solid Flanders Red

12. DaBubs

DaBubs Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Box is in FexEx's hands now, should be delivered mid-next week.

Box contains 12 bottles.
    10 wants: 1 want is off-style, 1 want is maybe accidentally sort of on-style;
    2 delicious s/b wants: one from 2010, one released 45 days ago.

I know these clues are probably a dead end, since there is such a vast pool of possible beers out there. Sorry about that.

13. Kmccabe33

Well my porch just got mauled. Pics to follow.

14. jp7161

Boo-Ya

15. Kmccabe33

Jaw is still permanently positioned on the floor. Legitimately mind blow. Easily #1 or #2 box I have ever received. Joe(JP7161) literally killed it, I am about to mail a trophy for the craziness that are your boxes.

[​IMG]

- Casecase Vlad the Imp Aler (Huge huge want, super stoked)
    - Logdons Seizoen Bretta (MEGA Want)
    - Cascade Kriek (Always a Huge Want, love it)

[​IMG]
    -Cantillon Fou Foune(Uh....no need to say this is a HUGE want)
    -Cantillon Iris(Again...Loons, yes please, especially love Iris because it is so different)
    -Bruery Filmishmish (Huge huge want, any bruery sour is something I desperately want)
    -Bruery Otiose (Again, Bruery+Sours=Me needing new pants)

[​IMG]
    -Lost Abbey Framboise De Amorosa (Honestly had not heard of this, instant want, Framboise is my favorite Lambic)
    -Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett Brandy Barrel (Another one that was not a want as I did not know of it, now that I've read the description, this sounds EPIC)
    - Russian River Beat(Huge always epic want)
    -Russian River Temptation (Only RR bottled sour I have not had, super stoked)
    -Russian River Consecration (Perma Want, some people don't like it, I LOVE it)

Joe, words cannot thank you enough. You are one great BA, and I will have to make this up to you at some point in the near future! God damn I love this BIF.

16. NJOssie

well done, sir! well done!

17. Joe kills it yet again! Nicely done!

18. usofar

Box delivered in Florida.

19. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Porch got pounded by a killer box from California. Thanks to usofar (I believe)!

[​IMG]
    Lost Abbey Framboise De Amorosa
    Lost Abbey Red Poppey
    Russian River Temptation (Want!)
    Russian River Framboise For A Cure :eek: (Huge Want, I foresee an awesome framboise tasting in my future, thank you!)
    Russian River Sanctification (Can never get enough RR)
    Captain Lawrence Hops N Roses

[​IMG]
    Telegraph Reserve Wheat (Want, love berliners, can't wait to try it)
    Southampton Cuvee des Fleurs (always love to try fun new brews with flowers)
    Cascade Sang Royal :eek: (Huge Want, are you kidding me?!)
    Cantillon Fou'Foune (Want, you shouldn't have...)
    Epic Elder Brett Golden

[​IMG]
    Lost Abbey Teku (My first teku, can't wait to christen it with some Red Poppey)
    Awesome Societe Brewing Shirt

You went above and beyond with this box, thanks so much!

20. NJOssie

another killer box!

21. usofar

Yeah it's from me. I think I'm like 1 for 9 on actually including a note in the box. Since FFAC was a want I figured you should have the "other" framboise from CA. My porch got pounded... I had to make sure I returned the favor. I read through a ton of your old posts and found Sanctification to be a beer you seemed to have not had either (at least recently). Also, that Elder Brett is a collaboration beer between Epic and Crooked Stave and is one of my current favorite saisons.

Cheers and Enjoy.

22. jp7161

Glad you liked it. Not sure it topped Mike's box but I had to try.

Joe

23. Damn. Mike rolls strong. He crushed me in the Sour BIF too. This is a hell of a box.

24. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

A really great box from Mikeraser dropped today containing the following:

[​IMG]

Captain Lawrence Rosso e Marrone (Batch 3) (Want)
    Captain Lawrence Mother Barrel Select (Batch 1, 4/2012)
    Crooked Stave Surette Reserva Chardonnay Barrel
    McKenzie Irma Extra (Unlabeled bottle that has a great backstory, loved this beer when I first had it a few years ago, can't wait to revisit it) (Want)
    McKenzie Saison Vautor Du Bois (Unlabeled bottle that has a great backstory, same story as with Irma Extra) (Want)
    Ithaca LeBleu (Batch !041) (Want)
    Crooked Stave Oculus
    Crooked Stave Nightmare on Brett Bourbon Barrel (Want)
    Russian River Beatification Batch 5 (1/10/2012) (Want)
    Russian River Framboise For the Cure (2012) (Want)
    Grandview Peach Lambic (A Mikeraser homebrew sour which I've heard about, really looking forward to sharing this one!)
    Troegs Mini Snifter (Awesome, its absurd how much I enjoy this sidehobby)

An absolutely stellar box that represents some great beers from some of my favorite breweries. McKenzie in particular is one of my favorite breweries that still flies massively under the radar as very little bottled product makes it out. Can't wait to share Mike's Peach Lambic (Which has the most professional looking label I've ever seen on a homebrew, spent a good 5 minutes searching RateBeer / BeerAdvocate looking for it...)

