1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sour Saisons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Zach136, Jan 2, 2013.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

2. Jolly Pumpkin IO Saison is phenomenal; get a bottle if at all possible.

3. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Interlude is an incredibly unique and delicious beer; there's really nothing I've had that compares to it. I just had some on-tap recently, and I was struck by the vinous notes and oak character. I wouldn't call it a Saison, and I wouldn't call it a Sour. It's just Interlude.

As for Sour saisons, I really don't know what you're looking for. Everyone's palate is different, and those who find Rodenbach Grand Cru intensely sour would be shocked at the level of sourness in a Cantillon Kriek. What exactly are you looking for? A saison fermented with wild yeast? Or just something really Bretty?

It's unfortunate but beautiful: there's only one Interlude.

Momar42 and Zach136 like this.
  4. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

In that case I better get back to the bar and drink more!

5. dasenebler

It varies year to year, but there's a fantastic wine character that comes through in the beer due to the Merlot and Sirah barrel aging. There aren't a lot of breweries using wine barrels, and I think that's what makes Interlude unique, along with the brilliant yeast character and tartness. Cheers.

Zach136 likes this.
  6. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Not a Saison but, this:
    • [​IMG]

luwak and cfrances33 like this.
  7. dasenebler

Is every beer this guy makes "with Brett"?

BrewBoone likes this.
  8. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

As of yet, yes. All are Brett'd & aged in wine barrels (usually Chard.)

9. I know it has been already mentioned, but Allagash Interlude is pretty fantastic! And living in North Carolina, Catawba Brewing (in Morganton, NC) is making some outstanding sours.

TNGabe likes this.
  10. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

If you look at Quality/Price ratio, it is pretty hard to beat Sofie.

BleepBloopBlap and Bay01 like this.
  11. Infected Guava Grove.

Bay01 likes this.
  12. I have been meaning to try this new style, this thread has inspired me, tomorrow I will go out and try HANNEPIN (sp?) I think I saw it on a shelf at Binnys.

13. Just had Crooked Stave's Saison the other day and it had a fantastic rustic character with a little tartness on the back end. An absolutely beautiful beer.

14. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I missed the Blackberry Saison. Catawba is going to blow up when they get the barrel program moved to Asheville and the tap room open. If they start bottling, they're going to put NC on the sour map.

15. lpotter

lpotter Savant (295) Pennsylvania Dec 13, 2008

Don't give up if you don't like Hennepin. I hate it, but saisons in general are delicious.

16. +1 to Logsdon Seizoen Bretta, if you can find one. So good. I wish I'd had more than one bottle. I'd also love to try Peche 'n Brett.

17. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Jolly Pumpkin sours everything to my knowledge.
    So their farmhouse lineup: Bam Biere, Bam Noire, and E.S. Bam (my fav) all qualify. No?

Zach136 likes this.
  18. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I like Brewery Vivant Zaison Imperial Saison. It's sweet and tart, reminds me of good hard cider. I don't tend to like saisons, so it could be total crap to people who do.​

19. dasenebler

Noble Rot was a pretty rad beer, and it's classified as a Saison. Has some grapes and funk in there, along with a lovely acidity, borderline sour. Cheers

luwak likes this.
  20. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Check out Prairie Ales.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  21. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Same. Actually I didn't find any brett. Still tasty and quite spicy saison.

22. I was going to suggest Prairie Somewhere. All of the Prairie beers that I've tried so far have been great!

23. This 'Brett' fellow must be a terribly busy guy. He seems to be involved in a lot of brewing.

joke

ADTaber and fmccormi like this.
  24. Love buzz has a light tart to it. Very good beer but not sour. Some might call it sour but I think its the orange peels and wine barrel.

Enjoy

25. You should try the new one Tralfmadorian, one of their best Belgians yet, excluding bottled stuff that's just tits.

26. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

All I know is that I'd like an IV of Sour in the Rye put into my arm.

Zach136 and afrokaze like this.
  27. bahnfire

bahnfire Savant (465) Vermont Jan 17, 2011

Grassroots Covivial Suarez is one worth seeking out. I think it is on par with Arthur and Anna.

Gosox8787 and afrokaze like this.
  28. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

A local brewery (Sante Adairius) has made a few that have been phenomenal, and they've only been open for 9 months - West Ashley, Love's Armor and Saison Bernice have all been amazing. Inspired me to make my own super funk/sour yeast blend cultivated from walez to make a sour version of my homebrew saison, can't wait to try it!

29. Fantome Saison (just the "regular" one)

30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Really liked the Suarez but I'd put it just a step below Anna, not that they're really all that similar except for their named style. Anna was almost perfect for a more traditional saison, while Suarez had some darker malts and hibiscus, which always seems to mesh well with the style.

31. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Jester King Das Uberkind for sure.. Many people like Wunderkind as well

32. The most recent batch wasn't funky. Also HF Flora in addition to the previously mentioned HF Saisons. Seems like all of theirs are tart.

33. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

[​IMG]

Crooked Stave's Saison Vieille....original batch.

34. Love Buzz is an interesting case, and to me, embodies the difficulty of defining "sour" within a style that isn't full-on sour.

My friends, some of whom are no fans of sour beers, all like Love Buzz and thought it was pretty sour. I, being someone who really enjoys sours and gueuze, thought it had some tartness, a hint of sour, but wouldn't really classify it as a "sour" saison.

Saisons already tow that line between "sour" and just "funky", so it makes the perception of a "sour" saison hard to define and entirely dependent upon personal taste and palette. At least, that's my two cents.

PS - I was blown away by Love Buzz and really hope that Anchorage decides to do another run or fifty. I really really REALLY want another bottle, but seem to have exhausted all my usual channels. I'm honestly lucky that I got the one bottle I did try.

35. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

misconception: brettanomyces makes beer sour

correct answer: pediococcus and lactobacillus makes beer sour.

Also, a sour saison would technically just be a Wild Ale, right?

Zach136 and fmccormi like this.
  36. raynmoon

That is what I alwasy thought.

Man this guy must be some celebrity brewer.

OldBluesNewBrews likes this.
  37. I'm glad someone else said this. I've always thought people confuse the general funkiness that can accompany brett beers with "sour", but I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to say something.

38. raynmoon

Lactobacillus released lactic acid when it eats simple sugars which makes the beer tart. I'm also pretty sure that acid is causing the head to reduce quickly, making it champagne like in body.

fmccormi likes this.
  39. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Savant (440) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2012

I did have it. I must agree, it was amazing. I wish I could try some of the bottled stuff. Never made it to any of the releases.

40. Crooked Stave Surette Riserva in Wine Barrels. Easily the best example of this style I've ever had.

ilovermont likes this.