1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour/Saison/Funk Tasting at Brouwer's Aug 25th

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mages64, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Hello everyone in the Seattle metro area! Myself and Ryan are hosting the 2nd annual beeradvocate sour tasting this Saturday from 11am until we run out of beer:) this will be th 8th tasting I've organized so we'd certainly like to include new people especially if you are new to the area:) here's the details:
    Where: Brouwer's cafe upstairs
    When: Aug 25th 11am-latest 7pm but whenever you want
    What to bring: 2-3 bottles of sours, Saison's or funky beers to share with 10-14 people. There is no requirement for rarity. If you want to bring Upright 4 and Bruxe, by all means:) that is not to say you can't bring rare stuff. We will have Isabelle Proximus and cable car as well as lots of other obscure stuff.
    How much: please bring 40$ cash. This will go to lunch, tip, room reservation, water glasses, tasting glasses, not having to clean up after etc. BM me or waltersrj if interested and I'll send you the link for the sign-up spreadsheet and which bottles everyone else is bringing so we don't overlap. See you Saturday!
    Dan

2. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I've been pumped for this for months...it's almost here. Who's joining is?!? I'd love to meet some newbies in the area!

3. Very, very tempting, but I am going to a Whiskey dinner that night. I'm not sure my liver could surive all that in one day!

4. waltersrj

If you come I'll be opening a 2007 Cable Car, 2004 Fantome La Gourmand, and another surprise whale :)
    Dan's opening Izzy, 2001 Fantome Noel, and McKenzie Vatoure too...you should come.

HuskyinPDX likes this.
  5. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

God, that lineup sounds amazing. I work all day though. Any chance you'd rather host it at a lakeside restaurant/bar in South Everett instead? ;)

6. derkruk

derkruk Aficionado (130) Washington Oct 22, 2004

No. ;-)

waltersrj likes this.
  7. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

You're making me cry. I really, really wish I could make it.

8. I am going to try and make it. I will know if it is possible on Thursday.

9. waltersrj

Perhaps you should rearrange your priorities ;)

10. waltersrj

Shoot me a PM thursday when you find out if you can come or not and i'll shoot you the google doc for the event so you can fill out what you'll bring! Hope to see you there. - Ryan

11. csano

Do you think I can hide a baby in a carrier under an XL t-shirt? ;)

12. waltersrj

A professional BA can hide anything under an XL t-shirt :)

csano likes this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Hey! One of those tiny lil XLs can't hide anything. Some of my 3Xs however, you could hide the whole Paraguayan Navy under;)!

14. Mages64

One spot left:)

15. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I'm in.

16. waltersrj

ALL FULL!!!

bfg75 likes this.
  17. waltersrj

Well gents we've got a heck of a lineup for Saturday! Eat a big breakfast, we will see you at 11!

18. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Beer doesn't count as breakfast?

19. aedeos

aedeos Aficionado (150) Washington Dec 15, 2007

Balls. I went to the Mariners instead of checking in on this. Alas.

20. My thoughts exactly. That's what breakfast stouts are for. Duhhh

Then you can pull one of the greatest Arrested Development quotes as you drink before the event starts "That one didn't count" - Lucille Bluth

waltersrj likes this.
  21. waltersrj

If someone brings a Hill Farmstead Ann I will most certainly call it "egg" "Annabelle" "her" etc throughout the day.

aedeos likes this.
  22. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

Sounds awesome! I missed this whole thread...but then again I'm never on the forums anymore. Enjoy guys. I've had a few of what's been listed, but the IP and Cable Car sound tasty!

ninja edit: didn't realize the topic was sour AND regular saison tasting :p

23. waltersrj

Who's ready for the awesome tasting tomorrow?

24. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Me from the future!!!

25. csano

How did it go? Which beers were the highlights of the day?

26. waltersrj

I thought the top 5 were (in order):
    Izzy, T25, Peche n Brett, Fantome Extra Sour, and Fantasia.
    Cable Car 07 was good but past it's prime (still a fun tick to share). :)

27. Izzy that high up, really? I thought she was the under performer of the 3 LA Sours(CC,DDG,Izzy)

28. I would agree, but trade Izzy for CC. FES surprised me the most.

29. waltersrj

You really loved my 07 CC?!? I'm stoked! I liked it but thought it just wasn't as sour as expected. Glad you liked it!

30. Mages64

Honestly my favorite really was Izzy. I've had it before and it was even better than I remembered. But the standout new beer of the night was Cisco's Monomoy Kriek. It was delightful!!!!

31. waltersrj

Monomoy was delightful! I've been wanting to try some Cisco sours for awhile now. Great tasting as usual Dan! Thanks for the help setting it up! Dec. 8th will be insane!

32. csano

The Pechish Woods and Lady of the Woods are pretty good as well. I've got one more bottle of each. Let me know if you're interested and I'll bring them to a future tasting.

There were some concerns about the Monomoy Kriek being flat. I've got a bottle sitting in my cellar that I've been waiting to open. Was there a noticeable lack of carbonation?

33. Mages64

I honestly don't remember there being any lack of carbonation. I'd open it soon though! the cherry flavor was delightful!

34. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, there were no carbonation issues as far as I could tell.

Great tasting, thanks to everyone who came, it was really fun. As far as favorites go I would say Izzy, Peche 'n Brett and Fantasia were probably my top three...followed by the Monomoy, T25 and Extra Sour.

35. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

I was really surprised by how good T25 was. There had been lots of medicore reviews, and I really loved it. I also enjoyed the Belmont 15 quite a bit.