Cheers!

25. Glad you're happy with the box. Really sorry about not labeling the Homebrew, I always forget to mention that until its too late. I agree about McKenzie. They make such good beers and I was excited to see you had them on your wants list. I had to track some down for you. Enjoy!

26. Vatour Du Bois!? Awesome, i love that stuff. That box is insane, love it! Good job!

27. Soonami

Box from me left Rockford, IL this morning and is out for delivery...

28. I've had several experiences with VdB and Irma...any chance we can hear the back story?

29. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Picked up another nice bottle today and that should complete my box, I think..

30. Someone has beer.

31. I <3 the PNW and jconrick1 !!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by DaveHack

Upright Sole Comp Lactovasilios
    Cascade Bottleworks XIV
    Upright Sole Comp Saison du Bloget
    Cascade Noyaux
    Commons Flemish Kiss
    Upright Gose

[​IMG]
    Untitled by DaveHack

Upright Four Play
    Anchorage Love Buzz
    Cascade Strawberry
    Logsdon Seizoen Bretta
    Upright Seven
    Upright Late Harvest

I LOVE this box!!!! There isn't one beer here that I can't wait to drink!! Thanks a ton, this is the best BIF out there...can't wait until the next round!!

32. lymph

lymph Aficionado (180) California May 10, 2010

Received a second box from Willseph yesterday with an Odio Equum (love this beer - one of my favs from Avery) and a Duchessic (never was able to try this so I am really excited to open it).
    Thank you once again Willseph for the awesome boxes!

33. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

I was absolutely DESTROYED by Soonami yesterday. Needed all night to recover, but I have enough strength now to post pics. Here's the (ridiculous) haul:

[​IMG]

Wow. Let's get a little more detailed.

[​IMG]

Tired Hands Glass (love new stemware, this is my new favorite)
    Tired Hands FarmHands growler (WANT! fiancee and I enjoyed this last night, it was fantastic)
    Cascade Kriek 2010 (WANT! Never had this one, cannot wait to try it)
    New Glarus Serendipity (Perma-want! Saves me a trip from going to cheese land)
    RR Sanctification (Batch 5. Perma-want! Love anything ending in -tion)

[​IMG]

2012 Flanders Red (homebrew? Can't wait to try, I love me some Flanders beers)
    Cantillon Vigneronne (WANT!!!)

[​IMG]

FFF Oude Kriek 2011 (Perma-want, always a favorite)
    Deschutes Dissident (2010, WANT! Never had this beaut)
    Brasserie a Vapeur Saison de Pipaix (2002!!! Wow, this will be fantastic)
    Tired Hands Ancient Knovvledge (Sounds very interesting, this will be going down tomorrow night)
    Fantome tulip (Glassware WANT!!! This is now the numero uno glass in my collection)

HUGE thanks to Michael, you really killed this box. Hit all wants to should be wants, got some great fresh growlers, and amazing glassware. Thanks!!

34. Soonami

Im
    I'm glad you liked everything and all the bottles (and especially the glasses) survived. I wasn't able to make either TH bottle releases, so I hope the growlers are a decent consolation. You sent out a great box so I just wanted to make sure you weren't disappointed with your haul

35. Last hint....my target(s) boxes are about to land tomorrow. Menage a tois isn't easy to pack for!

36. Only 2 liked it?? Get on it, you know who you are! ;)

37. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (135) Indiana Feb 8, 2012

Well the last few items I've been holding out for my target seem to be wanting to take their sweet ass time to get here so I think I'm going to have to split the shipment in half to not continue blowing though the deadline. I should half the first box out shortly to be delivered by this weekend

38. Fuck, I want to post some useless meme or video, but we are not allowed....On truck for delivery...for like 12 fucking hours?!? C'mon UPS, my peeps need beer!!!!!

(I just polished a 1L Mrs. Pigman (look it up fucker!) and I'm really feeling it. Hence the reason I should NOT be posting on the internets)

39. Ups delivers late to my house. Who did you ship to?

40. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

I think it went to my place, I'll let you know when I get back from Black Raven